Level Up (A5E) A5E has more rules and mechanics for crafting and repairs - How do you make them a bigger part of your game?

PQuix

Villager
I've been looking at the rules for crafting and repairing in A5E, and they are definitely something I want to make a bigger part of my games without making it too tedious (like having weapon hit points). I have a couple of characters that are proficient in the sort of equipment that would benefit this, and they would enjoy getting to use those.

What are some systems/things that you've implemented in your games to have crafting and repairing play a bigger part?

xiphumor

Legend
I think the biggest thing that helps here is actually a narrative point, which is structuring your game such that characters have downtime in which to craft. Even better, put players in situations where crafting is a strong solution to a problem. Preparing a village to defend against a siege or a raid springs to mind.

noodohs

Explorer
I would just start with the rules on maintenance that are already in the game: Maintenance | Level Up. I think there are also maneuvers that can break things and crits may also have a rule for that. We are about to start a game with a heavy focus on exploration and spending a lot of time out in the wilderness, so that will also make crafting (and maintenance) a pretty important part of the game. If you spend all your time in a city where you can just buy gear or have it repaired at a shop, then yeah, it's going to take a bit of a back seat.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maintenance rolls are entirely under the Narrator's purview and are designed as a narrative element -- in the sense that when the Narrator feels it's appropriate (4 days in the acid swamp!) they ask for a check. They add flavour to an environnment,

Remove ads