A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The creature was entirely unusual - it was psychic torment like a ghost, and yet corporeal; it wore tattered clothes like it had once been humanoid, and yet had a feral, insect-like face, and it had pincer-claws; it wielded magic to bend shadows and disappear (teleport, perhaps?)

Ruznami and Ethian discussed the creature briefly, and the Dwarf gathered the evidence and looked through some folios that he had brought along for just this purpose. He longed for the luxury of the full Library at Candlekeep, certain that there he could find everything they would want to know on the creature.

Only one creature fit all the criteria, though the folio had little information beyond a name: Meenlock.

The only other thing he could find was the word was also listed in his notes under "Fey Infestations".

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Crock Jon's suggestion might work. The creature could not have gone far. The way that it had folded shadows, stepping through, would require nearby shadows to step out of. It was light outside, and while that would make for deep shadows, it was a ways to the treeline - too far for most minor magics. The creature would be running, or it would be hiding. Hiding seemed the better bet.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"Would it help if I tried to grab it for you, sir?" asks Crock Jon. "I don't mind giving it try."

Good idea, just hold on a moment”. Ethian mumbles a few words and touches Crock Jon, who feels empowered by divine magics.

OOC: Cast guidance on the half orc. He gets +1d4 on his next ability check.

concentrating on guidance

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 0

Ruznami considered what he knew from his notes. It wasn’t much. “Fey infestation,” he said. “That suggests something like cold iron will be anathema to it. Protection from fey spells would be good. I do have it prepared, but I can only cast it on one person at a time. Perhaps Ethian could prepare it, as well. That would give two of us protection.”

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"If it didn't attack you, Ethian... perhaps it is not a creature that needs immediately removal. I think if Crock Jon can get his hands on it and we can get a sense of what it is and what it wants, we can take care of things without bloodshed."

Hawthorne looks around the second floor landing and nods in approval. "Not a bad design choice. Whomever furnished this home had a good eye and solid taste." He sniffs the air twice. "Could use a good cleaning though."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon advances towards the library, stopping to pick up the body of the owl.

He peers around for the creature hiding in shadows, advancing towards, towards the archway and the library.

OOC: Perception 1d20+2=12. Saving Guidance for a grapple.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Vermellion
Day 24/Morning
Round 0

Unfortunately, there was no body of Archimedes for Crock Jon to pick up, no evidence the owl had ever been here.

“If you give me an hour and a half or so, I can cast some spells,” Ruznami said. “Otherwise I can go around with you and just look.”

Investigation: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
Perception: 1D20 = [10] = 10

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Remove ads