D&D 5E A different take on Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That is probably where motivation comes in.
Does he care deeply about people and society in general, and feel guilty about each killing, viewing it as a personal failure that he wasn't able to resolve it without murder?

Or is he driven to/not feel guilty about killing, and has simply been taught that bad people are acceptable targets for those urges. He doesn't care for people or society as a whole, just for those individuals that he has formed personal attachments to?
Sure. You could describe a Good, Evil, or Neutral, character who undertakes the same actions. Hell, I consider the Punisher Neutral Evil or Lawful Evil, depending on how he is written, but absolutely never Good or even X Neutral.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ah yes, how could I forget such lawful tenants as "Be Good", "Protect Good Things", "Don't be Bad", Clearly, this incredibly lawful code of conduct stands as a beacon against any form of Chaos.

It is such a stronger indication of Law than the Sorcerers power source, flavor test, and original intent.
I'm glad you're finally starting to get it.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
So... you would be completely okay with a Lawful character lying, cheating and stealing...but only if it was to survive?

So, what does Lawful mean if you are going to be perfectly fine to abadon all laws and social bonds the moment your personal survival is on the line?
Yes, and not just to survive. Now, those types of acts might be considered evil, and I think the element of self preservation ameliorates that, but I don't think they touch upon law and chaos to any great degree.

As I posted upthread, in my game, I use the definition of Law from the 1E DMG. It says that "law dictates that order and organization is necessary and desirable," and "generally supports the group as more important than the individual" (p. 23).

What social bonds is Aladdin actually abandoning by lying, cheating, and stealing to survive? As far as I recall, the only significant social bond he has is with his pet monkey who also depends on him (and his lying, cheating, and stealing) for survival, so those actions are supportive of rather than detrimental to Aladdin's bond.

I don't generally consider inaction because you see no reason to interfere as a socially effective autowin, no that doesn't seem like that is anything of the sort. Seems more like... background noise you don't care about.
Forgive my facetiousness, but I think you pretty badly misunderstood what I was getting at by saying that part of your premise is that "Aladdin isn't less effective in social interaction than his lawful counterpart, all other things being equal." I meant that if Aladdin and his so-called lawful counterpart were in equally challenging social situations, that Aladdin wouldn't fare any worse. You then described a situation that wasn't a social interaction challenge at all the way you described it and compared that with a situation in which Aladdin uses his charisma to get Jasmine out of trouble. I'd hardly call that a fair comparison.

I am aware it is "technically" the case. But if you have to defend it by going to technicalities, you are already on thin ice.

And, we weren't out to prove that Charismatic Lawful characters don't exist. We were proving that that Chaotic Charismatic characters exist and are fairly prominent archetypes, and your rule seems to unfairly tip the scales in a direction that is not supported by the fiction.
As long as you understand that's how the game works, I don't see how there's any basis for your objection that I'm "changing" the DC. Before the specific character did something, there was no DC to change.

And I get what you're saying, but I'm not buying it. Your position relies on the idea that there are these devilishly charming schmoozer characters that can trick anyone into believing they're trustworthy and agreeing to anything they want just by turning on the charm, but doesn't take into account how persuasive someone with the same level of social aptitude can be when they are known to behave in a manner that is consistent and trustworthy. All things being equal, people tend to believe and trust the lawful paladin over the chaotic barbarian. What about that fiction?

If they get a bonus to charisma in social situations, they are more effective in social situations (all else being equal, remember) that is plainly obvious. So the intended effect of your rule is to make Lawful characters more effective in Social Situations... which, per fiction, is not neccessarily the case. Their are plenty of lawful characters that are poor in social situations and many more chaotic characters who thrive on them.
Well, you left out the part about all else being equal before. I never said that lawful characters are always better at social interaction than chaotic characters, and that isn't the effect of my rule. A lot of variables can make that not the case, including the alignment of the NPC that is being influenced. So no, that's not the intended effect. You're wrong, which is what I've been saying since you started this. There are plenty of characters in fiction like you describe, yes, and there are also lawful characters that are good socially and chaotic characters that are poor socially. Maybe you don't notice these ones as much because they don't overturn normal expectations of human interaction and so aren't as visible.

How you can look at a list of chaotic archetpyes and say you can't tell their alignment... I guess it just helps prove that alignment is ultimately a useless tool.
Or that you're not using the tool for its intended purpose. You're the one who says they're chaotic. That doesn't make it so.

And that source material is... the first edition of Dungeons and Dragons, inspired from many sources, but when people talk about alignment charts and such they are referring to Moorcock.

Because, as you must realize, the addition of the second Axis is the entire problem. Once it isn't just Law and Chaos, but Good Law, Evil Law, Good Chaos and Evil Chaos in opposition, then the entire formula Morcock was using falls apart. It's why he didn't right in good and evil as part of his law and chaos divide.

Which means the blame for the 9 block alignment system and the use of Law to not mean Law, but mean something else, falls to the people who made DnD. Because Morcock was using an entirely different system.
Uh no, the source material is the work of Poul Andersen and then Michael Moorcock. D&D Alignment is derived from that. I haven't read anything by Andersen myself, but I've read a fair amount of Moorcock's Elric stories. In them, Law as an alignment has nothing to do with human laws, and this is the way it was adapted into Chainmail and then D&D, published in 1974. The good-evil axis wasn't officially added until 1977 with the publication of Holmes Basic and the AD&D Monster Manual. Both before and after 1977, Law in D&D, just like in the Elric saga, is a side in a cosmic conflict, nothing to do with following man-made laws. For the record, both sides in the Elric stories were pretty dang evil.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm glad you're finally starting to get it.

No, I knew you had so very little idea of what you were talking about from the beginning. Because if that oath is enough to make you Lawful, then really you are advocating for 4e Alignment system, because there is only Good and Lawful Good, Evil and Chaotic Evil and not much else.

Because "I promise to be good and not evil" is not a lawful sentiment. It has nothing to do with law, unless you are trying to say that the content of the Oath is less meaningful than making one, in which case Followers of Orcus and Graz'zt would default to Lawful, because they make oaths too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, and not just to survive. Now, those types of acts might be considered evil, and I think the element of self preservation ameliorates that, but I don't think they touch upon law and chaos to any great degree.

As I posted upthread, in my game, I use the definition of Law from the 1E DMG. It says that "law dictates that order and organization is necessary and desirable," and "generally supports the group as more important than the individual" (p. 23).

What social bonds is Aladdin actually abandoning by lying, cheating, and stealing to survive? As far as I recall, the only significant social bond he has is with his pet monkey who also depends on him (and his lying, cheating, and stealing) for survival, so those actions are supportive of rather than detrimental to Aladdin's bond.

Then, just like Max above, you are using 4e's model. Because anyone who isn't a complete psychopath is Lawful to enough of a degree that no one is Chaotic. Everyone has social bonds. If Aladdin and his monkey constitutes enough of a group to support Aladdin being lawful, then the only Chaotic people are those who stand completely alone and care nothing for order and organization.

Orcs for example, would be lawful. They have social bounds, and an order and organization they follow. They follow their chief and their chief has his duties to the tribe. If this is our definition, then it is worse than useless, because it only comes into play when dealing with singular individuals who it will be fairly obvious whether or not they are chaotic.

Forgive my facetiousness, but I think you pretty badly misunderstood what I was getting at by saying that part of your premise is that "Aladdin isn't less effective in social interaction than his lawful counterpart, all other things being equal." I meant that if Aladdin and his so-called lawful counterpart were in equally challenging social situations, that Aladdin wouldn't fare any worse. You then described a situation that wasn't a social interaction challenge at all the way you described it and compared that with a situation in which Aladdin uses his charisma to get Jasmine out of trouble. I'd hardly call that a fair comparison.

See, but that was the point.

When you are working within the laws, within the norms of society, you don't need Charisma to accomplish a goal. A situation that required Charisma and would have challenged and developed those skills, turns into a by the book procedure that doesn't challenge Aladdin. Because it is far harder to convince people to break with their lawful and expected behaviors, than to just... do the thing they were doing.

Additionally, if you want to enforce lawful behavior... you appeal to authority. If Aladdin wanted to insist on the Laws being followed, he may have tried making an impassioned speech, but he would also be just as well served calling the guards, whose job it is to enforce the Laws.

Now, if you want to call that the reason for your boost, then we run into a lot of other issues. For example, why do Chaotic characters not get the same boost? If the reasoning is that it is easier to convince people to follow the structures they are encouraged to follow do to external authority, or that they can call upon the authorities to enforce that position, then the boost would apply not to the character, but to any action that calls upon those authorities. And, many times, I would say that approaching enforcers whose job it is to enforce, and asking them publically to do their job, is going to be an auto-result, because that is their role. And if a roll is needed... I'm not giving a Lawful character a boost, because the very fact that they need to roll tells everyone that these people are not swayed by merely the facet of law.

In short, it would seem to make more sense to boost the roll for the situation, rather for an alignment, because that seems to be where the actual easing of conditions happens, not because of whether or not the person making the roll believes in law and order.

As long as you understand that's how the game works, I don't see how there's any basis for your objection that I'm "changing" the DC. Before the specific character did something, there was no DC to change.

And I get what you're saying, but I'm not buying it. Your position relies on the idea that there are these devilishly charming schmoozer characters that can trick anyone into believing they're trustworthy and agreeing to anything they want just by turning on the charm, but doesn't take into account how persuasive someone with the same level of social aptitude can be when they are known to behave in a manner that is consistent and trustworthy. All things being equal, people tend to believe and trust the lawful paladin over the chaotic barbarian. What about that fiction?

Here is the rub though, that relies on knowing the character.

The fiction of the Paladin being trusted has nothing to do with whether an individual Paladin is Lawful, it is the same that people are more likely to trust a doctor than they are a bystander. It is the authority of the badge/uniform. And that would be the same no matter what, if your Chaotic Barbarian is famously part of a tribe who would die before breaking their word, then whether or not the Barbarian will keep his word isn't the point, the point is his people are famous for trustworthiness.

And if the Barbarian or the Paladin are known to be liars or cheats... then people react to the person they know, and not the uniform. Which again, becomes about knowing the person, not their alignment. If the Barbarian has a reputation of following through with threats, and he threatens someone, then people are going to believe him. Because his behavior is in this matter is consistent, if he says he will punch you in the face, he will punch you in the face.

I remember you mentioning something about tuning forks and people being magnetized by alignment, so maybe in your mind everyone who encounters the Paladin can feel the "Lawfullness" radiating off of him, and therefore know that he is a person who always keeps his word.... but first off, again, that doesn't change the same bonus you are talking about applying to any situation where the character is well known, and secondly, that is a vast change to how the game works. Because if everyone has a constant "Detect Alignment" sensor then you can't have infiltrators, or evil cults, or anything of the like, because the moment someone met them, they'd know they were evil and untrustworthy.

Well, you left out the part about all else being equal before. I never said that lawful characters are always better at social interaction than chaotic characters, and that isn't the effect of my rule. A lot of variables can make that not the case, including the alignment of the NPC that is being influenced. So no, that's not the intended effect. You're wrong, which is what I've been saying since you started this. There are plenty of characters in fiction like you describe, yes, and there are also lawful characters that are good socially and chaotic characters that are poor socially. Maybe you don't notice these ones as much because they don't overturn normal expectations of human interaction and so aren't as visible.

But in fiction, all else is never equal. This is like saying that Heroes are stronger than Villains in the MCU, all else being equal. Which is false, because the Villains tend to be stronger, that's why the heroes work as a team. You are giving a boost to Lawful characters under an assumption that they should get a boost, that they should be more effective, and you didn't say something like "lawful characters get a boost when trying to persuade other lawful characters in a lawful course of action" You said that lawful characters get a boost to charisma, because they are better at working with people in a group.

That is a very different claim, and it isn't one that make sense, when Chaotic people not only form groups (and that seems to be enough to make them Lawful all of a sudden) but they form groups to oppose the entrenched lawful society. Something far harder, and yet done with regularity in fiction.

Or that you're not using the tool for its intended purpose. You're the one who says they're chaotic. That doesn't make it so.

IF people can't look at a list of characters and figure out their alignment, then how does alignment help us define characters in any meaningful way?

Uh no, the source material is the work of Poul Andersen and then Michael Moorcock. D&D Alignment is derived from that. I haven't read anything by Andersen myself, but I've read a fair amount of Moorcock's Elric stories. In them, Law as an alignment has nothing to do with human laws, and this is the way it was adapted into Chainmail and then D&D, published in 1974. The good-evil axis wasn't officially added until 1977 with the publication of Holmes Basic and the AD&D Monster Manual. Both before and after 1977, Law in D&D, just like in the Elric saga, is a side in a cosmic conflict, nothing to do with following man-made laws. For the record, both sides in the Elric stories were pretty dang evil.

So, again, Moorcock has nothing to do with the current thing I'm complaining about. They didn't have Good Law and Evil Law, which was codified in DnD. Once you have made a split into Good Law and Evil Law, then Moorcockian Law no longer applies, because it is a nonsensical divide to that perspective.

Maybe, maybe you could make a case that Moorcock's version of Law and Chaos was the norm for three years. But then Gygax and Arnenson and the rest of TSR added Good and Evil to the mix, and therefore changed the definition of Law and Chaos. Because you must then have a split between these sides. You can't have Pure Law or Pure Good. You must have Lawful Good and Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil, because those are now the factions.

In Moorcock (or at least a derivative) ultimate pure Law is a static world. Nothing moves or changes, it is Dead and still. Now, look at DnD's "Plane of Pure Law" Mechanus is a plane of movement, constant movement. Ordered, sure, but it is machinery, constantly moving, changing, documenting, The Modrons even can be Chaotic, it breaks them, but in Moorcock's version of Ultimate Law, things don't break. They can't, they are perfectly ordered and precise.

So, once more, and with feeling. Moorcock's version of Law has nothing to do with DnD's version of Law. It may have inspired it, it may have been the source of it for three years, but DnD abandoned that concept pretty early on and took on its own conception of Law and Chaos. So, blaming Moorcock for what DnD did is nonsensical. Again, I might as well blame Homer, Socrates and Plato, who also envisioned the law and order of society in opposition to the chaotic wilderness of monsters and beasts, with both good and evil capable of being found in both places. Moorcock didn't event that conflict, he just made a single famous version of it.

Until such a time that they encounter something that bucks those basic assumptions, then it is worse than useless.

I also like how all the monsters and enemies wear little two letter signs above their head declaring their allegiances clear for any player to see. Oh wait, no, those are just for the DM. The player just needs them to tell him how to play his character, because they couldn't figure out that they wanted to play someone who is kind-hearted but respects authority until they reached into the mystery bag and pulled out LG... oh wait, they had to decide all of that before writing down LG.... so... it is a shorthand for telling the other players about their character, because clearly two letters is better than actually talking about their character....

It is useful for saying "those are enemies" I can give it that much.
And again either you go too far or not enough in your analysis.
The alignments are not the end and all means to play a monster or an NPC. They are a tool. A tool. Don't you understand? Sometimes, when you build something, you need a hammer, other times you need a screedriver or even a demolition mace. Alignment is a basic tool for any DM and even players to start playing both characters and monsters in certain ways.

I certainly play a LE critter way differently than a CN or a CE one. Good creatures do not play like evil ones and lawful ones differs from chaotic ones.
If you can't understand that, I can't even try to help you.

As for the:" because clearly two letters is better than actually talking about their character.... "
That is utter BS. You are again putting words in my mouth (and a lot of others by the way). We never said that. NEVER EVER! Ideals, Bonds and Flaws are also on the character's sheet you know that yes???? Again, alignment is ONE of the TOOLS given to both players and DM to play out characters and NPC and monsters. IF you don't want to use that tool for reasons. Then do not use it. That is your prerogative. But from what you wrote, implying that two letters are enough for a character, you clearly do not understand (or do not want to ) what alignments are. A tool.

TheSword

Legend
A bit late to the party on this one, but...a big problem with this is that "good" is what almost all people identify THEIR chosen values as.

It is "good" for a Catholic nun to recommend chastity instead of contraception, just as it is "good" for a Catholic nun to collect alms for the poor. It is "good" for a radical socialist to advocate the violent death of any and all individuals harboring anti-revolutionary sentiment, just as it is "good" for a radical socialist to advocate economic and social justice for the disenfranchised. It is "good" for the ca. 1350 AD Aztec to want regular human sacrifices to ensure that the moon does not consume the sun and end the world, just as it is "good" for that same Aztec to want sustainable farming practices in harmony with the land upon which they live.

It's not that "people are treating the good alignment as not necessarily good," but rather that humans pretty much always start off with the assumption that how they've structured and understood their values IS what "the good" is. Moreover, that any other structuring and understanding of "the good" is a distortion, duplication, or dilution thereof. It is EXTREMELY hard for most people to fully dissociate "the way I specifically choose to behave" from "the way all people should choose to behave."

Like, let's look at your example listed stuff. "Truth, life and beauty, and also pursuing the greatest happiness for the greatest number." That's pretty clearly Millsian utilitarianism: you have articulated that happiness is the utility standard by which morality should be judged, and strongly implied the existence of incommensurate "lower" and "higher" forms of happiness (e.g., no amount of the happiness that comes from sleeping really well can ever meaningfully compare to the happiness that comes from understanding universal truths or having seen sublime natural scenes, hence why you highlighted truth and beauty specifically.) But that's a fundamentally consequentialist ethic, and one committed to a specific standard: happiness. What if someone chose productivity as their standard? Or aesthetic beauty? You'd be down to a fundmental conflict over what "the good" means--something that has plagued philosophy basically forever. (Two and a half thousand years, bare minimum.)

That's the reason that you get people saying, "Hey. Maybe it'd be better if we just...tried not to do this whole 'good/evil' thing." Because nobody views themselves as being Evil--even many of the people history now views as its worst monsters. Did Stalin view himself as Evil when he purged the kulaks, and thus directly created famine conditions for millions of his own people? I doubt it; he almost certainly genuinely believed that he was fighting the enemies of the Party and the People, that he was fighting against those who championed injustice and oppression. Indeed, he might even argue that he was pursuing "the greatest happiness for the greatest number" by eliminating a (relatively) wealthy class that, with their wealth and resources redistributed, would lead to more people having essentially-equally-happy lives.

Note that I am not actually arguing that I don't believe in objective good--I do. The problem lies more in that most people will see themselves as Good no matter what they do, even if you DO give an explicit and highly detailed definition of what "Good" is. And if most people will see themselves as Good, when (presumably) many of them are actually objectively-Evil, how should we address that? For many, the answer is "stop focusing on the label Good/Evil, which will be interpreted separately, and instead classify based on what values a person actually expresses."
Is it a problem that people have their own definitions of what good behaviours are. As a general rule the game doesn’t prejudice actions, outside of written adventures (and easily ignored flaws/bonds etc). It means I can play the game at a table and operate on my societies perspective of good and strict Catholics can operate on their expectation.

The exact definition of what is good or not, very rarely comes up in table play (rather than forum debates). Usually it’s a result of someone trying to justify something morally dubious but expedient for their character.

The beauty of the Alignment system and how it has change over the years is to have an objective sense of good and evil to characters in game, that is subjective to each table.

And again either you go too far or not enough in your analysis.
The alignments are not the end and all means to play a monster or an NPC. They are a tool. A tool. Don't you understand? Sometimes, when you build something, you need a hammer, other times you need a screedriver or even a demolition mace. Alignment is a basic tool for any DM and even players to start playing both characters and monsters in certain ways.

I certainly play a LE critter way differently than a CN or a CE one. Good creatures do not play like evil ones and lawful ones differs from chaotic ones.
If you can't understand that, I can't even try to help you.

As for the:" because clearly two letters is better than actually talking about their character.... "
That is utter BS. You are again putting words in my mouth (and a lot of others by the way). We never said that. NEVER EVER! Ideals, Bonds and Flaws are also on the character's sheet you know that yes???? Again, alignment is ONE of the TOOLS given to both players and DM to play out characters and NPC and monsters. IF you don't want to use that tool for reasons. Then do not use it. That is your prerogative. But from what you wrote, implying that two letters are enough for a character, you clearly do not understand (or do not want to ) what alignments are. A tool.
Alignment is a tool, like a sharp rock without a handle. Mankind has been using sharp rocks without a handle for millennia!

Some people argue that it is easy to cut yourself on a sharp rock without a handle. But those were people who weren’t using a sharp rock without a handle properly.

I want to emphasize that I’m not forcing anyone to use a sharp rock without a handle. I believe that it should be included standard in every toolbox, but if you don’t think a sharp rock without a handle is necessary, just don’t use it.

😃

the fact that there are other factors that also modify likely behavior doesn’t invalidate the usefulness of alignment.

Arlas is a shopkeeper who doesn’t mind cheating people. I’d say True Neutral is a stretch for such a character, but the other alignments all work, depending on his outlook and behavior towards others outside of his business dealings.

And if the party comes back and needs a shopkeeper to or other local to take a risk to help them, an insight check might help them predict whether he is a bad choice to go to, based on, among other things, his alignment.
The use case people have described for alignment is that of a NPC who is not sufficiently important for the DM to flesh out his background beyond a shorthand.

Hence Arlas, the type of character a DM might create on the spur of the moment. It seems to me, that for this type of typical character, which unless I’m misunderstanding is the use case for alignment, alignment isn’t particularly useful: both because many alignments would lead the character they exact same way, and also because people of the same alignment (as modified by the notes the GM might have on a typical shopkeeper) might react differently.

What you have responded is that if the PCs have a completely different interaction with Arlas in the future, alignment might be relevant in that case.
This isn’t a particularly strong case for alignment for minor NPCs.

Arlas is better served by the 3 sentences of notes that I used to describe him (and that took 1 minute to jot down) and his alignment was irrelevant to describing him, or even characterizing his description.

I'm glad they finally divorced if from most game mechanics, but my biggest issue with alignment is that it "boxes" morality in a way that turns into a massive oversimplification of how both psychology and society actually work. It's clearly a very old school way of conceptualizing morality and IMO it's really time it gets replaced with something more interesting.

One of my favorite homebrew modules for 5e is a supplement for secondary and tertiary ability scores that adds 6 new secondary scores with minor effects/mechanics (Courage, Sanity, Composure, Allure, Luck/Fate, and Style), and essentially replaces alignment with 3 new tertiary scores: Empathy, Honor, and Piety.

It may sound convoluted to have 15 ability scores, but it isn't with the way they're set up here - it's awesome. In many ways it actually simplifies the game and makes character building a lot more interesting.

The tertiary scores interact with other character traits/religion/reputation to help inform views and guide players in making character decisions. They can even form the basis of roll-based branching character arcs and can rise or lower over time.

Sounds very White Wolf-y.
I have introduced Sanity, Reputation (as opposed to Honour) and Piety.
And I felt it easier to include Conditions that play into Courage/Composure other than the Fear Condition.

Allure and perhaps Style sounds like it would supplant some of Charisma's terrain and I'm not a fan of a Luck/Fate ability.

Empathy is an interesting one though.

Oofta

Legend
The use case people have described for alignment is that of a NPC who is not sufficiently important for the DM to flesh out his background beyond a shorthand.

Hence Arlas, the type of character a DM might create on the spur of the moment. It seems to me, that for this type of typical character, which unless I’m misunderstanding is the use case for alignment, alignment isn’t particularly useful: both because many alignments would lead the character they exact same way, and also because people of the same alignment (as modified by the notes the GM might have on a typical shopkeeper) might react differently.

What you have responded is that if the PCs have a completely different interaction with Arlas in the future, alignment might be relevant in that case.
This isn’t a particularly strong case for alignment for minor NPCs.

Arlas is better served by the 3 sentences of notes that I used to describe him (and that took 1 minute to jot down) and his alignment was irrelevant to describing him, or even characterizing his description.
Then jot down those 3 sentences. Done.

In the meantime if the party comes across a hungry red dragon or a hungry gold dragon I know quite a bit about how the encounter is going to play out with each one assuming I haven't changed the default alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads