• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A simple, brilliant fix for the Monk

Tyrion

First Post
Assuming, of course, that you find the monk underpowered overall, and that a similar solution to hasn't been proposed before, and that you actually think it's a good idea. :D

Here it is: (NOTE! THIS POST IS OUTDATED--CHECK BELOW FOR MY UPDATED HOUSE RULE)

---
Mastery of Self (Ex): The monk's training has allowed him to hone an aspect of himself to a higher level of functioning. This self-improvement can be physical, mental, or spiritual. Whenever this ability is gained, the monk may add a +1 Monk bonus to any ability score, or increase any existing Monk bonus by +1.

This ability is gained at the following levels: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17.
---

Here's why I think this is a good house rule for the monk. First, it completely fits with the monk's theme and flavour--self-improvement is a recurring theme in all sorts of monk lore, and increasing one's ability scores is the most direct way of doing that. Second, it adds lots of customizability to the class. Finally, it addresses the monk's heavy dependency on multiple ability scores, and gives them a general power boost which (IMO) they sorely need.

Do you think I should increase or decrease the number of ability boosts? Is the distribution okay? Can you think of a snazzier name?

In general, I'd highly appreciate any commentary or criticism on this change, no matter how harsh (or positive :)).

Last edited:

I don't know if it's brilliant, but it is certainly an option to explore.
Personally, I think the Dwarves weakness is less the "MAD", but the combination of low attack bonus and armor class, which can be adressed with increasing ability scores, but also other options. (I think there are probably dozens of ways to improve the Monk, but I wouldn't want to decide easily if they are balanced or really adress percieved problems :) )

Thematically, these abilities definitely fit.

I wouldn't make the ability bonus named. There is no real need for a "Monk Bonus to Ability Score", especially if you want the bonus to stack anyway. If you want to name them, I would use existing bonus. (I'd recommend against Enhancement, and would probably go for inherent)

Giving out an ability bonus every 2 levels seems a bit much, compared to how little ability bonus increase otherwise. On the other hand, the effect might look neglible otherwise.
An alternative progression might be at level 5, 10, 15 and 20.

Tyrion

First Post
Thanks for your comments (and yeah, I was kidding about the brilliant part :D ). I'll definitely consider changing the bonus to an unnamed one...I'll probably avoid changing it to an inherent one because I want the monk's bonus to stay completely unique in the world of D&D, for both flavour and game balance reasons. Anyone else?

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It would be too overpowered in my game. Then again, I haven't found the monk to be as underpowered as you have, so I'm in less need of a fix!

I definitely like the feel, though. I'd probably just limit it to fewer levels.

XCorvis

First Post
Interesting fix, but it seems to have a great potential for abuse. Take a monk with OK stats and put every stat boost into one ability. Then add enhancement items to it. Then, later, add inherant bonuses. You're looking at a really high score. Even at low levels, that can still be pretty high. An elf monk 7 could easily have a dex of 26 (18+2 elf+2 enhancement+3 monk+1 level).

Personally, I'd make it an enhancement (or inherant) bonus and force it to be spread it around a bit. Make it 4 bumps of +2 each that can't be used on the same score more than once. It's still useful, but it's not going to end up being badly abused.

Actually, this has me thinking about barbarian rage. Barbarians easily get up into that high-stat range, but they only do it for a little while. What if the monk had a "warrior's trance" ability that bumped a couple of stats by a bit, but only with a limited duration, and maybe a side effect. +2 to dex and wisdom? Maybe add in some styles based on that? Iron Shirt style could give you +1 NA and +2 con instead of the regular bonus, etc...

Land Outcast said:
Dex 18... "ok"... sure :p
I don't see anything wrong with that. I certainly would find a character with a (starting) ability score of 18 okay. :) ;)

But to the rest of the original post:
I don't think that high ability score is bad or abuse per se. It is, first and foremost, a high ability score. Especially for the Monk, a single high ability score isn't that great. It is expensive (especially if you assume the offical baseline - even if not actual practice, except in groups like mine - of 25 point buy) to get there, and a Monk needs other abilities, too.
The Multiple Ability Dependency cannot fully be compensated with single high ability score. Though it certainly helps. But in the specific example, I think a Monk would probably benefit equally if he would focus on another ability, or spread out the ability points.
MAD has one "advantage" - next to any improvement to an ability score will make a substantial benefit to the characters effectiveness. A Full Plate Fighter gains little from a bonus to Wisdom or Dexterity, but a Monk will be very happy about it.

Personally, I'd make it an enhancement (or inherant) bonus and force it to be spread it around a bit. Make it 4 bumps of +2 each that can't be used on the same score more than once. It's still useful, but it's not going to end up being badly abused.
I think enhancement bonus isn't such a great idea, but increasing the individual bonus to +2 and switching to a lower number of bumps (and not allowing it to stack) might be a good idea.

Actually, this has me thinking about barbarian rage. Barbarians easily get up into that high-stat range, but they only do it for a little while. What if the monk had a "warrior's trance" ability that bumped a couple of stats by a bit, but only with a limited duration, and maybe a side effect. +2 to dex and wisdom? Maybe add in some styles based on that? Iron Shirt style could give you +1 NA and +2 con instead of the regular bonus, etc...
Barbarian Rage is a good comparision, if I think about it. Okay, the proposed benefits are permanent, but in combat, this doesn't make such a big difference (since a mid to high level Barbarian will probably be able to rage in any encounter that requires it)

The idea of Warrior Styles is nice. Maybe expanding on the PHB II Combat Form (Focus?) feats could be a good idea (granting them as bonus feats?)

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I like this idea, but I'd definately go with fewer instances, and a +2 inherent bonus that must be applied to a different attribute each time. This helps monks with their MAD. In addition, I'm considering giving monks bonuses when using special combat maneuvers (trip, grapple, disarm, bullrush, etc.) on creatures larger than the monk. Essentially allowing monks to do wat they do best to creatures at the higher levels. Not overly powerful but more of an enabling mechanic added to the monk class.

Remove ads