A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian plays a bit with the tear in his tunic I’ll fix this tonight he thinks to himself. He takes a quick glance inside the tents to make sure no ennemies are hiding, and resists an overwhelming feeling of revulsion by what he see in there. He moves on to Broun “Lay still my friend, let me see your wounds ”. He asks Ruz “Is there a healing potion? If so, this man needs it. I’ve only prepared a battle healing spell, and this man needs more than what I can do”.

OOC: religion check: 5 for what Ethian sees inside the tents

note that Ethian only has healing word prepared, so he’s not much of a healer right now

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick nodded and pulled the stopper on the healing potion. He'd hoped to save it, but he knew the elf had a better idea of Broun's condition than he did.

"Holdin' out on me, boy?" snarked the half orc as he gratefully drank, "Aah. That's good stuff."

The half-orc climbed to his feet, still a little wobbly and looked around for the horses, giving a whistle.

"They won't have gone far." he insisted and he gave a look to Shedrick that suggested that the young man go find them.

OOC: Broun is now at 9/18 HP and 4 levels of exhaustion.

Ruznami Warmaker
Road
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

The three remaining Ruznamis gathered up the potions from the gnolls. The dwarf looked over at Ethian. “This one is a healing potion,” he said, tossing it over to Ethian if he needed it. “The other one is something else. Give me some time, and I’ll identify it.”

Ruznami pulled up one of the seats the gnolls had used around the fire and pulled out a large pearl. He settled the potion in his lap and prepared a ritual that would let him identify it.

((Ritually casting Identify for 11 minutes.))

Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (486r)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration: Detect Magic
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26+7thp/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Ruznami was done his ritual, he knew that the potion was known as "Blood of Yeenoghu" (whether or not it possessed any actual demon blood, far or less the blood of a demon lord, seemed unlikely to Ruznami, though it very likely did contain the actual blood of someone, much to his disgust.

GM: Blood of Yeenoghu When you drink this potion's foul-smelling blood-like liquid, you become consumed with bloodlust and gain the following benefits for 10 minutes: You have advantage on attack rolls, strength checks, and strength saving throws. Each time you hit with an attack roll, you deal 1d4 extra damage. You gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, but attack rolls against you have advantage.

OOC: Friendly, ain't it?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Gnoll camp
Day 1/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami blinked as he came out of his spell and stood up. “It is a potion to make the drinker into a ferocious fighter, heedless of his own safety as he rages through battle like a demon lord,” the dwarf said, holding the gourd out to the others.

OOC: Sorry if it confused anyone. I posted my last post from home, and it must have logged me in under my own name for some reason. Or I picked the “Log in through Goggle” option rather than looking up my account information.

Arcane Ward: 11/11 hp
Comprehend Languages (485r)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As the last of the hyena creatures falls, Hawthorne sighs in heavy relief and shakes his head in amazement. This was the kind of actions his older siblings got into, not him. He wipes some sweat from his brow, places his crossbow back into its holster, and then quickly jobs back over to his men. He arrives just in time to see Broun down the healing elixir, whistles for the horses, then suggest Shedrick go find the ones that are missing.

"My goodness, Broun, you gave us all a good scare. How are you, my friend? I am very happy to see you came out of this ordeal with a head still upon your shoulders." He walks over and clasps a hand on the old halfork's shoulder. "I think this is something we need to report back to the Flaming Fist when we return to Baldur's Gate. I don't care the cost... they need to get more patrols out here on the road down to Candlekeep. This never should have happened."

As Shedrick hitched up his breeches in preparation to go find the horses as Broun suggested, Hawthorne raised a single finger to the young man. "Give me a moment, Shedrick, and then I will join you in finding the horses." He looks around at the rest of the group and nods appreciatively. "You have each done the Black Dragon's Gate a great service. Heedless of your own safety you have acquitted yourselves to the highest standard and brought our man Broun to safety. We cannot thank you enough. I will make sure you are each identified back at the offices for your bravery and sacrifice and will do my best to see that you are rewarded for your service."

He nods to each of the men and women here, then looks back at Shedrick. "Come, my good man. Let us see if we can find the other horses so that we can get Broun saddled up and ready to go back home properly this time!"

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
With the last gnoll felled and the camp clear of other dangers, Argenti sits and meditates. The earth was her element, and though the dust and dirt on the ground here was different than the sands of her homeland, sifting it between her fingers served well enough to calm the adrenaline of battle. During her travels, the genasi had seen several tragic events, and it felt good to prevent one of them.

After Hawthorne's speech, she takes a moment to gingerly clasp the wounded half orc. "Good to see you up, Broun." Smiling, she turns to the scholars of the group. "Do you suppose Candlekeep would let him stay a few nights before heading home, as a mercy?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At Argenti's suggestion of staying at Candlekeep, Broun straightened and said, "I wouldn't want to be a bother to those learned folk. Thanks to you all, I should be well enough once we're away from here and on the road. The coach tipped over when they killed my lead horse (I had tried to make a dash for it) but it should be easy enough to right and repair if we can get back to it."

It had been part of Shedrick's duties on the way down that he help Broun to water, feed, and groom the horses at the various rest stops. The horses remembered him, and though they were frightened by the smell of gnolls (and the blood), they came when he called. With Hawthorne's help, it was a quick thing to gather them up.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It would be growing dark by the time the Black Dragon Agents returned to the main road (and the site of the overturned coach). A discussion began on the merits and issues with staying at the gnoll camp until morning.

OOC: What would you prefer? You can probably get the coach on the road by nightfall, but you won't make the next best campsite. (Of course, you could stop anywhere, or press on with light spells and lanterns until you reach the first roadside camp). It wouldn't be late-late, just after dark.

Remove ads