[Adventure]: Shards of Eldanarth (DM: MadAzolin, Judge: ??)

jbear

First Post
Kane chuckles at Vermitrax' bad luck. He certainly could relate to that.

[sblock=Kane Arcane]
PC:Kane Arcane (jbear1979) - L4W Wiki
Human Hybrid Swordmage | Wizard 8
Passive Perception/Insight 16
AC:26, Fort:21, Reflex:22, Will:21, Speed:6
HP: (+0 THP) 65/65, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:16, Surges left:11/11
Initiative +4
Action Points: 1 (encounter):

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Frostbrand Longsword +2, +11 vs AC, 1d8+4 damage
Cantrips,
Freezing Burst, Phantasmal Assault, Sword Burst

Glorious Presence:
Aegis of Shielding:
Channelling Shield:
Dimensional Vortex:
Charm of the Defender:
Frostbrand Longsword (Freezing Blast):
Frostbrand Longsword (Extinguish Fires):
Evil Eye of the Vistani:
Boots of the Fencing Master:
Viper Belt:
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere:
Swordmage's Shielding Fire:
Fire Shield:
Dislocation Longsword:
Amulet of Psychic Interference:
Power Jewel:
Raven Cloak:

Combat notes:
Resistances: 7 Fire; 5 Necrotic, Cold, Poison
Boots of the Fencing Master: +1 item bonus to AC & REF TENT when Kane shifts.
White Lotus Riposte: When an enemy Kane has hit with an At Will Power attacks him on his next turn, they take 4 dmg (type is equal to the damage type dealt by at will power)
Gauntlets of Arcane Might: Kane gains 2 THP when he hits an enemy he marks with an Arcane power
Shimmering Cloth Armor: Kane's ranged and area attacks do not provoke OAtks
War Wizard's Expertise: Kane's arcane attacks vs allies take a -5 penalty to hit.

Jade, Feybeast HP (+0 THP) 32/32; AC 21 F/R/W 23/19/23
Perception +9
MBA: Claw: +13 vs AC; 1d12+4 dmg
Aura +2 dmg to all allies vs enemies in Fey Beast Aura; Kane gains CAdv vs enemies in aura
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=Voda Vosa]
[MENTION=51271]Voda Vosa[/MENTION]
Well, it could be worse. This is save, attack and ... hm, some other attack.

No, it doesn't work quite that way. You don't choose when it happens it just does:
Cast Fortune:
Roll d20 three times and record the results in order.
These results replace the next three non-trivial rolls that target makes for any of the following types of rolls: attack roll, saving throw or skill check. At DMs discretion trivial rolls or rolls in non-dangerous situation cannot be replaced by prepared rolls. The effects end when all three rolls are used or on the next extended rest. The target doesn't know his/her fortune unless Martelai tells it.
[/sblock]

"It seems that way. But you can assured that Fate always balances. If you start with bad luck, use powers of lesser potency. Wait until your luck changes. The stars will see that you are fairly compensated."

MadAzolin

First Post
Igor suddenly cackles, seemingly appearing out of nowhere - 'My my... are we all here? Not me of course, I won't be going anywhere'. Smiling to himself as if he said something terrifically funny, he points at Martelai: 'Roll the dice... pay the price...' ... 'but we aren't here for joke and dance, are we? Our dear master has sent me to assist you with investigating this funny little thing' - Igor points at Martelai... 'uh... amulet I mean. He seemed certain that you can crack it yourself, but decided I am underpaid for my job, so he sent me to work a bit more...'. Refusing to shut up, Igor upturns patched leather bag and starts shaking it vigorously, spilling tattered papers, cracked runestones, gnawed bones, burnt scrolls and less useful things onto the table - 'He also sent me here if you will need some assistance with eldritch rituals'.
After rambling some more nonsense, Igor finally stops hopping around and sits by the table, obviously exhausted and happy at explanation he provided - 'As I see you have no more questions, let's see that amulet...'

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Looking somewhat disgusted, Martelai offers him the thing.

OOC: for speed, assume that this kind of interractions go without complaint and that items are handed as requested (dangerous or seemingly dangerous stuff not withstanding)

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Poetical." Vermitrax says in reply, standing up, leaving the seat to anyone who would want a fortune reading. "What is to be cracked about this amulet then?"

MadAzolin

First Post
Igor lifts amulet and dangles it before his oversized eye, obviously mesmerized by it... , 'Pretty pretty thing... I can see... magic... and... something else... is it Hells? Nah... Abyss? Nah... can't tell...' With sad look on his face, creature puts it on the table.
[sblock=strange amulet]
Light mithril chain is linked to triangular piece of strange grayish metal that seems virtually weightless and partially transparent, as if it does not entirely belong to this world. Single extremely complex silver rune is etched in its center, its meaning unknown.
Item radiates aura of powerful magic, but it seems its magic is dampened somehow, as if something is missing from it.
[/sblock]
Obviously upset, Igor starts pulling various items from his bag - cracked crystals, broken chunks of metal, squashed beetles... on and on goes the junk while he grumbles to himself 'where is it... scroll...'. Finally he pulls out large scroll tube and slowly unwinds scroll from it.
Deep rumbling of arcane words echoes through the room, Igor's voice gaining power as he goes through the scroll, even as mystical glyphs materialize in the air around him, glittering in dark purple radiance.

[sblock=arcana DC 20 or religion DC 20]
Igor is obviously reading ritual scroll, magic has clear signature of conjuration and divination.
[sblock=arcana DC 25 or religion DC 25]
Analyzing it more carefully, you are fairly sure ritual is 'Consult Mystic Sages', yet there is something bit unusual about it - it is definitely arcana ritual rather then religious one. Also it carries more then tinge of necromancy about it - almost like being keyed to some actual dead sages rather then extraplanar ones one would expect from that ritual.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
As Igor utters last word of power, room seems to darken and he lifts amulet high - 'Speak to me! I command you! Tell me what is this thing!'. At first nothing seems to happen...

[sblock=Insight DC 20]
While you cannot see anyone else in the room, you are certain you are no longer alone here. Concentrating, you can feel tingle of magic around you...
[sblock=Perception DC 25 or detect invisibility or equivalent]
Seven shadowy forms float in the chamber, set around you in the circle, ghostly forms of men and women robed in gray, old, hunched and long dead... you can hear faint whisper coming from them: 'Ask... one question for you, one and no more...'
[/sblock]
[sblock=Arcana DC 25]
Magic is obviously active and while you cannot see entities summoned, you are fairly sure they are spirits or ghosts of mages and scholars of the past, long dead and buried. They were likely called by the ritual to answer question.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
And then Igor screams, clutching his oversized eye as if someone or something poked it. With gurgling scream, he falls on his back, beer and junk falling on top of him. Scroll itself ignites with emerald flame and disappears before you manage to react and arcane glyphs disappear with rather unspectacular 'plop'...

[sblock=Arcana, Religion or Insight DC 25]
You can feel backlash of magic in the room. Even without knowing the ritual itself, you are fairly sure it backfired. Not an unusual thing either, for looking at Igor, you would judge his magical talent at level of junior wizard, not someone capable of performing proper divination ritual, scroll or not. Looking at wreckage, you are quite sure perfectly good ritual scroll was just wasted.
[sblock=Arcana, Religion or Insight DC 35]
While Igor's ritual performance was certainly bad, you felt something during the moment ritual backfired, as if someone or something else was responsible. Not sure how, you can remember voice - you heard it, but it was not directed to you - 'Ugly and unworthy, begone you thing, you are not fit even to join The Failed'.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
As he stops mewling on the floor, Igor rises up slowly, still clutching his eye and points toward the table - 'I... I did wat I could, you take it from here... it is magical as you saw... and EVIL! Perhaps librarians can tell you more... or priests... or one of these accursed rituals... after all IAC didn't hire you for me to do all the job, right?'. After realizing what he just said, he suddenly stiffens - 'Erm... sorry, I didn't mean it that way, you know... eye and all... if you need more scrolls, I am sure IAC office will sell you few for a fair price - you see this one was funding we received for up-front. Bloody sages were useless, they said 'po...', i bet that was 'poke' before they poked me in the eye.'

[sblock=DM/OOC]
Considering your little buddy failed and quite miserably too, It is now up to you to find out more about the amulet. Consider this an open ended skill challenge - I will give good ideas bonuses to skill rolls (and penalties to bad ideas), as long as you have credible explanation, most things can work.

Also considering pbp format, I will be using 'scenes' approach in situations like this one : 'scene' lasts for flexible amount of time, during it you can post, give ideas... please add skill rolls and results will be resolved on first-come-first-serve basis (though please keep number of posts reasonable). After some time has passed, let's say 24-48 hours, 'scene' will get an update and so on. Feel free to discuss / put suggestions in OOC thread (and/or do any in-character discussion here)

Btw, considering you are in controlled / nonhostile environment atm, feel free to do any shopping, resupplying...
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli felt a little woozy; perhaps she'd had a few too many small beers in the tavern.

[sblock=skill rolls during Igor's reading]Arcana DC 20 as Igor reads scroll = 17

Blech.

Insight 20 as Igor finishes the scroll = 16.

Hmmmmmm...

Arcana DC 25 when the scroll sets alight = 18.

I've certainly rolled a lot of threes in the last week or so.
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Vermitrax murmurs something, while studying the amulet and thinking about what just happened. Being an expert necromancer he would try to relate with old texts he had read about the dark arts.

Necromancy History knowledge 28

Rolls during Igor's ritual: From my 'luck' rolls: 9+14: Arcana 23, 14+11: Inisght 25, 6+14: Arcana 20, finally: Arcana 16

Remove ads