• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) A5E has more rules and mechanics for crafting and repairs - How do you make them a bigger part of your game?

PQuix

Villager
I've been looking at the rules for crafting and repairing in A5E, and they are definitely something I want to make a bigger part of my games without making it too tedious (like having weapon hit points). I have a couple of characters that are proficient in the sort of equipment that would benefit this, and they would enjoy getting to use those.

What are some systems/things that you've implemented in your games to have crafting and repairing play a bigger part?

xiphumor

Legend
I think the biggest thing that helps here is actually a narrative point, which is structuring your game such that characters have downtime in which to craft. Even better, put players in situations where crafting is a strong solution to a problem. Preparing a village to defend against a siege or a raid springs to mind.

noodohs

Explorer
I would just start with the rules on maintenance that are already in the game: Maintenance | Level Up. I think there are also maneuvers that can break things and crits may also have a rule for that. We are about to start a game with a heavy focus on exploration and spending a lot of time out in the wilderness, so that will also make crafting (and maintenance) a pretty important part of the game. If you spend all your time in a city where you can just buy gear or have it repaired at a shop, then yeah, it's going to take a bit of a back seat.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maintenance rolls are entirely under the Narrator's purview and are designed as a narrative element -- in the sense that when the Narrator feels it's appropriate (4 days in the acid swamp!) they ask for a check. They add flavour to an environnment,

Remove ads