D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

''Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying capacity (or 30 times your Strength score). While pushing or dragging weight in excess of your carrying capacity, your speed drops to 5 feet'' (bolded part mine).

I guess it could be argued that Power Build affects also push/drag/lift since they are based on carrying capacity.

So a gnome with 20 STR could carry 300 lbs and lift a gate or push a cart weighting 600 lbs.

An orc with Powerful Build would be considered Large for carrying capacity, hence carrying 600 lbs (which, like you say, rarely matters) BUT he's also able to drag or lift a boulder weighing 1200 lbs. As a base. No check required.
Perhaps. But I think in most cases where Strength is going to matter outside of combat you're going to be rolling dice.

I still hope *Hippo Strength" from the Spelljammer UA becomes the new update to Powerful Build.
It is indeed a lot more significant. (And more straightforward - it doesn't involve trying to guess the weight of things - let alone conversions between Imperial or Metric).

The Damage Dealer feature is poor though (It overlaps with with Great Weapon Style, and slows the down the resolution of damage rolls pointlessly.)

Weiley31

Legend
It is indeed a lot more significant. (And more straightforward - it doesn't involve trying to guess the weight of things - let alone conversions between Imperial or Metric).

The Damage Dealer feature is poor though (It overlaps with with Great Weapon Style, and slows the down the resolution of damage rolls pointlessly.)
Eh it's an additional point of damage on top of what ya roll. Doesn't seem too bad to calculate.

Eh it's an additional point of damage on top of what ya roll. Doesn't seem too bad to calculate.
"
  • Damage Dealer. Like a hippopotamus in a crystal wareshop, you are naturally adept at damaging things. When you roll a 1 on a damage die for a melee attack, you can reroll the die and use the new roll. You can do so no more than once per turn.
It's not additive. You reroll. The actualy effect on your damage is pretty insignificant (less than 1), it's an illusory feature that slows the game down. It's worse than Great Weapon Style (which is already not very good), because you only reroll 1 die.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
"
  • Damage Dealer. Like a hippopotamus in a crystal wareshop, you are naturally adept at damaging things. When you roll a 1 on a damage die for a melee attack, you can reroll the die and use the new roll. You can do so no more than once per turn.
It's not additive. You reroll. The actualy effect on your damage is pretty insignificant (less than 1), it's an illusory feature that slows the game down. It's worse than Great Weapon Style (which is already not very good), because you only reroll 1 die.
Ah that's my bad. I can't believe I misread it.

Hussar

Legend
This may be very crude, but perhaps the best way to deal with the hypothetical 20 Str halfling is just through advantage/disadvantage? This allows it to be context-dependent. I think a small creature could preform str-related tasks like climbing and swimming as well as a larger creature, all things being even. But I think a smaller creature might have more difficulty wrestling a larger creature to the ground, for example. So they get disadvantage on that check.

In terms of weapon damage, I think it would come down to the skill of the fighter, rather than raw strength.
Well, they don't get disadvantage, but, the larger creature does gain advantage on contested strength checks like grappling.

Which means that the halfling will likely lose an arm wrestling contest to the goliath, even if the halfling is stronger, simply because the goliath has advantage due to size.

Well, they don't get disadvantage, but, the larger creature does gain advantage on contested strength checks like grappling.

Which means that the halfling will likely lose an arm wrestling contest to the goliath, even if the halfling is stronger, simply because the goliath has advantage due to size.
Oh, right. And wait, they can't use heavy weapons without a penalty anyway right? Hmm, it seems like the base rules do a fine job of accounting for size variability even with equal str.

"
Best case it's worth +0.46 on a D12 weapon.

Remove ads

Remove ads