log in or register to remove this ad

 

A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Their goal was to reach the Uldoon trail about a third of the way along its route, as it rose northward as it travelled east. East by south-east they travelled, and the winding criss-crossing old roads were a constant frustration to Hawthorne who set the route, and to Broun, who drove it. But they had no major setbacks in their navigation.

On the following day, they passed the ruins of Durlag's Tower. Many tales were told of the place: Dwarven treasures; fiendish traps; and undead or demonic horrors. It stood, quiet and crumbling, on its barren hill of volcanic rock. Broun was happy to turn the horses away from that place.

Two days later, they were reaching the outskirts of the Green Fields - leagues upon leagues of rolling grasslands. The coach travelled quickly on a good stretch of road - as much as six miles per hour without pushing the horses - but they took frequent breaks. Ruznami calculated that they were making forty miles per day, on average (though perhaps not all of it took them closer to the Uldoon Trail). Still, Hawthorne was satisfied with their progress.

The coach had slowed its pace to work its way up a short but steep hill. Broun was driving, with Crock Jon beside him. Shedrick was standing on the footman's board outside on the rear of the coach, and the others were inside, seated on the two comfortable benches (Argenti was in her amulet).

Suddenly, the gravel of the road heaved as the coach rolled over it. The horses pulled one way, and then another and the coach lurched. Broun kept the whole thing under control with ease, but he had not had time to fully grasp what had happened when Shedrick gave out a cry from the rear.

From the footman's only vantage, after the coach had gone over some sort of growing gravel lump, the road burst open and a massive cone-shaped head emerged, all teeth. It lunged at him, and it would have eaten him had he not grabbed with both hands onto the brass handle (which he normally held to keep himself on the board) and he pulled his lower body up as the creature snapped powerful jaws at him. The creature put its front, clawed feet on the footman's board as it reached for him, and it was heavy enough that the coach tipped down toward the rear, raising the driver's seat.

From inside, the creature's large claws made a raking noise along the back wall, loud enough to drown out Shedrick's cry. Not sure what else to do, Broun began to pull the horses to a stop. Still, there was enough forward momentum, that the creature, now fully above ground, fell off the board and the coach dropped its weight to the front with everyone shaken inside.

OOC: Bulette missed Shedrick, lucky for him.
Bulette vs Shedrick Bite: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11 for 4D12+4 = [10, 3, 12, 9]+4 = 38 Miss.
Would have killed him outright!
 

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Bulette
BuletteHill.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Shrubs, Rocks
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Crock Jon AC14 HP 36/36 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP12* SD 4/4
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 1/1
Hawthorne AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 3/4 (d6's)
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
(NPCs)
Broun AC11 HP 18/18 PP12*
-Coach AC13 HP 30/30 CC 4000lb (w/4 horses)
-Team AC11 HP 15ea PP11 SPD 60ft (4 horses)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 PP11
Bulette AC17 HP 94/94 PP16*
Young Bulette AC15 HP 24/24 PP14*
GM: Begin Round One
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Keep goin', Unc," says Crock Jon as he drops out of the cart and makes his way towards the beast. It towers over him, but not so much that he doesn't think he can get his hands on its hide. He reaches out, to try to hold the thing in place. It strains his muscles to do so. He is not sure if what he's grabbed is carapace or soil.

OOC: Move to I 10.
Action: Attempt to grapple: athletics vs. 1d20+6=14.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Crock Jon hopped down from the driver's perch as the coach slowed to a roll. He moved down the side of the road to the rear and when he saw the enormous hard-shelled creature, he took hold of its head plate and pulled...

OOC: Bulette Athletics vs JonCheck: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10 Jon wins!
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 7/Afternoon
Round 1

Ruznami was jolted awake as the coach rattled and bounced, tossing him from his seat. The wizard groaned and clawed himself rightside up as he pulled his wand..

“What’s going on?” he asked, hearing a roar from behind them. He opened the coach door and quickly jumped out to see a massive creature had erupted from the earth behind them.

“Ogham preserve us,” Ruz muttered, and cast a spell. Suddenly three more Ruznami’s appeared, and his arcane ward sprang up around him as the new half-orc member of the party rushed passed and actually grabbed the beast.

***

Mirror Image: (10r) 3 duplicates (AC 12) 6+ on 1d20 hits duplicate
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp

Save:
Move: To K10
Free Object Interaction: Draw wand
Action: Cast Mirror Image
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

DEFCON 1

Legend
"What in the world?!?" Hawthorne shouts as the carriage bounces and bounds. Once it comes to a stop and he can look out the carriage window to see the huge creature behind them, he gulps once and reaches for the door handle to fling it open. "We've got company!!!"

Hawthorne bounds down the steps of the carriage and tumbles in behind one of the trees to try and get out of the bulette's view... but the cover is not great and he doesn't think he gets himself very concealed. Once there Hawthorne simultaneously pulls out Argenti's necklace to allow her to re-appear, while also getting out his crossbow and loading it up ready to fire.

OOC: Move to K5.
Action to take out necklace.
Free Object Interaction to draw crossbow and load.
Bonus action (if enough cover in trees-- your call) to hide. Stealth (DEX): [4] + 4 = 8.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The cacophony of claws, screams, and erupting earth reached Argenti in her necklace. Unsure of what was going on, she apparated next to Hawthorn behind the trees once she heard his call for action.

Taking a quick look at the situation, she couldn't miss the large beast struggling with Croc Jon. "By Geb, what kind of creature is that?"

Without further delay, she retrieved her amulet from Hawthorn, and let a glowing rock fly at the beast. "HWOA!" Only for the rock to bounce harmlessly off it's shell.

OOC: Bonus action to appear in k6.
Object interaction to grasp her amulet.
Eldritch Blast attack: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While Broun brought the horses under control, Ruznami exited one side of the coach while Hawthorne the other. The dwarf became surrounded in a crowd of illusions while the mining agent brought forth Argenti's amulet. The genasi appeared and took her amulet, while Hawthorne took cover under a tree where he loaded his crossbow. Argenti's stone had just skipped off the back of the beast as it wrestled with Crock Jon, when the ground under the tree trembled and burst open.

A much smaller version of the monster crawled out of the hole, squawking. It lunged forward and clamped its jaws on Hawthorne's leg.

OOC: Hawthorne takes 9 from a Bulette Pup's bite.
@VLAD the Destroyer Kaliban & @Steve Gorak Ethian still to go
(and I'll do Broun, Shedrick, and the Bulette then.)
 

Kaliban follows the others from the wagon. He sees the bullette and moves to assist. He is shocked when Crock grabs it by the head. Kaliban draws his sword and moves up slashing at the creature. Kaliban hesitates not wanting to accidentally hit his new companion. The slight hesitation throws off his strike and his rapier bounces off the creatures thick hide.

OOC: Move: Close with the bullette grappled by Crock Jon.
Action: Rapier strike at bullette: 1d20+5 16 1d8+3 5
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Ethian barely had time to wrap his mind around what was happening, when he saw Crock Jon grab the beast. Incredulous, he shook his head after staring for what seemed as an eternity, considering the events at play. He climbs onto the coach to better assess the situation, and prays for twilight to embrace them all

OOC: Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary, creatures ending their turn within 30ft get 7 temporary HP, area is now filled with dim light
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Kaliban followed Ruznami out the right-hand door as the coach started to move again. By the time he was down by the monster, Shedrick had pulled past him, holding himself up by the brass handle, out of reach of the creature's jaws while Crock Jon held it back. Kaliban thrust his thin blade, but it scraped harmlessly off.

Meanwhile, Ethian had slipped out the other door. The coach was not moving fast, but it was moving uphill. Ethian grabbed the doorframe and rolled up onto the roof. He was not as graceful as many elves, but he was fit and had spent enough time at sea that the movement of the coach did not upset his footing as he prayed, bringing protective twilight down on them all.

The beast thrashed about under Crock Jon's mighty grip and it opened its mighty jaws and lunged at him while flipping him into the air. The big half-orc still had a hold of the thing's head, but much of his lower body was in its mouth in a crushing grip.

OOC: Bulette bit Crock Jon for... OMG 40! That would have brought him down were it not for Ethian's THP (timing is weird because Jon technically did not "end his turn" in the aura (because he went first) but I'll just let that go because I'm using a sort-of simultaneous initiative for ease of PBP play...
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Bulette
BuletteHill02.jpg

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Bushes, Shrubs, Rocks, Wooden Posts. Hazzard: Fire Pit
Visibility: Bright (It's daytime)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 31/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Crock Jon AC14 HP 3/36 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP12* SD 4/4
Ethian AC19* HP 27/27 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1
Hawthorne AC14 HP 22/31 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 35/35 THP 7/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 3/4 (d6's)
Ruznami AC15 HP 26/26 THP 7/7 AW10/10 HD 4/4 PP10* PInv15 SS 4/4 3/3
(NPCs)
Broun AC11 HP 18/18 THP 7/7 PP12*
-Coach AC13 HP 30/30 CC 4000lb (w/4 horses)
-Team AC11 HP 15ea PP11 SPD 60ft (4 horses)
Shedrick AC13 HP 16/16 THP 7/7 PP11
Bulette AC17 HP 94/94 PP16*
Bulette Pup AC15 HP 24/24 PP14* Bite+4;2d12+2
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 



Steve Gorak

Explorer
OOC: Still getting used to playing a cleric (1st timer here)! I should have had Ethian cast spiritual as a bonus action the previous round, I hope it doesn't come to bite us in the bum!


After assessing the situation, Ethian carefully gets off the cart and sends a prayer to Sehanine asking her to bolster his companions.

OOC: Move off the cart.
Action: Cast aid, Crock Jon, Hawthorne and Kaliban get 5hp and their HP total increase by that amount for the 8h
Item interaction ready shield
Complete move to N7
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 7/Afternoon
Round 2

Ruznami pulled out his warhammer and stepped up between Crock Jon and Kaliban, eying the adult bulette. He heaved back and struck at the creature, but missed completely.

Archimedes swept down, getting into the bulette’s face, helping Crock Jon.

Help Acton: Crock Jon

***

Mirror Image: (9r) 3 duplicates (AC 12) 6+ on 1d20 hits duplicate
Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp

Save:
Move: To J10
Free Object Interaction: Draw warhammer
Action: Attack adult bulette
Warhammer: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D8+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+11 thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray



Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When he was out of danger, Shedrick banged his flat palm on the rear of the coach and called to Broun, "Pull up the hill a little ways and give us a stop!"

The big coachman followed his instructions, bringing the coach to a slow roll, then a full stop.

Shedrick helped Ethian down from the roof, and the elf moved back toward the fight, praying for Sehanine to aid his companions. Meanwhile, Shedrick pulled a crossbow from the coach's boot, loaded it, and fired at the smaller of the beasts, striking it. The thing squawked in dismay, enraging the larger one.

OOC: Ethian cast aid; Shedrick did 7 to Bulette Pup; Ruz missed; Archemedes helped Crock Jon.
More to come.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The jaws of the bullette sink into Crock Jon, and the man roars.

The first thing he notices is that it doesn't have teeth: that the hard shell of its skull extends into a jagged edge that leads strait into its mouth. No jaw to hit. The fingers on both hands have clamped into the creature, and he feels the legs attempting to pull it away.

The second thing he notices is Archimedes, flying around and distracting the massive creature. Crock Jon feels relief, and a renewed strength and healing from his new friends' assistance.

Slowly Jon steps back along the road they had just travelled, dragging the monster with him. Slowly, pacing, until the fingers of his left hand find purchase between two plates in the creature's hide. That gives him the opportunity to start punching the beast.

OOC: Unarmed fighting: 1d4= 4 bludgeoning damage to the Bullette because we're grappling (Unarmed style -- I was wrong before when I said 1d4+STR. It's just 1d4.)

Move: half move while grappling. Drag the creature 15' West (away from the cart).
Action: Punch 1d20+6=11 MISS. (Archimedes' Help - 12 -- still a miss.)

ACTION SURGE!
Action: Punch 1d20+6=19 HIT! Damage = 1d8+4=7, plus 1d8=8 (superiority, Menacing) = 15 bludgeoning total, plus DC 14 Wisdom save or Frightened until the end of my next turn. (Help - 20, still a hit, not a crit).

HP: 13hp.
Superiority 3d8 left, Second Wind, Relentless Endurance.
 

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti balks as a second creature ambushes Hawthorn and herself. "The earth betrays us! How many of these creatures are there?!"

"Kiar!" With a word, the pup visibly slows as rocks attach themselves to it's shadow. With a flex, the genasi's fingernails grow into long needle-like claws. With a stab, the needles find their way past the beast's armored plates and inject a burning concoction into the pup's flesh, before retracting back into the woman's hand.

OOC: Bonus Action to Cast Hex on the Pup (+1d6 necrotic when Argenti hits with an attack. Target has disadvantage on STR checks.
Action to Cast Primal Savagery:
Primal Savagery Melee Spell Attack: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
Primal Savagery Damage: 1D10+1D6+2 = [7]+[3]+2 = 12
7 Acid Damage +3 Necrotic Damage +2 Bludgeoning Damage.
Concentrating on Hex.
1/2 spell slots used.
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Argenti clawed at the smaller of the beasts, who squawked again and tucked its hard nose into the ground. Dirt kicked up all over Hawthorne, and the creature was gone, somewhere underground.

Crock Jon and the larger one struggled locked together. It seemed near impossible, but the former champion dragged the enormous thing down the road while trying to flip it on its back, as it struggled to stay upright and snapped at him in wide-eyed desperation. Finally, it twisted about and got a powerful grip on him. It thrashed him back and forth like a rag doll before spitting him out.

OOC: Srgenti did 12 to BPup, who disengaged and burrowed 40 feet down;
CJon did 15 to Bulette, who saved and bit him for 37. Ouch. Crock Jon is down, I think.
@VLAD the Destroyer Kaliban and @DEFCON 1 Hawthorne still to go.
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top