• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Into the King's Forest (Judge: THB)

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Wow, with his AC so high, I am actually semi-tempted to pop my daily and target the owlbear AND Unit 16, since I'd need a nat 20 to hit him, I probably won't, since that's cheeseballing the rules and she'd never willingly shoot an ally, but the thought was there. While it won't be for a long time yet, I can't wait till level up so I can retrain Split the Tree into Sureshot from MP2. 3d12+10 with rerolls to hit and damage, <Yes, Please>.

Either way, nice recovery evilbob, Ryda might not have to give Unit 16 an "I told you so" [/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Autobots - roll out!

Awesome stuff. Sadly Mezegis is right, the extra 1d6 from Healing Spirit can't be granted to the primary target. I probably should have had Bonds of the Clan ready on the first turn so that the Owlbear's initial damage spike would have been spread and I could have made full use of my multi-target healing. Never mind!

Knockback on the Owlbear is np, like you said, breaking the grab is the most important thing. Plus, anything getting that horrible owl-thing further away from my squishy squishy shaman is alright with me. :uhoh:[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Heh, he tried to tell her that he's at his best when surrounded. :) He can't keep this level of AC up forever, but generally he can boost his AC every round. Also: not that you would, but 16 doesn't care or mind if you shoot him - he understands superior tactics trump personal injury and he'd never be offended. In fact, he'd make the same trade every time. Beating the enemy is more tactically important because you can always heal later - at least, that's what he's been trained. (And having an endless font of healing surges biases him in that regard.) (Again, not that you would, but in any case I don't think you can attack an ally to trigger the power: it's the "bag of rats" rule.)

I tried to immobilize the thing. That would have been great; he would have pushed it away and kept his AP and not used his 2nd wind in that case. But, with it free to move, he needed the extra HP. (I think that would have worked...)

Character sidebar: it occurred to me that since warforged never sleep, the only time they go unconscious is when they are dropped. That has got to be terrifying; the only time you ever go out is in a battle situation, and stuff is almost always going to be different when you wake up. Plus, the way warforged work, they basically can't die if someone just leaves them alone - so it's possible that they would go out and then wake up when the battle is over. How horribly lonely is that!

Plus, I think 16's a little extra paranoid about blacking out, but that's specific to him...[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Oh I watched the hell outta some transformers when I was little. :)

Actually, the bonds thing made no difference to my first turn, at least: since I didn't go prone when I dropped, healing after the hit or reducing damage came out the same. Honestly it probably worked out better that you saved it!

As for being squishy: I have counted and counted, and I am pretty sure that as long as the owlbear only has a move of 7, it can't move and attack you this round - assuming it can't move through the tree. And if I'm wrong and it does somehow attack you, at least I'll pull it one square toward me as a reaction, as well as slow it and prevent it from shifting - so hopefully that'll stop it from at least getting two hits in or grabbing you.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Ryda sees Unit 16 go down in a barrage of attacks and gulps down a bit of bile she hadn't realized rose into her throat. She then unleashes a stream of arrows from her bow, some striking true, and others way off the mark. She then runs over near Jarren and ducks behind some cover, hoping it will slow down the beast long enough for another round of shooting before it tries to find out what she taste's like.

Two of the arrows pierce the toughened hide of the beast, but the other two graze off of it.

Jarren bares his teeth in a silent snarl as the sickening sound of rending metal reaches him from the Owlbear's onslaught on Susan. Surging with adrenaline, Jarren breaks cover to take up a supporting position behind his beleaguered Warforged ally, whilst his serpent companion blinks out of existence momentarily and reappears in front of the Owlbear.

Jarren's eyes glaze over as he begins murmuring, chanting softly, and the feathered serpent takes on a golden radiance as he uses it as a conduit for spiritual energies of renewal and regeneration. A scent of warm, moist earth fills the air and, through the encroaching darkness, Susan can feel a warm and comforting presence lending him strength.

The guttural chant grows louder, and Jarren throws his arms out and his head back as he calls upon the intervention of more powerful spirits. Suddenly he is drenched with water, and the clearing is filled with a thundering roar as of a great wave crashing over them, sweeping all impurities before it. The primal torrent rages and crashes over the Owlbear, buffeting it furiously. As the spirits recede they leave a lingering presence with his allies, a surging tide of tangible, buoying energy.

Unit 16 wakes with a start and panics for a moment. Looking around, he realizes he was only out for a few seconds. Seeing that his companions are ok and that he is the only one currently being hugged tightly by the owlbear, he relaxes. "Impressive..." he manages to squeak out. "I see you, too... will not go down without a fight." And for the first time, a slight smile creeps across Unit 16's face. "But now we have you... exactly where we want you... and you will face only me!"

Suddenly, some of the metal panels open on Unit 16's back and legs, and strange whirring sounds emanate from his body. The heat is rapidly pulled from the air around him, and a thick layer of hard, crystalline ice forms all over his body and shield. Additionally, tiny stalagmites of sharp ice begin to form on the ground all around him, along with a layer of snow. His hammer also transforms slightly, increasing in size and forming spikes along its edge.

Unit 16 shouts and raises his hammer above his head, and it is suddenly encased in ice. He swings it in a wide arc toward his foe.... And misses.

Perturbed but undaunted, 16 thrusts his shield forward and a blast of cold air issues forth, knocking the creature back slightly and breaking its hold on 16.

Finally, Unit 16 screams and panels open all over his body: metal bracings jut out and angle themselves to deflect incoming blows; pieces of his shield disengage and expand to cover a huge area; his form increases slightly in size and his feet widen and expand to lower his center of gravity - he is now less of a humanoid and more of a giant ice beast composed of metal and armor. Strained whirring noises sound from inside his body, and for the first time the raging blue glow of the mark on his shield arm is clearly visible. Additionally, a regenerative process begins and the gashes on his neck rapidly begin to weave themselves back together, flesh connecting with metal and wood, closing up his wounds and stopping the blood from escaping.

"Hit me now, creature!" Unit 16 screams at the beast.
As the owlbear looks at you angrily, its head tilting nearly 90 degrees at you as it studies the situation, a flurry of activity is seen from the north. A trio of bird-like humanoids emerge from behind the trees scattered there.

"Get'im they got some shiny lookin' gear. It'll bring in a fortune!" the middle one calls out as it takes to the air, hovering 20' off the ground. It points a rod at Unit 16 and a flock of spectral crows appears and assaults the warforged causing some minor wounds. The other two move towards you, giving the large creature a wide berth, they carry daggers.

[sblock=ooc]
Kenku 12 - uses Murder of Crows on U16 vs ref; force dmg (1d20 10=25, 1d6 4=5) 5 dmg and you grant CA to it (save ends0). The other 2 double move[/sblock]

The owlbear shrieks again and steps forward, and slashes twice at the warforged, but this time neither strike affects him.

[sblock=ooc]
vs ac; dmg (1d20 12=27, 2d6 5=12, 1d20 12=13, 2d6 5=16) It can't know that you're nearly unhittable ;)[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Monster Stats]
Owlbear - Ref is higher than 16, AC is lower than 24, but higher than 20, Fort is higher than 19 - used AP
Others - ???
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]

Initiative:
26 - Enemies
12 - Ryda
5 - Jarren
17 - Unit 16 (new initiative from readied action) - 33/57 - regen 2 when bloodied, +2 AC, Resist 5 cold, zone 2 of DT around Unit 16, +4 weapon damage + a million AC, etc from second wind... grant CA to Kenku 12 (save ends0)

init (Unit 16, Jarren, Ryda, enemies) (1d20 3=17, 1d20 4=5, 1d20 7=12, 1d20 6=26)[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
*cough* trap *cough* ;)

[sblock=ooc]It's funny: when you put all the posts together like that, it suddenly occurs to me that 16 is the only one talking to the creature. :)

So, I take it the bird guys are not actually with the owlbear, but just sort of using it as a tank? Is that what it looks like to us?

Also, on the map anyone with a red outline is bloodied - is that right?[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=r1]Also, if they only did 5 damage then that should have just knocked my temp HP to 0 and I would have taken no actual damage, correct? I was just wondering since you have a red line around me on the map.[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Looks like he did just drain your THP, since you had 33+5, and now only have 33. I'm guessing that means the red outline does not mean bloodied.

Tactics question, stay on the owlbear right, deal with it first then play tag with it's friends? If we have more forced movement powers to get the owlbear and that kenku94 close together, I'll split the tree. One of them would need to be in row 18, doesn't matter which.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=tactics]Oh yeah. We gotta get this giant killing machine down first. Oh, and I think this goes without saying, but 16 isn't the best at range. :)

Antithetist, if you throw down that +3 to hit spirit-flanking encounter thingy I will drop my big single-target encounter power on the guy (altho our effects will overlap). I dunno, you may have a better idea; just a suggestion.[/sblock]
[sblock=r1]Every DM seems to interpret this differently, so I will ask how you rule: if prone, can you take OAs?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Antithetist

First Post
[sblock=tactics]Looks like a sound plan to me. Priority is definitely to kill the Owlbear before it pulls anyone's head off, mopping up Kenku can come afterwards. Here goes.[/sblock]

"Most carrion birds wait until their prey is dead," Jarren growls as the Kenku make their appearance. He steps backwards towards Ryda's position, putting a little more distance between him and the avian newcomers. "Seems these ones aren't as smart as their smaller cousins."

His spirit companion blinks again, appearing directly behind the Owlbear this time. As it strikes its form shifts into that of a huge constrictor snake, its jaws distending to terrifying proportions as it attempts to clamp down on the huge beast and hold it in place for a telling attack from Unit 16. The Owlbear simply twists aside, easily frustrating the snake's attempts to grapple it.

With a hiss of frustration the serpent blinks back to Unit 16's side once more, resuming its normal slender shape.

[sblock=OOC]Move Action - 4 squares south, to Z14.

Free Action - Call Spirit Companion, O14.

Standard Action - Capturing Jaws on the Owlbear.
Attack:1d20+9=10 vs Ref

Crap. This is what I get for wasting all CoCo's love on skill checks. :(

Free Action - Call Spirit Companion back to R13, so it can give Unit 16 +1 on Fort/Ref/Will again and potentially target him for healing from Spirit Shield.

Immediate Actions: As before. Spirit Shield if I get the chance. Bonds of the Clan if the Owlbear hits someone.

I made a mistake with the Bear Spirit Armor power, turns out the triggering ally has to be within 5 squares, so Ryda can't trigger it at the moment, only Unit 16 can - which is no good, because Unit 16 goes before the Owlbear (from Jarren's initiative perspective), so I'll still be saving my Immediate reaction in case I need Bonds.[/sblock]

[sblock=Jarren quick stats]
Jarren Star Gazer Male Shifter Shaman 4
Medium natural humanoid
Initiative +4; Senses Passive Insight 22, Passive Perception 24, Low-light vision

HP 43/43 Bloodied 21, Surge Value 10, Surges 10
AC 17; Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 19
Saving Throws +0
Speed 6

Action Points: 1

Encounter Powers: Healing Spirit x2 x1
Capturing Jaws
Certain Threat
Speak With Spirits
Bonds of the Clan
Razorclaw Shifting
Second Wind