• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Academy of Drell, Part II

Tokiwong

First Post
So we wait on the better part of discretion or valor?

"So Yodwin has lied... then what does that matter to me... he placed my life... and those of the students at stake for the sake of his lies..." Keith paused, and regained his composure, "we get to the heart of the matter now... his feelings or standing matter little to our well being..."

Keith glances to the door, "Now lets get to the heart of this..."

Keith strides into Yodwin's room...

I have no sympathy for deceit...

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Sildarin said
Sildarin flushes, once again, as Ellie questions him
"No.. I'm fine... I just... don't... like at... tention..."
"That's ok, I'm sure between all of us here, maybe we can help with that. I must say that was very brave of you, the way you helped Yodwin. Quite noble of you....you know with a little more self confidence you could be quite charming.

"My psicrystal... he's... well... you couldn't... have... a moment... of peace if... he could talk..."
"Oh trust me I know the feeling...Anya can be quite annoying sometimes, but she's a good companion."
That was uncalled for, I'm far too nice to be annoying.

"Well should we check on Yodwin now? We've gotten whatever we need so maybe he can shed some light on this."

Ellie turns back towards Yodwin's room and starts to head over.

perivas

First Post
Arana Perivai

"Maerath, I understand your concern; but we must confront these things. If there really are more of them, we have to find that out for sure. Besides, permitting it ubiquitiously spy on us as we try to discover the truth is probably detrimental to our cause. Your vote will decide the matter, Victor."

Arana stares at the silent Victor, impatiently tapping her foot. It's quite obvious that she's ready for action. Mayhaps she resents being kept in the dark last time.

Lichtenhart

First Post
In a very low voice, Victor answers "She is right, Maerath, we have to confront this things. This is my advice: you should go back at the library to take care of your book and find help for us. Hopefully the guards will already be there. In the meantime we'll follow this creature unnoticed to find out what it's looking for, and deal with it before it can report to his master. If we'll need help, I'll make sure you'll notice."

poilbrun

Explorer
Maerath Iliandil

What should I do? Be brave and follow them to fight this creature, that may well turn out to be THESE creatures or follow what reason dictates and head for the library? No, this book may be the key to what happened, I must put it where it is most safe and try to discover what it contains.

"As you wish, but I still believe it is a bad idea to follow that creature without knowing if it is alone, and without knowing much about it. For all we know, this creature might be stronger than those we saw before, and only one could be deadly to us... or rather to you, since I will follow Victor's advice and go to the library. I wish you good luck, and I thank you for the risks you are willing to take for all of us."

Maerath then starts running towards the library. Once he has arrived, he takes a look around to see how things have progressed since he left. If there's anyone in the main room to hear it, Maerath says: "Victor and Arana have discovered one of these creatures spying on us and have decided to follow it. If anyone's willing to help them, they should not be far now, and I believe it would be safer for them if some strong fighters could go help them."

Maerath then sits and settles the book in front of him. Before opening it and starting to read it, he communicates with Squeekie.

Go see what happens around Yodwin, please. And be sure to report what is going on and what is being said.

Maerath then opens to book and starts reading it.

Zhure

First Post
the group reforms and splits again

Rallyn leads Serbanas to Yodwin's room, followed by Keith, who asks Serbanas about the shadow creatures...

Serbanas: "I've heard legends of an evil sorcerer, who trucks with vile undead and shadowspawn creatures from a distant plane, but they're only legends designed to scare the welps among my folk. Some say he is an immortal, scion of a god, who longs to return to his homeland among the skies.

"I find it odd Yodwin would lie; he's always been very forthright and honorable to me. His desire to have Coles left alone is understandable, considering the headmaster's volatile tempermant."

Taking you three aside, he whispers conspiratorially, "Coles has some peculiarities. For one, I know he refuses to leave his house after nightfall. I believe he has some superstitious fears of the dark."

Sildarin is embarassed by Ellie's questions. They're near Yodwin's door and can easily hear Serbanas's remarks.

Arana, Maerath and Victor, outside under the unlit night sky are having their own confrontation, this time with one of the odd inky colored creatures. After a whispered conversation, they decide to send Maerath back to the library to further check out the properties of the book, while the other two will follow the creature further.

Maerath races at full speed back to the library. He skitters through the open door and sees the rest of the group as they converge on Yodwin's room. She calls them back, tells them about Arana and Victor's circumstances.

Squeekie, at Maerath's bequest, crawls back into Yodwin's room through the ventilation grate over the door and telepathically reports he sees Yodwin sitting on his cot, apparently meditating.

Maerath then begins studying the book in earnest. It's contents are still illegible. They seem to be dwarven runes, but arranged in illogical sequences, forming gibberish sentences and phrases.

Meanwhile, Arana and Victor continue to tail the manta-ray shaped blob of darkness. It swoops about, from window to window, on the few windows around the campus unshuttered to keep out the cold. Occasionally it stops and hovers in a fluttery fashion to "stare" intently at a patch of light here and there, but doesn't seem to notice their presence as they hide below it.

Waiting to see if anyone else joins up before giving more information.

Tokiwong

First Post
Time for answers...

"Yodwin... why were they after your book and how do you know them... no lies... just the turh..." Keith says calmly but with some menace... his hand resting on the pommel of his rapier...

No lies... just the truth.

Keith gives Kith a slight glance and presses the issue with Yodwin... "Now is a good time to come clean..."

Intimidate check is 20 (Rolled 12 and added 8 from skill check)

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
" Excuse me Sildarin, but I believe I could be of some assistance to Keith with Yodwin there."

Ellie moves into Yodwin's room near Keith and Kith.

Watching Keith begin to try and scare Yodwin into cooperating, ellie begins trying a more sympathetic role, to keith's antagonist.

"Now Yodwin, before Keith has to do something rash, perhaps you tell us why that person was after your book and what those creatures were?"

OOC---> I'll try playing the good cop to Keith's bad cop. Diplomacy Roll ---> 31 ( Roll of 13 + 18 skill bonus), Bluff Roll ---> 22 ( 10 + 12 skill bonus )

perivas

First Post
Arana's Plan

"I have a plan. I strongly suspect that the creature is looking for some sort of magical book. In that case, we should just test out the theory directly, rather than allowing it to wander about performing its duty. I'll apply the scientific principle--as in the prior spring semester's Basic Tests of Magic: Cause and Effect. I'll place my spellbook, which should have the correct mix of magical and physical properties, under a tree...such that the creature must distinguishably fly to a low altitude to inspect it. I'll also use my continuous light globe there to attract it, since it somehow seems to care about light. We'll then hide near it. If it behaves as predicted by hovering intently near my book, we'll have proven my theory. In that case, I suggest we destroy to keep it from fulfilling its mission. Otherwise, it'll just move along and I'll retrieve my undisturbed items." A smug expression radiates from Arana's face as she describes her ingenious plan.

She begins to put it into effect [color=sky blue](OOC: unless she receives a strong objection from Victor)[/color].

Arana's hide roll: 13 + 2 dex = 15; Fian's hide roll: 15 + 17 bonuses = 32.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads