Level Up (A5E) A "Quick" Character Generation Sheet

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Okay, how might I fit all this info on two pages without it feeling cramped? I even took out stuff one would just copy verbatim from the PHB. I guess I'll take it as a challenge!
For me it is about putting the stuff on the sheet I consider useful. For example, in my latest character sheet I removed alignment, height, weight, etc. because if any of those things are important to a player, they can always list information under other notes (like if a PC is exceptionally tall for his or her race, etc.)

1598293217348.png

This is both the front and back (the dashed line shows the separation). I made it a form-fillable PDF but even if you print it there is good space for everything IMO.

coolAlias

Explorer
I can make everything closer together and in smaller font along with removing two of the inventory sheets I put in for good measure. I just thought the mock-up for a standard 5e PHB would inspire someone to make an easier to navigate character sheet for the A5E book.
I think the most important thing is to first ask yourself what it is about the standard character sheet that you feel needs improvement, and then go from there.

2 pages (not including spells) is what I would personally consider the max for any "official"-type character sheet, but for personal use obviously whatever fits your and your players' needs.

Giauz

Explorer
I think the most important thing is to first ask yourself what it is about the standard character sheet that you feel needs improvement, and then go from there.

2 pages (not including spells) is what I would personally consider the max for any "official"-type character sheet, but for personal use obviously whatever fits your and your players' needs.
The thing I fdlt most needed improved was the flow of the sheet for character generation purposes. To this end I organized all the different fill boxes to flow from top to bottom and left to right as well as icluded the page references. I also combined inventory, spells and weapons into a single section since many spells require items to work, and I saw no point in keeping weapons and damage calculations separate from inventory. I tried to simplify where I could (example: only writing down page numbers of the PHB rather than copying info on them), but all this info on the sheet is potentially very useful for role-playing. Again, I can condense to something more like @dnd4vr

coolAlias

Explorer
The thing I fdlt most needed improved was the flow of the sheet for character generation purposes.
I think it's worth keeping in mind that a character sheet's primary function should be to facilitate finding information needed during play - character generation only happens once, while the resulting character sheet may be used for many dozens of sessions.

Giauz

Explorer
I think it's worth keeping in mind that a character sheet's primary function should be to facilitate finding information needed during play - character generation only happens once, while the resulting character sheet may be used for many dozens of sessions.
That is a feature of this sheet, but version 3.0 will tend more towards that principle. Well, chargen might also happen a few times over the course of a deadly campaign, and I have to say that creating a character in about an hour beats creating one over the course of a few hours using a standard character sheet (chargen is a slow, nerve-wracking problem for me).

aco175

Legend
That is a lot of sheet for me to change from the one-page I have now. There may also be some that will want to use the PHB sheet if this is 5e compatible. I could see another sheet that looks similar if there are things in LevelUp that requires it.

Giauz

Explorer
That is a lot of sheet for me to change from the one-page I have now. There may also be some that will want to use the PHB sheet if this is 5e compatible. I could see another sheet that looks similar if there are things in LevelUp that requires it.
How do you fit all that on a single page? Granted, three of the pages are basically copies for spells and items and the rest uses large fonts and generous spacing.

Giauz

Explorer
I just use the basic things that are needed to play in my games. It takes me 15 minutes to make a character.
View attachment 125051
I process things very slowly, especially reading over and selecting spells for example. I will take the one-page char sheet as a design challenge, I guess. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing your custom char templates!

Remove ads