D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Kurotowa

Legend
The negative valence has been removed in the names of many of these abilities.

Even when the mechanical benefits remain unchanged (perhaps especially when), there is a moralizing aspect to these changes.
Funny how some people see removing hard coded moral judgments to be moralizing and not de-moralizing. But I suppose we've already established that rules supported racial essentialism is the hill that some people will die on.

I have some issues with the current design paradigm, a lot of homogenisation seems to be happening. But fey goblinoids are fine by me. It actually is saying something concrete and potentially interesting about goblinoids. It won't suit every setting, but no fluff ever does.

I'm not a fan of short rest traits being phased out. This just encourages novaing all the uses ASAP and taking a long rest. Also, if you have several of such features (they seem to be changing stuff from classes into this paradigm too) tracking them becomes tiresome.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I like most of these changes. Sad to see Kenku losing their speech restriction, and still praying the Warlock gets to keep its short rest based casting.

Scribe

Legend
You know Scribe, it's totally fine if you don't like the changes, but I feel like posting something like this is needlessly inflammatory.
I suppose you are right, I could have stated it better.

What it's more about is the same as many of their other changes. "Say as little definitively as possible."

I absolutely believe an internal goal at Wizards is to be as over the top inoffensive as possible, and I dont believe that to be inflammatory.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Funny how some people see removing hard coded moral judgments to be moralizing and not de-moralizing. But I suppose we've already established that rules supported racial essentialism is the hill that some people will die on.
Yes, making changes that shape the moral presentation of a character option is moralizing. Whether you like the change or not is up to you.

"Funny how..." is needlessly sarcastic; the post was not talking about racial essentialism, and no one was saying this was a hill to die on -- that's all you, looking to be divisive.

Irlo

Hero
Yes, making changes that shape the moral presentation of a character option is moralizing. Whether you like the change or not is up to you.

"Funny how..." is needlessly sarcastic; the post was not talking about racial essentialism, and no one was saying this was a hill to die on -- that's all you, looking to be divisive.
Maintaining existing rules that shape the moral presentation of a character option is also moralizing. Writers and publishers make deliberate choices about these things all the time.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Maintaining existing rules that shape the moral presentation of a character option is also moralizing. Writers and publishers make deliberate choices about these things all the time.
Yes, they do. And since this is a thread about the changes, the earlier post pointed out some of those deliberate choices.

Argyle King

Legend
It's interesting to see so many changes.

It reminds me of what late 3E and late 4E products felt like.

I'm curious to see what D&D looks like in 2024.
I'll likely wait until then to pick up newer books, so as to avoid buying multiple versions of the same content which may or may not be compatible.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting

Seems they might be doing away with short rest recharge entirely. Moving away from the typical adventuring day perhaps?
Yup, that started with Tasha Subclasses and has been the norm for the past year and a half. Less moving away from the standard, and more making it flexible...since the new number will match the old assumptions but in a ca.paifn style neutral fashion.

Remove ads

Remove ads