• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adapting the Warlock Chassis for other Classes

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I like Fractal Class. So it shall be.
Cool. I really had a long sit-down to think about exactly what the right term should be. Simple, meaningful, avoiding being dry or overly technical, ideally something visually evocative. Spent at least an hour banging my head against stuff until "Fractal" just popped in, sans fanfare, and said, "Oh, were you looking for me?"

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The Warlock is the best 5e chassis.

It has the best assortment of benefits.
• at-will powers
• Short Rest big powers that flavorfully require Rest
• choosable ad-hoc features (Invocations) to customize a character concept
• even full-caster powers comparable to highest spell slots in the game

(It also resembles the 4e AEDU structure for powers.)

I propose that Psion, Warlord, and Swordmage all use the Warlock chassis.

I also propose that ALL casters use Short Rest spell points. Converting Warlock chassis into spell points equates to Level+1 spell points that refresh after each Short Rest. A spell costs its slot. Short Rest spell points are simpler, more balanced, and more flavorful.

The spell point system in the 2014 DMs Guide hurts the eyes and is impracticable.

The 2024 DMs Guide should replace it. Instead use the Short Rest spell point system. It is simple and sweet. Then every DM and player can implement it for their caster, whether Psion or Wizard.

ezo

I cast invisibility
As a half-caster chassis, the warlock is fine, but it falls insanely short of working well for full-casters.

Two spell slots for the tiers most game play in? No, thank you. Getting in a short rest has too much DM fiat into it IMO. Full-casters need access to more slots (or points) they can use at any time. If they exhaust them all before a "long rest", that is on them.

If you want to go to a spell-point system, you aren't really using the warlock chassis anymore.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I really like the Warlock chassis and think a couple other classes using it would work well. I don't think I'd want the entire game moved over to it though, as I appreciate the varied types of available power suites-- the 9 level full caster suite, the 1/2 caster suite, the martial ability suite, etc. As I also don't have the same issues with the short rest / long rest system that others seem to have, I like how those two options also vary up the classes and make them all feel a little different.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As a half-caster chassis, the warlock is fine, but it falls insanely short of working well for full-casters.

Two spell slots for the tiers most game play in? No, thank you. Getting in a short rest has too much DM fiat into it IMO. Full-casters need access to more slots (or points) they can use at any time. If they exhaust them all before a "long rest", that is on them.

If you want to go to a spell-point system, you aren't really using the warlock chassis anymore.
1) For full casters, just give them half-caster progression as their primary subclass benefit, on top of pact magic progression. That would be in exchange for the larger Hit Die, better weapon and armor proficiencies, and at-will damage bonuses martial classes would get. Also give them a class feature to use their "Pact Magic" slots on a feature like Arcane Recovery, if they want more low-level slots. Half-caster + pact magic + mystic arcanum is more than enough spell slots for even a wizard, I think.

2) Short rests shouldn't be DM fiat. I've been using short rests as a 5-minute breather, twice per long rest as a per-character resource for a few years now, and it works great.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The Warlock is defined by a Patron and a Pact, which set the tone of the class fantasy. Mechanically, the Patron defines the broad nature of the class and the Pact narrows it down.
Might it be productive to see these as two independent dials, rather than just narrowing a single dial? For me:

Pact determines they way you are approaching a problem. Specifically, in combat, but it need not be that. Your pact choice will govern the sorts of things you want to be able to do day in-day-out.

Patron determines the flavour of how you approach a problem. It shapes the story you want to tell, and they way you are going to describe and imagine things happening.

Both of those are crucial to the chassis, and (for me) are what makes the Warlord design work well. The same patron but different pacts will play differently, but can share lore. That, for me, is what I would want to transfer for class design.

The Warlock then gives you additional tricks, again operating with two dials -- a limited number of spells and quite a high number of feats/invocations, that allow for further customization and importantly) shared abilities despite how players set those first two dials.

Last edited:

I think you could do a good version of the game based on this idea; every class gets an archetype (patron; a more specific variation of the classes theme/fantasy), a style (pact; a key feature to define the mechanical expression intended) and class feats (invocations; a series of additional choices to help customize your specific character.)

If we're going this route, though, I would add an additional element: universal resources.

In the heroic tier (3-10) you get a resource that can be used a couple times and recharges on a short rest; pact slots and superiority dice and qi and so on all need a single universal name (stamina? energy?) and that one source fuels all classes. This helps with multiclassing not being overkill and allows shifts to be cross-class: a game with fewer bigger fights might have 3 per rest but only ever offer long rests, or some such.

In the paragon tier, (11-16) you get a new daily resource that can be spent on much bigger, more impactful powers - paragon maneuvers and superior qi effects and High Magic. You only get a few but they have big impact.

In the epic tier (17-20) you get one weekly-or-less epic power - wish and divine intervention are the pattern here. It should probably also have a ribbon-y limit like a lifetime casting limit or major narrative implications, so characters will at least act like choosing to use it is a big decision in any circumstance. But it should also have the potential to make huge changes in the entire setting.

Obviously this will be tricky to implement for some classes (what does a fighter's Epic Surge look like?) but there's a cool thing waiting to happen here.

For extra 4e shenanigans: have the paragon tier progressions operate like new subclasses: not all warlocks get Mystic Arcanum, some get Otherworldly Guise, some get Eldritch Transformation, etc. Epic tier options can be class-independent: are you going to become a mighty king, a god's chosen agent, or a mythic hero people still tell their kids about 1000 years from now?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think you could do a good version of the game based on this idea; every class gets an archetype (patron; a more specific variation of the classes theme/fantasy), a style (pact; a key feature to define the mechanical expression intended) and class feats (invocations; a series of additional choices to help customize your specific character.)
The nice thing about this approach is that the class feats/invocations need not be class-specific. Like, sure, they could be, but they don't need to be, and if someone wants to get a lockpicking knack or a raise dead knack even if they aren't a burglar or necromancer, that's cool. Invocations have a power budget independent of the "chassis" (as we're calling it). There can be preferred invocations, and advantageous ones, but it would be a great way to get a buffed familiar if you are a fighter, say).

(I've been playing MtG with my son, and I am really struck at how effectively they are able to balance things. They've done it for 20-plus years with thousands of cards; we should be able to do it with dozens or scores of feats, surely.)

Quickleaf

Legend
So this is the portion of my fighter rewrite that's inspired by warlock invocations @Reynard , but my interest was on non-combat stuff... still very much playtesting this... and you'll notice some homebrew rules references (e.g. item slot encumbrance, Endurance skill, etc)...

2nd: Heroic Deeds
Starting at 2nd level, you gain a heroic deed, reflecting your adventures. You gain additional heroic deeds at levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, and 18. Each heroic deed may only be selected once, unless otherwise noted. Choose from:

Boon Companion
Burden Bearer
Campaigning
Cohort
Commanding Presence
Common Touch
Destiny
Dragon Slayer
Friend of the [Race]
Hero of the Games
Heroic Endurance
Hidden Backstory
Improvised Tool
Martial Mentor
Master Smith
Merrymaker
Mount Care
Rejected by Death
Remarkable Athlete
Signature Item
Strength of Ten Men
Trophy
Woodcutter
Wound Binding

Boon Companion
You’ve grown especially close to one of your traveling companions. This grants both of you several benefits:
  • You always have a sense of your companion’s state, both emotionally and in terms of health.
  • You can use the Help action while within 30 feet to grant your boon companion a saving throw against an effect that allows ongoing saves to resist it.
  • When you roll initiative, you and your companion may swap initiatives if you both wish.
  • When either of you casts a spell or uses a class feature that would benefit only themself, it also benefits the other if they are within 30 feet.
Special: This deed may be selected multiple times.

Burden Bearer
You can carry the burdens that weigh heavy on weaker shoulders. Double the maximum weight you can pull/push/lift, and increase your Equipped Item Slots by 1 and Packed Item Slots by 2.

Campaigning
You’ve learned to appraise military units, encampments, and fortifications. This requires anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour of observation or interaction, as determined by your DM. Choose to learn a number of the following equal to your proficiency bonus:
  • Name of the unit and its history.
  • Name of the commanding officer and his or her reputation.
  • Number of soldiers and siege equipment.
  • Morale of the unit or camp.
  • Overall weather and terrain readiness.
  • Presence of elite fighting forces.
  • Status of any supply lines/caravans.

Cohort
You’ve gained the services of a loyal cohort. Your cohort uses the Sidekick rules. When helping you don or doff armor, the time is halved. They can also use their own action to equip you with a shield.

Commanding Presence
You’ve led forces into mass combat. Creatures under your command gain advantage on morale checks, and if they’re called to make a saving throw against fear they can use your save instead of their own.

Common Touch
Everyday folk find it easy to relate to you, and their default reaction to you is Friendly unless they have a compelling reason to feel otherwise.

Destiny
You are destined to leave a lasting mark on the world, and though divinations confirm this, the exact nature of your future is always unclear. Among those who know of your destiny, your Charisma checks to convince them you are the hero they’ve been hoping for have advantage. Choose one of the following destinies, or create your own with your DM:
  • Chosen One – You are destined to be imbued with power by a deity or otherworldly entity.
  • Kingslayer – You are destined to slay a tyrant.
  • Once and Future Sovereign – You are destined to claim a throne that is conquered, vacant, or forgotten.
  • Tragic Hero – You are destined to suffer a terrible setback due to your flaw, but rise to victory after.
  • The Seeker – You are destined to discover a mythical creature, land, or magic weapon.

Dragon Slayer
Prerequisite:
Must have slain a dragon
You’re known for slaying a dragon, and have learned much of dragonkind since then. You have advantage on Intelligence checks to recall lore about dragons. When you roll a critical hit against a dragon, you can make a “called shot” such as a wing attack (force it to land), gullet stab (expend its breath weapon), or dazzling blow (reduce its Legendary Actions by 1 for one round).

Friend of the [race]
Choose a race of creatures besides humans – such as elves or stone giants – who you befriended or performed a great service for. Gain advantage on your Charisma checks when interacting with members of that race. If the GM is uncertain how a NPC of that race would respond to you, their default attitude is Friendly. Additionally, you learn their language.
Special: This deed may be selected multiple times.

Hero of the Games
When engaging in a prizefight or an athletic game like jousting or charioteering, you have advantage on your ability checks.

Heroic Endurance
Prerequisite:
Proficiency in Endurance
You were pushed to the limits of mortal endurance and you persevered. Once per day after a short rest you may reduce your exhaustion level by your Constitution modifier. Additionally, you suffer no penalty from sleeping in light or medium armor.

Hidden Backstory
Choose a second Background. This might reflect a storied life, deep cover, dying and being resurrected, recovering from amnesia, or burying these skills due to some tragedy or personal vow.

Improvised Tool
A story is told of how, in the hour of need, you used a weapon as an improvised tool. Apply your proficiency bonus to any ability checks made with a weapon, such as hewing a door with an axe, performing a scimitar dance, or spear-hunting fish.

Martial Mentor
You helped villagers defend themselves. During a short or long rest, you can introduce the basics of handling a specific martial weapon, a specific suit of armor, or shields to one companion. That companion gains proficiency in the corresponding weapon, armor, or shield until their next short or long rest.

Master Smith
Gain proficiency in Craft (smith’s tools), or expertise if you’re already proficient. During downtime, halve the amount of time it takes you to craft arms and armor, whether they are magical or nonmagical. When inspecting arms and armor you recognize the culture it came from, and potentially the name of the smith. Additionally, when making an Intelligence check to recall lore about magical weapons or armor, and when attuning to such items, you gain advantage.

Merrymaker
The joy you spread at feast halls and taverns is sung about by bards. Gain advantage on any checks involving feasting and drinking. When carousing during downtime add your Fighter level.

Mount Care
Prerequisite:
Proficiency in Animal Handling
During a short rest, you can care for up to 8 mounts, allowing the mounts to spend Hit Dice to heal during a short rest. They regain extra hit points equal to your proficiency modifier for every hit die spent.
When used during a long rest you can procure mounts for yourself and up to 7 companions.

Rejected by Death
Prerequisite:
Must have been raised from the dead
You have advantage on your death saving throws, and when you would die you may challenge Death to a game of wits with your soul in the balance.

Remarkable Athlete
Prerequisite:
Proficiency in Athletics
You gain a climbing and swimming speed equal to your walking speed, and your jumping distance is doubled.

Signature Item
You are known for a specific item, such as a sword, a signet, a helmet, or shield. This item becomes imbued with magic through your heroism over the course of your adventures. While you have 1-4 Fighter levels, the item is magical and gains a minor magical property (DMG 143) or sentience. While you have 5-10 Fighter levels, it also grants a +1 bonus to AC, +1 attack and damage, or another minor magical property. While you have 11-16 Fighter levels, this bonus increases to +2 or gain a +1 bonus to another of these categories. While you have 17-20 Fighter levels, this bonus increases to +3 or gain a +1 bonus to another of these categories.

Strength of Ten Men
You have an indomitable spirit and will to fight on. Against spells and effects that target a certain number of hit points (e.g. sleep, color spray), or have an effect against creatures with a certain number of hit points or fewer (e.g. divine word, power word kill), treat your current hit points as ten times their actual amount. Spells and effects that would outright kill you at 0 hit points leave you dying instead (e.g. Life Drain).

Trophy
You’ve acquired a knack for taking trophies from monstrous foes. When not engaged in combat, you can make a Charisma (Intimidation) check against creatures of a type similar to a trophy you’ve claimed to frighten them. A creature against whom your check succeeds becomes frightened. This lasts for one minute (or as long as your DM determines).
A trophy must be equipped (it takes up 1 slot) in order to be used in this way.

Weapons Collector
You’ve collected an array of weapons from defeated foes, and train to wield them. When you undertake training during a week of downtime, you may learn how to use a new weapon.

Woodcutter
Prerequisite:
Proficiency in Survival
Wood wise and handy with an axe, you are skilled in identifying types of wood and felling trees. Wooden creatures (plants, constructs, casters benefiting from barkskin) suffer vulnerability to damage from your axe attacks. Likewise, when using an axe to chop down a wooden door or barricade, you deal double damage. When you wield a Handaxe it gains the Vex property. When you wield a Greataxe, it gains the Cleave property.

Wound Binding
During a short rest, you can expend one use of a healer’s kit to expertly bind your wounds or the wounds of a willing creature. You or that creature gains advantage on any Hit Dice spent to heal at the end of the short rest.

Remove ads