A Minor Rant

darjr

I crit!
Who cares if they get all the views.

Block em.

I do and I don't see em on youtube. Just looked on twitter and I don't see any spoilers there either.

Not on facebook either, though individuals I know that spoil I'll mute instead of block.

The worst I ever got was someone just dropping major spoilers about Star Wars: the Force Awakens on the general chat of the SW: Old Republic MMO two days after the movie came out. It was a game I was playing specifically because I was hyped about the movie, but was saving it to see with my family on Christmas. There wasn't even anyone willing to converse with the guy, he was just trying to strike up a conversation on a not terribly chatty server. The spoiled reveals were pretty expected things, but the context of spoiling was unforgivable. And is wasn't a PvP server, so nobody could even go kill him for it. Whether he was a clueless idiot or a savvy troll I'll never know, he just popped into my life to steal a little piece of Christmas and was gone. The internet sucks.

It's annoying but I manage to avoid seeing spoilers by pre-planning my media consumption for the week something new comes out. Not having a job that requires being online or customer facing helps. My buddy works at a gaming store/cafe and he overhears people discussing stuff all the time. I haven't thought much about it but it is kinda nuts the lengths I go to to avoid spoilers.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The only solution I've found: I've learned to just be okay with stuff getting spoiled for me. Terrible, I know, but I don't really have any other options. I can't control what other people talk about, and I have only limited control over the amount of media I'm exposed to. I have more control over how upset I get over movies, books, and video games, so that's what I have to do.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
It’s what happens when standards of journalism as we know them are receding into antiquity. Most of the people feeding Twitter and Youtube have no code or sense of ethics, but are beholden to their advertisers or the number of likes they can get for something.

When there’s no accountability, click bait becomes the order of the day and the only solution is to close your eyes.

Professional film critics don’t don’t spoil films and carefully craft reviews to avoid spoilers. But when you’re not professional what is left is eye grabbing, instant gratification, spoilers.

My only advice is block it, and anyone who peddles hit.

Just mark them as "not interested". You don't need those channels anyway. Same with twitters and other sites.

For instance I don't get spoiled on youtube.
This. Furiously curating your video and social media timelines of everything you do not want is a useful survival tactic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This. Furiously curating your video and social media timelines of everything you do not want is a useful survival tactic.
In general, not even just for this.

I do not personally experience any loss of anything at all from spoilers, and I don’t really grok what it’s like, though.

I mean, is it like when you find out that the creator of a work is a very bad person in a way you find especially egregious and it makes it harder to be excited for the thing?

Regardless, social media sites really should make it easier to curate your experience, but they’re actively incentivized to do the opposite, so I see no real hope for it until regulation forces them to do so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases