D&D 5E A Star Patron for 5e

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is a first draft, but I feel quite good about it.

Otherwordly Patron: The Stars

There are many stars that can act as patrons for a warlock, but these are the most well known amongst astronomical scholars.​

Acamar: Acamar is a corpse star whose motions and behemoth size send celestial objects that draw too close spiraling to their doom.
Caiphon: This purple star is usually on the horizon. It has the guise of a helpful guide star, but sometimes betrays those who rely upon it.
Delban: An ice-white star often visible only during winter, Delban might surprise the star-gazer with an impromptu flare during any season.
Gibbeth: Better not to write or think overlong on this greenish point in the sky.
Hadar: Hadar is the extinguished cinder of a star lurking within the cloaking nebula of Ihbar.
Ihbar: A dark nebula between stars, Ihbar is slowly expanding and eating the light of neighboring constellations.
Khirad: A piercing blue star, Khirad’s radiance sometimes reveals secrets and gruesome insights.
Nihal: Nihal is a reddish star that writhes around the position it should hold in the heavens.
Ulban: Ulban’s blue-white light disrupts cognition and the ability to recognize danger.
Zhudun: Another corpse star, Zhudun is historically described as shining a baleful light over the Ruined Realm of Cendriane in the Feywild before its fall.
Ghurab: This cobalt star is also known as The Messenger, and is served most often by were-ravens and kenku. Ghurab is believed to be associated with many Winter Fey, and with various psychopomps.

Expanded Spell List

The Stars teach you an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.
Star Patron Expanded Spells

Gaze of Starlight

Starting at 1st level, your patron teaches you the ability to project the true nature of the Stars into their sight. As an action, you can cause 1 creature within 30ft of you to make a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. If the target fails, becomes blinded and cannot take reactions until the end of your next turn.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Step of Caiphon

Starting at 6th level, you can turn into a beam of purple light and teleport up to 40 ft in a straight line to a space you can see, as an action. Any creature who is in a square you pass through or end the movement in must make a Dex saving throw (DC {{savedc:cha}}) or be knock away from the space 5-ft in a direction you choose, takes 2d8 radiant damage, and is blinded until the end of your next turn. If they succeed, they take half damage, must move 5ft in a direction of their own choice. Until the end of your next turn, all creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against you as you burn with the light of a living star. An attack that does not rely on sight, such as from a creature with Blindsight, does not suffer disadvantage.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Cloak of Nihal

Starting at 10th level, the mysterious red star Nihal teaches you to writhe in flames around the spot you occupy. As a bonus action, you activate the Cloak of Nihal. red glow surrounds a 20ft radius centered on you, and you become invisible as light bends around you. This effect lasts for up to 10 minutes, and requires that you maintain concentration as if on a spell. Allies in the area can deal 1d4 fire damage once on their turn as part of making an attack, as long as the effect lasts.
You can end the effect early as part of making an attack, or simply by ending your concentration. When you do, or when you forcibly lose concentration, you can choose to deal 2d8 fire or radiant damage to a creature within 20 ft of you.

Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

Imprison In Starlight

Starting at 14th level, as an action, you can choose a creature that you can see within 60 ft. to make a CHA saving throw (DC {{savedc:cha}}). On failure, it is banished into the presence of the Stars. At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the space it previously occupied, or the nearest unoccupied space. Upon it's return, it takes 5d10 psychic damage and 5d10 radiant damage as it reels from its horrific experience.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

I think that hits all the right buttons for the old Star Pact, and should be really fun to play. Feel free to tell me what you think, but know ahead of time that I do not care about anything along the lines of "the GOO already covers this" or "why do we need a star pact" or whatever.

NotAYakk

Legend
Usually subclasses have a mixture of utility and damage. This is all damage/offence/combat.

A quick look at warlock pacts shows like 1 offensive "damage" or similar feature typically. And mulitple of your features often match or exceed what other pacts get total.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Usually subclasses have a mixture of utility and damage. This is all damage/offence/combat.

A quick look at warlock pacts shows like 1 offensive "damage" or similar feature typically. And mulitple of your features often match or exceed what other pacts get total.
No, it's modeled pretty closely after the other patrons, and absolutely doesn't get more than them. I'm open to feedback, but this feedback is just...flatly incorrect.

At most, I could see saying that I should tone down the damage on one of the damage dealing features, but even that would just be moving it more toward the utility patrons and further from the more combat patrons, which isn't necessary to balance it.

Still, I might do that just to make it more interesting, on a second draft.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
It's certainly balanced enough, but it doesn't feel distinct to me.

The second ability is kind of close to the Fey Warlock's ability, albeit better, and the capstone is Hurl Through Hell, but with different damage.

I like the overall concept, though. I think it's cool, fairly balanced, and interesting enough to be a separate theme of Warlock patron.

Really, I would just try to make its abilities feel a bit more distinct.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I love most of it. But some posters are somewhat right: some features are a no far enought from other archetype's feature, and the level 6 for warlock are usually a little more defensive.

I would remove the 6th level feature and reforge it into a level 14 feature more in line with a psychic/radiant Steel Wind Strike.

Something like:
Form of Caiphon's Tear
Starting at 14th level, you can turn into a comet of purple light and teleport up to 60 ft to a space you can see, as an action. Choose up to five creatures you can see within range. Make a melee spell attack against each target. On a hit, a target takes 3d10 psychic damage and 3d10 radiant damage.

You can then teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 5 feet of one of the targets you hit or missed.

And replace the 6th level feature with the Astral Refuge feature of the UA: Seeker

Astral Refuge
At 6th level, you gain the ability to step into an astral refuge, hidden behing the Star. As an action, you disappear from the world for a brief moment and enter the Astral Plane, taking advantage of its timeless nature. While in your astral refuge, you can take two actions to cast spells that target only you. After using those two actions, you return to the space you occupied and your turn ends.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Really good work

doctorbadwolf

It's certainly balanced enough, but it doesn't feel distinct to me.

The second ability is kind of close to the Fey Warlock's ability, albeit better, and the capstone is Hurl Through Hell, but with different damage.

I like the overall concept, though. I think it's cool, fairly balanced, and interesting enough to be a separate theme of Warlock patron.

Really, I would just try to make its abilities feel a bit more distinct.
It definitely is based strongly on other Patrons.
Imprison In Starlight is exactly as you say. It works for now, but...🤷‍♂️

I love most of it. But some posters are somewhat right: some features are a no far enought from other archetype's feature, and the level 6 for warlock are usually a little more defensive.

I would remove the 6th level feature and reforge it into a level 14 feature more in line with a psychic/radiant Steel Wind Strike.

Something like:
Form of Caiphon's Tear
Starting at 14th level, you can turn into a comet of purple light and teleport up to 60 ft to a space you can see, as an action. Choose up to five creatures you can see within range. Make a melee spell attack against each target. On a hit, a target takes 3d10 psychic damage and 3d10 radiant damage.

You can then teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within 5 feet of one of the targets you hit or missed.

And replace the 6th level feature with the Astral Refuge feature of the UA: Seeker

Astral Refuge
At 6th level, you gain the ability to step into an astral refuge, hidden behing the Star. As an action, you disappear from the world for a brief moment and enter the Astral Plane, taking advantage of its timeless nature. While in your astral refuge, you can take two actions to cast spells that target only you. After using those two actions, you return to the space you occupied and your turn ends.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Really good work
Thank you! I could certainly see dropping some or all of the damage on Caiphon’s Leap, but the image of turning into a beam of light and shooting through the fight, harming enemies in a way that protects the Warlock, is too give to give up, and I specifically feel it’s a 6th level ability.

Remember, not all patrons give defensive abilities at level 6.

But a big teleport that ends with all attacks against you having disadvantage feels perfect for level 6. If it does no damage, I’d probably force saves against blindness instead.
Midgard players handbook has the void domain and void spelks. They're kinda similar to what you want here but the void is more like the far realm.
There may be some spells worth looking at in that, but it definitely isn’t the same thing as the Stars.

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
Give some benefit to each star.
Choose randomly a few stars as good fortune stars. You enjoy the benefits of these stars.
After long lest, change the good fortune stars. Say, roll d6 and move by rolled number in the star list. Now you are blessed with different benefit.

You can give some penalty or restriction for each star as ill fortune, too.
Or major benefit and miner benefit.

Zardnaar

Legend
It definitely is based strongly on other Patrons.
Imprison In Starlight is exactly as you say. It works for now, but...🤷‍♂️

Thank you! I could certainly see dropping some or all of the damage on Caiphon’s Leap, but the image of turning into a beam of light and shooting through the fight, harming enemies in a way that protects the Warlock, is too give to give up, and I specifically feel it’s a 6th level ability.

Remember, not all patrons give defensive abilities at level 6.

But a big teleport that ends with all attacks against you having disadvantage feels perfect for level 6. If it does no damage, I’d probably force saves against blindness instead.

There may be some spells worth looking at in that, but it definitely isn’t the same thing as the Stars.

Starfall (5th level) and starburst cantrip are worth looking at IMHO.

Starfall radiant damage (6d6)and can knock prone+blind. Starburst is a variant searing light.

NotAYakk

Legend
Archfey!

Fey Presence
Charm/fear. 0 damage. Defensive.

Misty Escape
Teleport invis. 0 damage, defensive.

Your equivalent? Beam attack with guaranteed push and possible blind+damage+auto teleport+defensive buff near invis quality.​
Beguiling Defenses
Defensive, flip charm. 0 damage.
Dark Delirium
Charm/fear. 0 damage. Defensive.

Fey: 4 Defensive
Fiend: 3 defensive. Capstone better than yours.
GOO: 3 defensive/utility, one thrall is just strange.
Celestial: 1 offensive, 2 defensive, 1 mixed (death save 14th)
Hexblade: Pact Blade patch, 2 offensive, 1 defensive. None do damage directly.

So yes, yours is a pile of damage.

Blindness is the most defensive ability you got. Greater invis with 10 min durarion 1d4/ally/round damage and 9 damage kicker. 10d10 damage + 1 round eliminate. 9 damage beam attack with push and disadvantage on all attacks and mass blind.

Blind us both an offensive and defensive buff, one of the strongest short of paralyze/incapacitate/stun. Fear/charm is much weaker, and purely defensive (barring zone tricks).

This pact has more direct damage and offensive abilities than all 5 of those pacts.

I don't know where you found comparables, but I don't see them. UA playtest stuff? And yes, I went and checked before I made the earlier claim. Niw I'm documenting.

If you want this to be reasonably balanced, cut some of that offensive power and add utility.

Remove ads