D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

"Now a drow rogue can swap out proficiency with rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows for proficiency with the disguise kit, poisoners kit, and forgery kit without losing anything. "

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.

Weapons and tools aren't the same type. Or am I missing something?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Good point.

Now a drow rogue can swap out proficiency with rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows for proficiency with the disguise kit, poisoners kit, and forgery kit without losing anything.
It makes me wonder why not just get rid of all of them and say, "Hey, look, every PC gets an additional 3-4 proficiencies for weapons, armors, tools, kits, or whatever." Don't worry about anything that might (shocker) define your PC or its race. Just make everything a la carte and stuff yourselves. ;)

"Now a drow rogue can swap out proficiency with rapiers, shortswords, and hand crossbows for proficiency with the disguise kit, poisoners kit, and forgery kit without losing anything. "

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.

Weapons and tools aren't the same type. Or am I missing something?

1600261343995.png

Attachments

• 1600261279020.png
    1600261279020.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,460

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well, a lot of tables already float their ASIs. We've played that way at one time or another at our tables, so I am not surprised they made the concept "official". It doesn't stop anyone who wants to keep their racial ASIs where they were. I'm glad you're happier, I guess to me it is simply a shame you felt you needed this to be happy with your characters. :(
Well, I'll be happier when I make a new character, since there are some concepts I've held back on due to race-class mismatch. All my other characters are fine. :)

It sort of reminds me of players in the past who took proficiency in a weapon (like in AD&D), but the first magic weapon the group got was something they couldn't use, and were like "man, I wish I had taken proficiency in that weapon instead!" Suddenly, they are unhappy with their PC because of a choice they made. shrug
I think that's definitely a thing. Heck, I think that was an underlying reason they want from specific weapon proficiencies in 2E to broad proficiency in 3E.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It makes me wonder why not just get rid of all of them and say, "Hey, look, every PC gets an additional 3-4 proficiencies for weapons, armors, tools, kits, or whatever." Don't worry about anything that might (shocker) define your PC or its race. Just make everything a la carte and stuff yourselves. ;)
I think an eventual 6E might go there. You still need to have race/species as a selection box because it's a fantasy game trope, but you detach the majority of the mechanical widgets from the race. It becomes mostly an aesthetic skin with maybe one or two powers attached (much like most fantasy CRPGs I'm aware of).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think an eventual 6E might go there. You still need to have race/species as a selection box because it's a fantasy game trope, but you detach the majority of the mechanical widgets from the race. It becomes mostly an aesthetic skin with maybe one or two powers attached (much like most fantasy CRPGs I'm aware of).
Probably. Personally, I would rather just remove ASI's completely from race, and give each race a few defining traits like you suggest.

Ability scores have really changed a lot in 5E and how they work/ what they represent, even if many players don't realize it.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I cant wait to see the final system. As of now, from what I've seen (which isnt much) it sure makes me glad A5E will be having a heritage system that makes the origin part of the character actually matter, instead of this system that seems make the race choice at lvl 1 more of a fluff choice than anything.

Remove ads

Remove ads