A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Beregost
Day 3/Morning
Round 0

Ruznami didn’t have too much to do during the trip. He had Archimedes keep an eye ahead, though the caravan proved safe enough, at least from wandering monsters if not exorbitant tax collectors. He kept an eye on Broun, making the driver as comfortable as possible, occasionally sharing a sip from his flask with the half-orc.

By the time they reached Beregost, the dwarven wizard was more than ready for a real bed again. Unfortunately, those were taken. At least they were just in time for some food.

(OOC: Thinking about it, no combat on this day and a room at night means healing spells for Broun?)

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Exiting the final inn and bounding down the steps back to the carriage, Hawthorne shakes his head and announces to all. "No rooms here either. We are right out of luck. At this point I think our only option is to take the carriage outside of town a short ways, unhook the horses, then set up our own camp again. It's a warm night... it shouldn't be any worse than last night's sleep."

He steps up onto the steps of the carriage and speaks to Shedrick up front. "At this point I don't think we're in any position to waste more timing getting overland to the Sunsets. I know Broun was meant to take the carriage back to the Gate, but we need it more than mother and father do back home. So let's drive this thing out of town south a little ways and from what I understand there's a fire circle or two slightly off the road for travelers who get stuck in just this position. We can set up camp and make ourselves some supper."

Making sure the footman heard his decree, Hawthorne climbs back into the carriage and shuts the door.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Shedrick made a hand motion like a tip of the hat (though he wasn't wearing one) and he climbed up onto the driver's perch. Broun was well enough to join him there, though he gratefully allowed the youth to hold the reins. He spoke briefly to Hawthorn through a little window between the driver's perch and the coach's interior, saying, "I'm happy to see things all the way with you, sir. I'll be right soon enough, thanks to you and your crew. We'll be needing a fourth horse for a full team, and her front right wheel is loose from the roll-over. Some repairs are in order. I've a nephew that works as a wheelwright by the crossroads about ten miles south of here. He'd likely know a local horse trader that we could trust to fix us up."

Then they were off, and they found the campsite just as Hawthorne had described.

OOC: If anyone wants, there was time for a brief errand in town, though it was too late for the markets. Ruznami, for example, had a meal at the Inn before rejoining the coach. The Caravan remained behind, as they had some side-trading to do in Beregost.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Beregost
Day 3/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami sighed. Another night under the stars. Well, he had asked for adventure. He just needed to toughen up more, like his companions. As they set up camp, the dwarven wizard went about the ritual to set a warning alarm around their fire and bedrolls.

Won’t be set off by tiny woodland creatures or our party. Audible alarm.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti pulls out her bedroll, woven in the style of her homelands. After laying it on the ground, she gives a pause, as if a thought had suddenly popped into her head.
"Should we have a watch tonight? We may be close to town, but town's aren't without their share of troubles."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian is happy to be surrounded by nature. He wouldn’t have minded a bed, but this was by no means his second choice. “I’ll gladly start the watch companions” he tells the group, and he looks at the trees and the shrubs that are nearby.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Black Dragon Agents spent a peaceful night in a small, seldom-used campsite a league south of Beregost. In the morning, they travelled another league south, to a crossroads where a small roadside wagon-repair shop sat nestled between two large oak trees. The coach had begun an uncomfortable rattle from a loose axle, and a list to one side, from when it had been overturned.

Broun jumped down from the driver's perch when he saw his nephew come to greet them. He was on the mend, but he was still not fully recovered from his ordeal and he stumbled on the landing. His nephew was a very large, well-muscled half-orc, who caught the older man easily and embraced him.

The two discussed the incident, the mission, and the repair needs of the coach, as well as family, while the others got out, stretched their legs, and plotted the path they would take across the Greenfields. The Coast Way continued south to Amn. From Amn's most northern city, Nashkel, the Uldoon Trail (a well-maintained trade route) traveled north-east across the Greenfields to Berdusk. But Hawthorne was confident that if they headed east from here, they could shave many days off that out-of-their-way trip.

He would just need to navigate along criss-crossing and poorly maintained trails and roads that belonged to ancient elvish kingdoms now long gone.

OOC: This introduces @Kobold Stew Crock Jon, who will insist on coming along to maintain the coach and protect his uncle from further harm. Hawthorne (and anyone who wants to help him) should give me an Intelligence (navigation) roll and we will move this ahead. I'm enjoying both the RP and the Journey, but I recognise that we should get to the actual adventure soon-ish. (Though I'll probably do another encounter along the road first.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon gives his uncle an affectionate hug and immediately puts the wagon on blocks, so he can repair the wheel. He waves at the other passengers, but quickly looks away. Some might think that designates shyness, but he's really just focusing on helping his uncle. The man has done so much for him, for so long.

Once the wheel is off he goes in to fetch another one, except when he comes out he doesn't have a wheel, ony some water for the travellers. It's not cold (Crock Jon was once told that cold water on a hot day can make you sick) but it slakes the thirst. Only once he's done that does he remember about the wheel and goes in to fetch it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
South of Beregost
Day 4/Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami found a spot in the shade of the carriage repair. He pulled out a book he had taken from the library to aid them in this adventure, flipping through the pages a bit. As the others started to discuss and plan the route across the greenfields, the dwarven wizard came over to offer his own input, though he wasn’t a navigator.

General Intelligence check: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10

Arcane Ward: 0/11 hp

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 28/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Remove ads