A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon does not like these caverns. In a ring, it's a fair fight -- you can see the other guy, and hit each other until one of you falls. These enemies are eerie: they poke their heads out, their smell rattles you to your bones, and then they disappear in the darkness.

He knows he's just here as a porter, because his uncle wasn't fit to go on. He wants to do his job well, but he can't get over how disconcerting this whole adventure has become. Now the ground is gibing way to puddles. Something in the back of his head tells him that holes like this happen with limestone, thoguh he does not know what good that knowledge will do him.

OOC: Dex save 1d20+2=15 vs dc 12 PASS.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Boldly taking the lead, Crock Jon and Cairn were both able to avoid falling into the deeper parts of the pools, hidden under floating mosses. The wrinkled meenlock tilted its head slowly, as if it were very painful to do. Its eyes bulged unnaturally and Crock Jon felt a sudden stab of pain in his head as his thoughts scrambled.

Cairn felt a pulling sensation, as if the rocks of his own body were being drawn toward the strange fey creature.

OOC: I'm gonna let this monster go first for once. It's more interesting that way. Crock Jon will take 20 psychic damage & be cursed for 1 min. While cursed, he'll have disadvantage on ability checks, INT & WIS saves, and the meenlock elder will be invisible to him. (10 damage & no curse with a dc14 WIS save).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Black Dragon Agents vs Meenlock Elder in Deep Pool Chamber.
1672646393788.png

(General Features)
Difficult Terrain: Everywhere (thick moss; uneven ground);
Visibility: Dark (Underground);
Hazards: Pools. (dc12 DEX save or be Restrained until End of Turn);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Argenti AC14 HP 28/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP13 SS 2/2
Cairn AC18 HP 21/43 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP13** 2W 1/1 AS 1/1 (fright)
Crock Jon AC14 HP 8/36 THP 0/7 HD 2/4 PP12* SD 4/4 2W 1/1 AS 1/1
Ethian AC19* HP 16/27 THP 0/7 HD 2/4 PP16* PIns16 SS 4/4 3/3 CD 0/1 (fright)
Hawthorne AC14 HP 10/31 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP17 PInv17 PIns15
Kaliban AC18* HP 18/35 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 4/4 (d6's) AS 1/1 (fright)
Elder Meenlock AC16 HP 88/88 PP19*
Meenlock AC15 HP 21/37 PP14*
GM: Begin Round One

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon feels the stab in his skull, reaching him from a dagger of the mind. It looks like he's about to fall, KO-d by an evil stare. But he manages to stay on his feet, and in doing so finds a footing that makes him look even stronger than he had a moment before.

OOC: (part 1 of 2...) DC14 Wis save -- 1d20+09=14 PASS!
10 damage and no curse. However, that brings him to 0/36 hit points.
EXCEPT: RELENTLESS ENDURANCE: back to 1 hp.
Bonus action: SECOND WIND: +1d10+4=9 hp. total: 10/36 hp.

(So, before he takes his attack, is there another fear save needed, or can he attack? What's the DC?)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cairn tries to stun the mean gnarly elder, but doesn't waste any time approaching.

Stepping around the pools he comes close and the grows suddenly right into meenlocks face and slams his hands toward the creature. But the pool he just entered was deeper than he anticipated and he needed to spread his arms to keep the balance.

He tried again, but the wily creature moved and he was still trying to find his balance. His arms slammed into the edge of the pool, cracking away small parts of the stone, but not harming the elder.

Rumbling something rude to the stones around him, he finally stabilizes enough, a desperate surge of strength, finally connecting with the creature. A glancing blow, but between two massive hands connected and the prodigious size, it was a good enough hit.

Unfortunately, as he raised his hands again to strike one final time, he pool shifted once again, or his weight as he moved dislodged something and he stumbled again, cursing in his native language.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian prays in Elven, imploring Sehanine's help.

OOC: Move: none
Action: cast Faery fire: Dex save DC14 objects and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10-foot radius.
Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can’t benefit from being invisible.

Bonus action: cast spiritual weapon & attack elder
Attack: 19 Damage: 12
Note: I forgot to roll if advantage, but the roll was high so no need to.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Kiar! HYAH!"

Argenti stays near the mouth of the small cave, offering ranged support in the best way she knew: by cursing and throwing stones at the larger of the two creatures. Unfortunately, the stone goes wide.

"Crock Jon, are you well? That's the ugliest bug I've ever seen!"

OOC: Goop check, sorry I missed it before!
Dex Save: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13

Bonus Action, Casting Hex on the big one. Disadvantage on STR checks, takes +1d6 extra necrotic damage when struck by Argenti. (-1 spell slot)
Standard Action Eldritch Blast: Miss.
Eldritch Blast 2 is bludgeoning d6 is necrotic rest is force damage: 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9 1D10+4+2+1D6 = [5]+4+2+[6] = 17
Even with advantage, that would have missed, lol.
Eldritch Blast Advantage die if applicable: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Let's take care of this, people!" Hawthorne shouts, as he moves into the cavern and avoids the deep pools. The area is so precarious and narrow he can tell there's no appreciable place he could possibly hide from, so he just takes a place further into the room, his back against the mossy wall.

OOC: Move 3 squares to U30
Dexterity Save DC 12: [8]+4=12 success

Hawthorne cocks his crossbow and aims it at the elder creature adjacent to Cairn, but the sudden growth spurt from the elemental blocks any chance of hitting the shot.

OOC: Crossbow Attack vs Elder Meenlock AC 16: [11]+4=15 miss

Kaliban centers himself and prepares for the final push to kill the elder meenlock. He moves into the room and seeing the deep moss and pools sheaths his rapier and pulls out his shortbow. He takes aim at the elder and fires. Not as practiced with his bow the shot goes wide.

OOC: Move: I will move up and around the first pool as far as I can. I will try to avoid getting into the pool. If I can't then let me know and I will roll the dex save.
Action: Shortbow attack on meenlock elder: 1d20+5 8 1d6+3 6.
Bonus Action: Second Wind: 1d10+4 14.

Kaliban AC18* HP 32/35 THP 0/7 HD 4/4 PP10* PED 1/4 (d6's) AS 0/1 SW 0/1(fright)

Last edited:

Remove ads