D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Overall I'm fine with these changes.

My biggest gripe is that humans in particular have been completely shafted by these changes plus Tasha's. I just don't see a reason to choose human anymore.

Also, I'm really starting to hate darkvision.

I would be surprised if Half-Orcs survive the next revision. They don't add a huge amount to the game if orcs are as free willed as everyone else.

Half-Elves... I think they're a bit more likely to remain, but probably only because they appear in many more stories (Tolkien and Dragonlance, mainly).

If anything, goblins being fey is going back to the source material. Redcaps have always been goblins and fairies. The erlking is variously portrayed as a goblin, and elf, and a fairy, and it's from a time when those meant basically the same thing. So, maybe not so much lost it's way as found it's way back to it.

It's not like the goblins in D&D are particularly well developed or differentiated from the other "1e humanoid" enemies. Now, if they made kobolds and goblins the same -- they have the same root word and share many of the same stories -- then I might agree with you because WotC have taken Kobolds into a unique and interesting path.
likely human get a buff when the phb remake comes out.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I’m liking these updates. Some much more than others. I’ll probably implement most of these immediately to my current campaign, except the hobgoblin. Once our current campaign drifts from the current hobgoblin-armies story, I’ll then slot in the changes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am worried about the new magic resistance combined with the new monster abilities that replace spells.

Combined it is very hard to explain, why you don't get advantage against "fiery explosion" which mimics a plain old fireball.
Yeah that is the only change that I really don’t like. Why are Gnomes losing advantage against saves vs dragonfear or mind affecting abilities of undead, etc?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I really like many of these changes, but there are some I'm also not too keen on as well. I will probably be splicing together some races and their features for my world (which I realized just now after making my list I have 77 racial options for. Oh boy).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's kind of weird to have some subraces folded into a single race, yet still have multiple races that are treated as the same race in terms of game mechanics and even shared traits. I wonder which core subraces will get to stick around in 2024 edition. (Drow is an easy guess, but I'm skeptical of any others. Though it'd be funny if they kept every elf.)

Look at it this way: by linking differe to Ra es under "Race Families" like Goblinoid or Elf means that they have more flexibility design: they don't have to key a Bugbear and a Goblin off of some core assumption, as long as they are linked by keyword. This actually frees them up to make much more diverse Rave options while retaining group connections.

That they made almost no changes from the UAs makes me wonder how much they're actually listening to feedback on those at this point.
I assume it sinoly means the feedback was positive, and no serious adjustments were called for. I gave the. High marks, and it is easy to imagine they were broadly well received.

aco175

Legend
At first look, I do not like some/most of these changes, but want to hold out for more information. I was not sure about the 3e change preview that Dragon Magazine was showing at the time, but ended up liking the edition. Same for 4e and 5e, so I am hopeful.

I find it kind of interesting that several races now give you the option to be Small or Medium. I guess not halflings and gnomes and such can have aasimar, genasi, or yuan-ti kids. I'm assuming this means that Small tieflings will be a thing, too.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads