• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Into the King's Forest (Judge: THB)

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Red means marked, so you and the owlbear share the same token, you have marked him. Sorry, I'm used to that from my games. You can take OA's while prone, just subject to the regular penalties while attacking from prone.[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
Ryda's smile over Jarren reviving Unit 16 is quickly reversed as the 3 kenku make there appearance. So it seems Susan was right about the owlbear being bait. Perhaps we'll swap I told you so's. She thinks as she focuses in on the Owlbear, knowing that once it is down, the others should be easy prey. She lets two more arrows fly, the first puncturing the other lung, and the second darting through the legs as it rears up. Sheesh, think I would have learned from the first time I did that. She thinks to herself as she hops back a few paces in to some shrubs.

[sblock=Mechanics]Standard: Twin Strike on Owlbear: 1d20+11=31 1d12+5=12 1d20+11=14 1d12+5=6 CRIT#2! Bonus damage and quarry: 2d6=10 1d6=1 for 28 damage total
Move back one square to AA15

Predator's Hide kicks in again, +1 to all defenses on attacks from the Owlbear
Yield ground if the Owlbear attacks her.[/sblock]

[sblock=Ryda's stats]Ryda – Half Orc Ranger 4
Passive Perception 19, Passive Insight 14
AC 21, Fort 16, Reflex 19, Will 15
HP 46/46, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 8/8
Speed 6, Initiative +7
Action Points: 0, Second wind
At-Will Powers: Twin Strike, Nimble Strike
Encounter Powers: Evasive Strike, Cut and Run, Yield Ground, Furious Assault
Daily Powers: Split the Tree
Racial Features: HalfOrc Resilience, Swift Charge, Furious Assault
Class Features: Hunter’s Quarry, Prime Shot, Fighting Style- Two Weapon
[/sblock]

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
The strained whirring finally dies, and the panels on Unit 16's body and shield orderly retract back to their original position. Although still covered in ice, he is finally recognizable again. Shaking slightly to get rid of the murder of distracting crows, they continue to peck at his body.

[sblock=ooc]Start of turn: second wind's effects end
Font of Life: save vs. CA fails (4)[/sblock]
Noticing the bird creatures fly in, Unit 16 muses, "An ambush perhaps?" Turning back to the owlbear, he says, "But still you shall see only me."

A small panel on Unit 16's armor flips around, revealing a tiny potion. 16 crushes the vial with the back of his hammer, the liquid draining down and into his body.

"Now I believe it best we put you down!" Unit 16 says as he swings his weapon high above his head and it comes crashing down onto... the ground, nearly smashing Unit 16's foot in the process.

Frustrated, Unit 16 takes a moment and allows the wave of positive energy bestowed by the shaman to absorb into his body.

He barely swats at the crows a second time as they ignore his effort and continue to taunt him.

[sblock=ooc]Free: Nature's Wrath on owlbear: owlbear takes -3 to all attacks that do not include Unit 16

Free: draw a potion of clarity (armor property)

Minor: use potion of clarity, daily item power expended

Standard: Earthgrasp Strike on owlbear; horrible miss! (14 vs AC)

potion of clarity: re-roll Earthgrasp Strike; roll a natural 1! (11 vs. AC)

Wow. Just... wow.

Move: -> Minor: pop Spirit of the Healing Flood to regain 10 HP

End of turn save vs. CA: fails (2) Somehow I wasn't surprised.

So to recap, I rolled a 4, 4, 1, and 2. (This is in addition to the 5 last round.) Sometimes you just can't win for losing.

Reactions: same, except vs. the birdmen; I want to pull them toward me if Grasp is triggered[/sblock]
[sblock=Unit 16]
Unit 16 Warforged Warden 4
Initiative: +3, Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12, Senses: Normal
AC:24, Fort:19, Reflex:15, Will:15
HP:43/57 + 0 THP, Bloodied:28, Surge Value:14, Surges left:10/13
Action Points/Daily Item Uses/Milestones: 0/0/0
Powers:
Font of Life
Nature's Wrath
Warden's Fury / Warden's Grasp
Weight of Earth
Earth Shield Strike

Warforged Resolve
Roots of Stone
Earthgrasp Strike
Warden's Tempest
Second Wind

Form of Winter's Herald - Form of Winter's Herald Attack
Potion of Clarity

Important Stuff:
- makes lots of immediate interrupts/reactions/OAs

Conditions: resist 5 cold

Full sheet: Unit 16[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]YAY! Hooray for the striker! :) Man I was worried we'd do nothing to that thing all round...

Suggestion for r1: in our home games we use blue for marked and red for bloodied. Would you be interested in doing that?[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=Antithetist]Man, that "call spirit companion as a free action" feat is probably one of the best class-specific feats I've seen!

Also: I was wondering about your armor daily. I don't think Ryda will trigger it as she is > 5 squares from your spirit. Is that right, or am I interpreting something incorrectly?[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]No, you are right evilbob, and Anti caught that in his last post at the bottom of 8. I'm hoping the owlbear is bloodied, cuz otherwise it has a lot of HP's to burn through since we just went over 100 delt. Apparently it was a good thing Ryda didn't split the tree onto Unit 16, or we'd be scraping him up off the rocks.[/sblock]

Antithetist

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Yeah, Sudden Call is more or less a mandatory feat on Shamans now I think. So many nifty uses!

I realised the same thing as you did about the Bear Spirit Armor; check my last post, I edited before you posted. :p[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Ryda's smile over Jarren reviving Unit 16 is quickly reversed as the 3 kenku make there appearance. So it seems Susan was right about the owlbear being bait. Perhaps we'll swap I told you so's. She thinks as she focuses in on the Owlbear, knowing that once it is down, the others should be easy prey. She lets two more arrows fly, the first puncturing the other lung, and the second darting through the legs as it rears up. Sheesh, think I would have learned from the first time I did that. She thinks to herself as she hops back a few paces in to some shrubs.

As the arrow strikes deep, the owlbear lets out a shriek that nearly left Unit 16's sensory receptacles overwhelmed and the warforged stunned.

[sblock=ooc]
Jarren's attack trigger's owlbear's bloodied special power - Stunning Shriek - vs fort (1d20 10=19) hits 16 and he's stunned (save ends)[/sblock]

"Most carrion birds wait until their prey is dead," Jarren growls as the Kenku make their appearance. He steps backwards towards Ryda's position, putting a little more distance between him and the avian newcomers. "Seems these ones aren't as smart as their smaller cousins."

His spirit companion blinks again, appearing directly behind the Owlbear this time. As it strikes its form shifts into that of a huge constrictor snake, its jaws distending to terrifying proportions as it attempts to clamp down on the huge beast and hold it in place for a telling attack from Unit 16. The Owlbear simply twists aside, easily frustrating the snake's attempts to grapple it.

With a hiss of frustration the serpent blinks back to Unit 16's side once more, resuming its normal slender shape.

The strained whirring finally dies, and the panels on Unit 16's body and shield orderly retract back to their original position. Although still covered in ice, he is finally recognizable again. Shaking slightly to get rid of the murder of distracting crows, they continue to peck at his body.

[sblock=ooc]Start of turn: second wind's effects end
Font of Life: save vs. CA fails (4)[/sblock]
Noticing the bird creatures fly in, Unit 16 muses, "An ambush perhaps?" Turning back to the owlbear, he says, "But still you shall see only me."

A small panel on Unit 16's armor flips around, revealing a tiny potion. 16 crushes the vial with the back of his hammer, the liquid draining down and into his body.

"Now I believe it best we put you down!" Unit 16 says as he swings his weapon high above his head and it comes crashing down onto... the ground, nearly smashing Unit 16's foot in the process.

Frustrated, Unit 16 takes a moment and allows the wave of positive energy bestowed by the shaman to absorb into his body.

He barely swats at the crows a second time as they ignore his effort and continue to taunt him.

[sblock=OOC]
bob, if you want to have used Font of Life against stun it wouldn't have made a difference. Feel free to roll the normal save at end of your turn against it though. So, that turn never happened, you didn't use the potion, nor used the 10hp power, so you're still at 33hp. [/sblock]

The kenku circle around and they both flap their way towards the shifter, the closest one not engaged with the owlbear. With chirps and laughs they slash and stab Jarren, both stabs from them are very potent, the shaman won't survive another couple of attacks like that.

The hovering one flies closer to the south, continuing to stay 20' in the air. This time the kenku turns its attentions to the one his allies are swarming, but Jarren dodges the spectral crows.

[sblock=ooc]
Kenku's 94 and 61 move towards Jarren, 94 charges without CA. Crits!
vs ac; dmg (1d20 9=29, 1d4 6=8) for 10 damage
Z61 charges with flank - Crits also??? Wow two rolls in sequence each crit!
vs ac; dmg (1d20 9=29, 1d4 6=10) This one is for 16 though. Forgot the +1d6 with CA.

Kenku 12 - uses Murder of Crows on Jarren vs ref; force (1d20 10=13, 1d6 4=9) .
[/sblock]

The owlbear continues it's battering of Unit 16, one claw scraping loudly along the warforged's metal frame, an ear-piercing sound of claws on metal fills the air.

[sblock=ooc]
vs ac; dmg (with CA) (1d20 14=31, 2d6 5=12, 1d20 14=18, 2d6 5=10) 1 hit regardless of CA for 12[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Monster Stats]
Owlbear - Ref is higher than 16, AC is lower than 24, but higher than 20, Fort is higher than 19 - used AP, bloodied
Others - ???
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]

Initiative:
26 - Enemies
12 - Ryda
5 - Jarren - 17/43 - bloodied
17 - Unit 16 (new initiative from readied action) - 31/57 - regen 2 when bloodied, +2 AC, Resist 5 cold, zone 2 of DT around Unit 16, +4 weapon damage, grant CA to Kenku 12 (save ends)

init (Unit 16, Jarren, Ryda, enemies) (1d20 3=17, 1d20 4=5, 1d20 7=12, 1d20 6=26)[/sblock]`

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads