• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Simple Errand (DM:renau1g, Judge: covaithe)

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yeah I saw that on Righteous Brand... understandable as that bonus could get ridiculous at high levels. +3 is still pretty decent, it doesn't annoy me that much.

I'm going to wimp out and drop the Armor of Faith on Ingot's AC. It's to everyone's advantage to keep the cleric in play. :)[/sblock]

Ingot listens to the chaos around it, still trying to flush the sand from its eye recesses. It prays, "Vulkar protect me from the enemy's blows!" A shimmering light surrounds the warforged, merging with its armor and chassis. As the light stabilizes, Ingot finds that it can see again.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Armor of Faith; Ingot gets +4 AC until end of encounter.
End of Turn: Save vs. blinded (1d20=11) Hoorah![/sblock]
[sblock=Ingot stat block]Ingot- Neuter Warforged Cleric 3
Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14
AC:19 (23), Fort:15, Reflex:12, Will:17 -- Speed:5
HP:21/37 + 4 THP, Bloodied:18, Surge Value:9, Surges left:7/9
Initiative 0
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: Used
Powers: Sacred Flame, Righteous Brand, Healing Word(x2)], Healing Strike, Split the Sky, Avenging Flame, Armor of Faith, Channel Divinity (Divine Fortune/Turn Undead), Warforged Resolve, Acidic Fullblade, Acidic Fullblade
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Dorn reaches out his hand once more, but instead of lightning, an enormous blast of raw force explodes around him.

Ingot listens to the chaos around it, still trying to flush the sand from its eye recesses. It prays, "Vulkar protect me from the enemy's blows!" A shimmering light surrounds the warforged, merging with its armor and chassis. As the light stabilizes, Ingot finds that it can see again.

After punishing the dragon for attacking his friends, Crag feels a blast of arcane energy hit him like a large mallet. His feet drag against the ground, drawing deep lines in the soft earth. Crag looks over at Dorn and tries to make an irritated face.

"Hey! Watch the friendly fire!"

Jumping back over to his original position, he slams his feet into the ground. A shock-wave overturns rocks and mud and the earth trembles all around Crag. A few of the larger rocks are launched skyward, rotating slightly as they arc over the dragon. Gravity takes over, grasping the small boulders in its iron hand and pulls them to the earth. The dragon is kind enough to place his head in between the solid ground and the rock and is rewarded with a knock on the skull.

"Tell me your name you cowardly snake! I want to know what to put on your tombstone so that everyone can know how pathetic you are for a dragon!"

Finch moves across from the dragon and attacks, stabbing the beast with his sword and twisting it.

[sblock=Finch's attack]
vs ac; dmg (1d20 13=31, 1d8 7=14)[/sblock]

The shockwave from Dorn's miscast spell forces up a wave of water that deposits Jax onto the edge of his pool. The kobold's backpack is knocked loose from his shoulder and some of its contents come spilling out. Jax, still blinded, feels at the ground with his hands and returns the lost items where they belong... all except the potion bottle he comes across. He surely couldn't hit the dragon with a dagger in this condition, so he instead takes a breather and quaffs the healing potion.

[sblock=Nature DC15]
More than any other kind of dragon, brown dragons are driven nearly as much by the desire to discover new tastes as by the need to accumulate a hoard. They so love eating that they sometimes take risks in combat merely to “sample” one or more of their foes. Thus, a brown dragon might take a bite instead of making a more tactically advantageous attack for the chance to taste an enemy, especially a creature it has not previously encountered.
Brown dragons prize elf flesh for its succulence and tenderness, and least prefer dwarves, whose tough meat they consider unpalatable unless it is aged

"You wish to contain me? You will adorn my chamber you pathetic whelp!" it roars, its attention off of Jax, for the moment, as it turns into a cloud of sand again, moving through Crag, and leaving the warforged unable to see the threat. It opens its maw and unleashes more burning sands that both Finch and Crag withstand, but Dorn can't dodge the sands and it slams into the half-orc, scouring his flesh and leaving him a bloody mess on the ground. The dragon refuses to relent, biting twice down on Crag, tearing out chunks from him, but it spits them out. "I want the sweet meat, leave me the orc and I'll let you live" it commands

[sblock=Nature DC 20]
A brown dragon’s breath weapon is a blast of supernaturally hot and stinging sand that corrodes flesh and blocks all visibility

[sblock=Nature DC 25]
A brown dragon makes its lair under the sands, in a hollow within a ruin, a cave, or a similar structure. A lair can consist of several such chambers, each one an island of air surrounded by an ocean of smothering sand. A brown dragon doesn’t need tunnels—it can burrow between the rooms of its lair without difficulty.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Monster Stats]
Reflex is higher than 18, but lower than 23
AC is 22[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
*Feel free to post in any order, but actions will be resolved in initiative order below*

Dragon has now taken approx 160 damage or so.

Dragon - uses Cloud of Sand - moves to current spot (still in Crag's burst) dmg (1d6 4=7) hits crag for 7 + blinded (save ends). Uses breath weapon - vs Fort (Crag, Finch, Dorn); dmg (1d20 9=15, 1d20 7=17, 1d20 7=27, 2d8 3=14) Crits Dorn for 19. AP's and double attacks Crag - vs ac; dmg (1d20 12=23, 1d8 5 1d6=11, 1d20 12=24, 1d8 5 1d6=8) hits twice for 19 damage, bloodying you.

The blast creates an area of swirling sand that remains in place until the end of the dragon's next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the area or that moves through the area takes 5 damage. The area blocks line of sight for all creatures except the dragon.

Initiative:
Finch - 21 - -5hp
Jax - 20 - 22/32, blinded (save ends)
Dragon - 14 - used 1 AP, ongoing 5 necrotic (save ends, -2 against this), used Frightful Presence
Dorn - 9 0/32; total concealment while in Shroud, unconscious, dying, prone, blinded (save ends). <- you're up
Ingot - 8 - 21/37+4thp - +4 AC until end of encounter
Crag - 5 - 10/56 - Winter's Herald (+2 Fort), blinded (save ends), bloodied

init (Jax, Ingot, Crag, Dorn, Finch, dragon) (1d20 5=20, 1d20 0=8, 1d20 1=5, 1d20 8=9, 1d20 5=21, 1d20 7=14)[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Great, now we're really screwed... wish I had boosted Finch's Fort with Armor of Faith. Oh well.

I guess Ingot will healing word on Finch, it will be tough to get into range to get Dorn. Dorn may just have to hang on for a couple of rounds, I just don't see how to get there for a Heal check.

Then either try Avenging Flame, or Sacred Flame to give someone a saving throw. (Saving throw would be nice, but with Avenging Flame, at least Ingot can get flanking with Crag, assuming Crag makes his save against blindness, so it may be a good time to use it... even if Ingot gave Jax the extra saving throw, can he even get in a sneak attack this round?)[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Dorn's shroud falls as the dragon lays him low, revealing just how small the young half-orc really is. (Save vs blind fails, vs death succeeds)

// Bummer. At least Dorn gets 5 tmp HP from half-orc resilience - that should count for something, right? :) Dorn has a healing potion on his person if it should prove necessary to get it. Personally, I'm counting on rolling a natural 20 on my next death save.

[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer 3
Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10
AC 18, Fort 12, Reflex 15, Will 17 (base defenses)
HP 0/32 +5 TMP Bloodied 16 Surge Value 8, Surges 7/7
Speed 6, Initiative +8
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wild Soul: Cold (resist 5, ignore 5 enemy resistance)
prone
dying
blind (save ends)

Encounter Resources
Bedeviling Burst
USED Ice Dragon's Teeth
USED Furious Assault
USED Half-Orc Resilience
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Ice Javelins
USED Deep Shroud
USED Deathstalker Dagger
Repulsion Leather Armor

1x potion of healing
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Ryryguy (tactics)] Crag needs to heal himself up, so on his turn, I'm going to have him mark the dragon, use Warforged Resolve, then use Second Wind (he really needs the HP). Because of this, you may want to steer clear of the Dragon, as he may think the -2 to attack vs one of my allies is better than going after Crag's high AC (earth warden adds con mod to AC when they second wind).[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ingot used Shield of Faith on itself for +4 AC, that will be pretty respectable including the -2... and does the dragon know that Crag's AC gets increased when he takes a second wind? I don't think so.

On the other hand, Sacred Flame isn't a terrible choice... it's just that I'd rather try to pour on the damage. Each round the dragon lives is another round where it can recharge those horrible powers.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Fort]
I wouldn't worry too much about Finch's Fort. It's already at 18 so he's only going to be hit 50% of the time.

For his turn I'm thinking that if Crag saves (or Ingot moves into flank) he'll MBA, then AP and MBA again?[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]For Finch? I guess, if MBA's are all he's got left - are his at-wills useless?

For Ingot's turn, I'm basically waiting to see if a) Crag saves and so can flank or b) Dekana has some plan that would make the Sacred Flame option a better choice now. (Ingot would delay to wait for Crag unless Dekana asks for the Sacred Flame immediately.)[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Finch]
He's built as a multi-target attacker. He has encounter/daily powers that really only work well on mltiple foes. His one at will is the same. He has footwork lure, but I don't think Crag wants the dragon pulled away from him[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=ryryguy]If Jax were standing up, he'd be able to get sneak attack this turn with sacred flame, a charge, and some clever positioning. But he's not. Regardless, I'm going to start going on the attack again, blind or not. (Jax keeps failing his save by the way, so a sacred flame would be much appreciated.)

I think Ingot would be best served by moving to R24, attacking with either sacred flame or the daily, and healing Dorn. Dorn has been doing lots more damage than Jax anyway, so he's more of a priority to keep alive.[/sblock]
Jax slams his fist into the mud in anger. He suddenly rises to his feet, turns to face the dragon, and growls at it. "Arrggh, that is it! Let's see how you like it when your eyes are put out!" The kobold once again throws his dagger at the dragon, but even though it is as big as a barn door, he misses. Meanwhile, his eyes are unimproved.

[sblock=actions]Move: Stand up.
Minor: Shifty to T16.
Standard: Ranged basic attack with magic dagger. It's usually a +10 to the roll, but with -5 blind and -2 to range, it's only +3. Obviously, the attack misses.
End of turn: saving throw vs blind fails.[/sblock][sblock=Jax stat block]Jax- Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 17
AC:17, Fort:15, Reflex:18, Will:13 -- Speed:6
HP:22/33, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:7/9
Initiative +5
Action Points: 0, Second Wind

Conditions
Blinded. (save ends)

Powers
Shifty
Clever Strike
Piercing Strike
Sly Lunge