• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability Score Increases (I've changed my mind.)

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Or perhaps we should just get rid of simplistic idea of good guys vs bad guys? Perhaps we could have nuanced civilisations that have some good features and some bad features?
Nuanced civilizations that have some good features and some bad features was my proposal: Elves as a whole not being racist (regardless of their individual alignments), but creating space for that one racist faction/organization within elven society that is clearly out-of-sync with heroic ideals (like the one that operates in Faerûn).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Nuanced civilizations that have some good features and some bad features was my proposal: Elves as a whole not being racist (regardless of their individual alignments), but creating space for that one racist faction/organization within elven society that is clearly out-of-sync with heroic ideals (like the one that operates in Faerûn).
See, I would think very few cultures of any race would be "in-sync with heroic ideals". Most folks just want to carry on, be personally successful, and see to the safety of people they care about. Heroes are crazy people who risk their lives to do what they think is right. Governments do things because they derive benefit from them. Selflessness (particularly towards strangers) as a cultural trait should be pretty darn rare.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Elves can trace their cultural lineage to the noble classes of fey courts, so a dose of aristocratic worldview isn't wholly without precedent.
In a particular setting, I view the fey courts as governmental parliaments that are magocracies. It is the magical accomplishments that matter, not so much the family line, tho a powerful family can be known for individuals who are great mages.

The elves tend to be "chaotic" individualists.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
You cant have civilizations without setting. This is more support for a new core setting that features these elements.
I sympathize, and honestly, I myself want a break from Forgotten Realms.

Heh, but I dont see how the business investments in Forgotten Realms Intellectual Property, can make it possible for WotC to leave Forgotten Realms behind, so that you can play it without updates, or so that I dont have to deal to with it or its gods.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Selflessness (particularly towards strangers) as a cultural trait should be pretty darn rare.
Cultures can express altruism in different ways. Some might make hospitality to strangers sacred. Some might volunteer time and money. Some might champion a cause. And so on.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
See, I would think very few cultures of any race would be "in-sync with heroic ideals". Most folks just want to carry on, be personally successful, and see to the safety of people they care about. Heroes are crazy people who risk their lives to do what they think is right. Governments do things because they derive benefit from them. Selflessness (particularly towards strangers) as a cultural trait should be pretty darn rare.
In-sync with heroic ideals meaning peoples the player characters are bringing justice to, sacrificing for, and helping to lift up (as opposed to factions/organizations with clearly villainous agendas).

Remove ads