D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Everyone is different, but I believe WotC surveys agreed with the DnD Beyond data. Personally, my groups are 75% human or elf. Then we have things like giants, lizard folk, yuan-ti, dragon-kin, and every once and a while a halfling
We have one player who plays humans exclusively, but the rest of us play them maybe 20% of the time.

Yep, every one is different. shrug

I've made a hack attempt at 5e without ability scores, and if I ever wrote a newbie heartbreaker, that's the first thing I'd do.

There is a difference between erasing those stats altogether and instead divide between cultural and biological aspects and just do whatever you like.

You could also group abilites:
as an example you could tie the +2 bonus of the mountain dwarf together. You can keep both or nothing. Both reflect your martial training and you can't divide them.
If you take an int bonus it is only +1 and you can't keep the armor proficiency and instead have to learn a cantrip.
The constitution bonus however reflects the sturdiness of the dwarves in general. In a game without ability score bonuses this could easily be replaced by +1 hp per level and a +1 bonus to hp regeneration per die healed.

Actually the DnDnext playtest started with only lesser ability score increases from race and part of them came with your class. Sadly this approach was rejected back then. Most probably today it would make the cut.

This would also be interesting for multiclass character, as gaining a different class could actually still give you the bonus (if it is a different one than the one you got at character creation) so the MAD ness from multiclassing could be remedied. Also tying ability scores to class would allowespecially MAD classes to gain more +1s than SADclasses, so the can more easily exist in a point buy system. This bonus would reflect your training.

Probably I will do tge same with this system as I do with other rules option. I use this as a base and then tinker with it until it fits.

ChaosOS

Legend
However, since I am really trying to be more positive these days, I fully intend to use this to set up a little toolbox to create new races. By the way...wasn't there a third-party supplement that already dealt with lineages? Does anyone know the name and whether it's any good?

There's been a few. The first is the one that got the most attention. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best of the these, just that it got the most attention.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If your spell attack and save DC are one lower than the gnome's, you are still effective as a character.

I've read about this so many times it boggles my mind, I just don't see it as a problem. Especially when you consider that in the end both PCs will have an INT 20 if they want it. Sure, it might take the dragonborn longer to get there, but he will if he wants to. Also, if you do roll scores (which as always been the default method) maybe you roll an 18 and the other player rolls a 15 as his highest. Now, even with the +2 INT ASI you are still better with your 18.
It's not about being in competition with the gnome wizard in your party, it's about being worse than the gnome wizard you could have been playing instead of the dragonborn. And knowing that nothing you got from being a dragonborn is as useful and potent as that +2 to Int from gnome.

Look, if staring at a 14 in someone's main stat at level 1 instead of a 16 doesn't make your brain itch, I simply can't explain it. I can't justify the psychology to you in any rational way, but it's there, and it certainly stopped me from pursuing a lot of cool options I thought of. Likewise, I'm sure having racial adjustments fixed satisfies a group of players on some psychological level I don't understand, judging from a lot of the emotional reaction on the topic.

But I hope the fact that a lot of people keep saying it's a problem impresses on you that there is something to the complaint, even if you don't understand it or feel it's something they should get over. This new rule makes me happier, because I can finally play an elf barbarian or a halfling wizard without feeling diminished by not picking a better race.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's not about being in competition with the gnome wizard in your party, it's about being worse than the gnome wizard you could have been playing instead of the dragonborn. And knowing that nothing you got from being a dragonborn is as useful and potent as that +2 to Int from gnome.
I get that, but each race offers its own unique traits that impact your PCs in other ways. How much value or impact those other traits has is in the eye of the beholder, but I play a race because that is the vision for my PC--not because I worry about a +1 difference in modifier. Being +1 less shouldn't make your PC less enjoyable to play IMO, but apparently for some people, it does. shrug

Look, if staring at a 14 in someone's main stat at level 1 instead of a 16 doesn't make your brain itch, I simply can't explain it. I can't justify the psychology to you in any rational way, but it's there, and it certainly stopped me from pursuing a lot of cool options I thought of. Likewise, I'm sure having racial adjustments fixed satisfies a group of players on some psychological level I don't understand, judging from a lot of the emotional reaction on the topic.
Oh, I know. I appreciate your response, but the thought process just doesn't jibe with me. I, like the people you mention, and completely in support of fixed racial ASIs because they are different fantasy species, not different ethnicities (?) of humans. Orcs stronger than elves? Sure. Dwarves hardier than gnomes? Yep. And so on.

I don't mind the idea of swapping the ASI +2, but reducing it to +1, because in my mind that represents you are going against your racial norm, and you that process is harder, so you get a bit less. I would remove the ASI +1's, I don't think they are needed, personally. Keep it simple: your core race gets a +2 locked someplace, if you don't want it, you get a floating +1 instead.

But I hope the fact that a lot of people keep saying it's a problem impresses on you that there is something to the complaint, even if you don't understand it or feel it's something they should get over. This new rule makes me happier, because I can finally play an elf barbarian or a halfling wizard without feeling diminished by not picking a better race.
Well, a lot of tables already float their ASIs. We've played that way at one time or another at our tables, so I am not surprised they made the concept "official". It doesn't stop anyone who wants to keep their racial ASIs where they were. I'm glad you're happier, I guess to me it is simply a shame you felt you needed this to be happy with your characters. :(

It sort of reminds me of players in the past who took proficiency in a weapon (like in AD&D), but the first magic weapon the group got was something they couldn't use, and were like "man, I wish I had taken proficiency in that weapon instead!" Suddenly, they are unhappy with their PC because of a choice they made. shrug

Anyway, thanks for the response. I'm glad you get to play what you want.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
don’t feel like you have to respond to me. If your quality of answer is going to be as factually correct as this I’m not really going to spend the time to respond and correct you.

Mod Note:

You have been so rude that you are being removed from this thread of conversation. So, you won't have to worry about responding.

Now, maybe you'll actually be sorry for being harsh. Next time, treat people with a modicum of respect.

Hmmm.

Seems like letting you swap simple and martial weapon proficiencies for Tool proficiencies is a bit much, because Tool proficiencies are much more cautiously handed out. They should let people swap martial weapons proficiencies only for other MWPs or SWPs. Likewise, if you're swapping a tool proficiency for an MWP, you're kind of ripping yourself off, but I guess that's more okay, though I'm not sure I love moving power out of non-combat into combat.

The rest of it seems pretty reasonable, and the stat move-around thing is good, though it's still a huge problem that some races get more stats than others, total. Hopefully Tashas has specific fixes for those cases.

If this is the sum total of the race customization stuff, though, that's sad as hell. Hopefully it's just a simplified version of it or something.

Right now though this is implemented in a way that does indeed make the "best" option basically be Mountain Dwarf, because you get +2 to two stats, Light and Medium armour proficiency, and 2 simple and 2 martial weapon proficiencies. You can probably just make the SWPs into two more tool proficiencies, the the martial weapon proficiencies can either stay, or go on to ones which sure up your character combat-wise.

Which was exactly what alarmists were worried about. Sigh.

Hmmm.

Seems like letting you swap martial weapon proficiencies for Tool proficiencies is a bit much, because Tool proficiencies are much more cautiously handed out. They should let people swap martial weapons proficiencies only for other MWPs or SWPs. Likewise, if you're swapping a tool proficiency for an MWP, you're kind of ripping yourself off, but I guess that's more okay, though I'm not sure I love moving power out of non-combat into combat.

The rest of it seems pretty reasonable, and the stat move-around thing is good, though it's still a huge problem that some races get more stats than others, total. Hopefully Tashas has specific fixes for those cases.

If this is the sum total of the race customization stuff, though, that's sad as hell. Hopefully it's just a simplified version of it or something.

Good point.

Now a drow rogue can swap out proficiency with rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows for proficiency with the disguise kit, poisoners kit, and forgery kit without losing anything.

Remove ads

Remove ads