• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AC 56 at level 6! You too can do it!

hanniball

First Post
SlagMortar said:
I don't think Divine Spell Power and Divine Shield are core. Crystal Keep says they are from Complete Divine and Complete Warrior respectively.

You are correct, my bad. Edited.

Nail said:
You sure 'bout that?

While I do seem to have been recalling only the area dispel version, the Targeted dispel option seems to have something of a contradiction:

SRD said:
Targeted Dispel

One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

(Emphasis mine)

Thoughts?

Nail said:
All of which together add up to: Not Easy.

...or, at the very least: Not an effective PC.

Again, what constitutes "easy?" Perhaps with specific parameters I can prove otherwise.

Also, I disagree. IMO, this indeed represents a PC that effectively remains unharmed in melee combat, is still capable of healing/buffing/summoning, can perform this routine multiple times a day (albeit, not to the same extent) and remains an entirely role-playable character.

SlagMortar

First Post
There is no contradiction. You can target the dispel against a specific spell in which case you make a dispel check against the spell, or you can target the dispel against a creature/object in which case you make a dispel check against every spell affecting the creature/object.

This allows you to target just a Dominate spell on your warrior friend without also targeting the various buff spells on her.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
SlagMortar said:
This allows you to target just a Dominate spell on your warrior friend...

... assuming you can see or touch the Dominate spell...

Target or Targets: Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.

-Hyp.

hanniball

First Post
SlagMortar said:
This allows you to target just a Dominate spell on your warrior friend without also targeting the various buff spells on her.

Couldn't the caster willingly fail the caster level check to protect the buff spells?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
hanniball said:
Couldn't the caster willingly fail the caster level check to protect the buff spells?

If he cast them himself, then no; in fact, he doesn't even roll, with a Targeted Dispel:
You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself.

If he's using an Area Dispel, he can choose to roll instead of automatically succeeding:
You may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have cast.

If the buff spells aren't spells he cast himself, he doesn't automatically succeed (or have the option of automatically succeeding)... but neither is there provision in the rules for electing to fail a caster level check.

If he wishes to minimise the chance of dispelling the buffs, he might elect to cast the Dispel Magic at minimum caster level (5 for a wizard or cleric, 6 for a sorcerer)... but that, naturally, minimises the chance of dispelling the Dominate spell at the same time.

-Hyp.

Cabral

First Post
Note the difference between the Targeted and Area Dispel options.

Targeted: "You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself"

Area: "You may choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have cast."

So, I guess, cast detect magic before dispel magic for friends and see invisibility for annoying invisible buffaholics.

Btw, if buffing is a big problem in your games, take a look at reciprical gyre and reaving dispel from Complete Arcane. :]

Infiniti2000

First Post
hanniball said:
What constitutes "easy" in your opinion? Casting a few spells is pretty damn easy for any cleric and, as Deset Gled has shown, any wizard as well. If boosting one's attack bonus through the use of magic is "easy" then so, too, is enhancing one's armor class.
IMO (and make no mistake, 'easy' is quite subjective), 'easy' would not be requiring 10+ sourcebooks for the same build (especially across different campaign settings--that's extremely bad form), spells/effects granted by someone else, using items beyond your expected power level (e.g. a scroll of miracle at 6th level, why not just ask for the miracle of AC 56?), etc.
hanniball said:
(Emphasis mine)

Thoughts?
Yeah, wrong emphasis. When you cast a targeted (greater) dispel magic, you target a creature, not a spell. So, change your emphasis appropriately and the meaning should become clear.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads