D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

I find it kind of interesting that several races now give you the option to be Small or Medium. I guess not halflings and gnomes and such can have aasimar, genasi, or yuan-ti kids. I'm assuming this means that Smal tieflings will be a thing, too.
I've always stated that Planetouched could be descended from small races too, as I've often been how they're not just Human descended.

So there could be a Tiefling that's descended from a Halfling and an Imp or Quasit.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
My theory is that most players who pick Half-Orcs as characters in games where PHB only is a thing, want actually to play Orcs. Though I'm sure Half-Orcs will still be around in the PHB revision, they'll just try making them more Human.
most people have more modern setting idea about orc as gruff and kinda jerks but not evil these days, now if only we could get rid of half-elves.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I find it kind of interesting that several races now give you the option to be Small or Medium. I guess not halflings and gnomes and such can have aasimar, genasi, or yuan-ti kids. I'm assuming this means that Smal tieflings will be a thing, too.
I think it's just a change for the races where size wasn't part of the story

5atbu

Explorer
It's interesting to see so many changes.

It reminds me of what late 3E and late 4E products felt like.

I'm curious to see what D&D looks like in 2024.
I'll likely wait until then to pick up newer books, so as to avoid buying multiple versions of the same content which may or may not be compatible.
Same here.
I have a happy feeling about the direction of the lore, I think I shall wait until 2024 for any system change.

Weiley31

Legend
Yeah that is the only change that I really don’t like. Why are Gnomes losing advantage against saves vs dragonfear or mind affecting abilities of undead, etc?

Actually that is not my concern. I think the new spell likenabilities need a tag that identifies them as spells.
Part of me feels like WoTC is doing that on purpose to prevent certain races and what not from being able to negate/pass the threat of stuff like that. The Fey mono typing that a number of races have so far can easily allow them to no sell/make trivial some spells. So, it seems like they are "attempting" to enforce the somewhat strict balance, by bounded accuracy definition of balancing, in that regards. Same with Magic Resistance apparently no longer counting towards "Magical Effects" alongside spells. And when you now include these "Spell-Like Attacks" that supposedly don't count as "spells" anymore, then Magical Resistance would count for jack. Same with the Yuan-Ti/Pureblood: They now can't no sell a room full of poison unless it was poisonous snakes in said room where the poison was coming from.

As you see, they seem to "now" be addressing the whole deal with Natural Weapons and apparently making it so that way, how its described in this book, you wouldn't be able to do any kind of shenanigans such as Dhampir Paladins making their teeth become Smiting Dentures. Same way a Tabaxi/Minotaur, Etc wouldn't be able to Smite with their Natural Weapons, or even have them "buffable" via spells. Which I think is stupid as I wouldn't see anything wrong with a Dhampir Paladin taking a bite outta Strahd with Shinging, Radiant Teeth. But WoTC is gonna WoTC

I do wonder though: If you had an enemy with Favored Enemy, would a Shadar-Kai count if a monster/enemy/PC had Favored Enemy: Elf and could use its effect to track the Shadar-Kai PC better? If an enemy was equipped with certain weapons that did extra damage to Fey and what not, would the Changeling now suffer extra damage from the attacks? If it was an Elf Bane weapon, would the Shadar-Kai be in trouble too?

And if you allowed Racial Feats at level 1 for a PC, does that mean any Goblinoid would qualify for any of the Elven Racial feats due to both races now having a shared link to the Feywild in some way? (I mean, I'd allow it as such. Just like how I would allow any "giant-kin" PC race being able to qualify for Dwarven Racial feats.)

And finally: I chuckle a bit at the fact that WoTC basically gave the Goliath a trait called Little Giant. Man, they hella just gave the finger to large size race beggers.

Remove ads

Remove ads