D&D 5E A change of heart about Tasha’s

That's been my main disappointment with the Artificer, leaning so heavy into the pseudo-steampunk stuff. I'd love to see subs built around other types of object oriented magic, like a tribal artisan that coaxes out the animistic spirits dwelling within natural materials.
The lack of a weapon-focused runesmith or whatever feel introducing the warlock without the old one patron. It's not the most obvious,, but it ain't far behind.

No, battlesmith doesn't count because their main thing is a robopuppy.

Voadam

Legend
I think you just have to go for it. I looked up medieval folks that cleared out dead animals and used their parts. Associated I think with executioners?

Lots you could do with that for artificer. A witch brewing potions? Anything but steampunk for my D&D group…
I've gone the other way in my Thundarr the Barbarian themed 5e conversion of the Iron Gods Adventure Path. The PC artificer is a full on robot (reskinned warfarged), part Paranoia bot, part Shadowrun AI decker, part Mage the Ascension technocracy, part Google. Levitate is rocket boots. Magic stone is finger guns. Fits in well with the Acme themed dragon cult that two other PCs belong to and the mini-Gamora irradiated not-ninja Tortle hexblade.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I've gone the other way in my Thundarr the Barbarian themed 5e conversion of the Iron Gods Adventure Path. The PC artificer is a full on robot (reskinned warfarged), part Paranoia bot, part Shadowrun AI decker, part Mage the Ascension technocracy, part Google. Levitate is rocket boots. Magic stone is finger guns. Fits in well with the Acme themed dragon cult that two other PCs belong to and the mini-Gamora irradiated not-ninja Tortle hexblade.
Sounds fun—and totally consistent with your campaign!

Azuresun

Adventurer
I agree about the artwork. I also prefer a human-centric aesthetic.

I was more distracted by all the heroic orcs and grey-skinned drow who suddenly popped up (not to mention the sudden erasure of half-orcs).

That's been my main disappointment with the Artificer, leaning so heavy into the pseudo-steampunk stuff. I'd love to see subs built around other types of object oriented magic, like a tribal artisan that coaxes out the animistic spirits dwelling within natural materials.

Which you can entirely do with the subclasses as written. Battle Smith? Your "steel" defender is an effigy of bones, stone or wood, animated by a protective spirit sent to guide you. Artillerist? Totems that spring into life to fight alongside or protect you. The steampunk aesthetics are entirely limited to the art.

Which you can entirely do with the subclasses as written. Battle Smith? Your "steel" defender is an effigy of bones, stone or wood, animated by a protective spirit sent to guide you. Artillerist? Totems that spring into life to fight alongside or protect you. The steampunk aesthetics are entirely limited to the art.
True, true. I might piddle around in Heroforge to see if I can find an aesthetic that sparks for me. :)

Remove ads