• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Paper Chase, Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

Luinnar

First Post
Mythra is enjoying himself for once, bossing the various "servants" about and sampling the various foods and drinks. As he sips his cappuccino, he wonders if Grys and the bard are eating hardtack, or whatever peasants eat in this train. He is uninterested in the scenery outside, natural beauty is a foreign concept to him. Instead he reads his tome and the copy of Mage's Monthly he was given, laughing at the ridiculous articles contained within.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"There are two reasons why we shouldn't do as you suggest Alexia. One, if you go talk to him, you'll tip our hand as to knowing that he is following us. And two, if he has other cohorts here on the lightning rail that we are unaware of, they too might be thrown off track by the fact that we are staying on board. I'd prefer to get this man and any accomplices off of their game, not alert them to the fact that we are aware of them. It's possible that he is a decoy. We are supposed to spot him. If so, I'd like to find out if he has any friends and who they might be. Your plan won't accomplish that. My plan might not accomplish that, but then again, it might. When we confront him, you can talk to him to your heart's content. I just don't want him stabbing us in our sleep, or killing you while you question him, or taking flight because you startle him with your questions and bump up his timetable. This man might not be what he seems. He might be very capable and very dangerous and might just look like an incompetent. So, let's not give him an edge, fair enough?" Grys asks.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Alexia looks at Grys in bewilderment, "Wow, you put a lot of thought into your paranoia. I'm impressed." Her scarred face then breaks into a smile, "I'm also kidding. About the paranoia, I mean. You're right though; I hadn't considered that there might be others." The smile vanishes and she shivers a little, "No offense, but I hope you've really misjudged the situation. I'd like to not be attacked every time I use the lightning rail. Last time it was warforged bandits. Very unpleasant..." she trails off as she resumes staring at the dish in front of her.

Antithetist

First Post
The rest of the evening passes uneventfully. Grys, Alexia and kal'Tarron return to their seats after coffee, and eventually retire to bunks in the sleeper car, whilst Orsik and Muzdum snatch what scraps of rest they can between the constant noise and vibration, the absence of anywhere to relax properly, and the threat of being robbed while they sleep. Mythra, after enjoying a fine meal and his choice from a wide selection of fine brandies, wines, and anything else he might want, retires to a comfy feather bed made up with fresh, fragrant linens.

After the best part of another day spent travelling, during which time Mythra continues to make the most of the amenities first class has to offer, the coach approaches Hatheril late in the afternoon. It looks small and peaceful, a sleepy backwater enlivened only by its convenient placement as a transportation hub. The group's furtive hanger-on is still seated in plain view of Grys, Alexia and kal'Tarron, making no move to leave and doing his best to look nonchalant as he keeps an eye on them over his day-old paper. If the last stop at Wroat was anything to go by, the group has about five minutes to exit the coach before it makes to set off again.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me." Grys smiles back at Alexia.

Later on, Grys goes to inform Orsik and Muzdum of the plan and to arrange a time to drop off the extra supplies. "Tell Mythra when you meet him outside about the plan. If he starts making a big deal out of it, just put your hand over his mouth Orsik and drag him away. No use letting him spoil our fun." Grys says to Orsik.

Grys doesn't bother to tell Mythra about the plan, just because Mythra will just complain about it anyway. He will go tell Mythra that the rest of the team will meet him outside on the platform after the lightning rail stops.

Gry, Kal, and Alexia will wait until there is virtually no time left, and then quickly head off of the dining car. They will patiently wait for their target right outside the door to the car on the platform.

Antithetist

First Post
The stranger watches the group leave with some evident surprise at their delay, but makes no move to follow them. They assemble on the platform and form a quick ambush party, but nobody else exits in the last few moments before the doors are closed and the train pulls away with a crackle of lightning.

Dusk is fast approaching, and a decision must soon be made whether to spend the night here in Hatheril or try to get underway and press onwards towards Sharford.

[sblock=Streetwise DC 12[/sblock]Rather than hiring a private coach, it's likely to be much cheaper and more convenient to book seats on a mail coach.[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Wha' now?" asks the dwarf. "If one of ye are softy and wanna make night 'ere, I've no complain, I'll probably spend the night brawlin' and drinkin' anyway. However, I'd like to press towards Sharford durin' the night." declares Muzdum, not aware, or not caring, if the others could see in the night as well as he did.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"Well, we do have a problem that we should discuss before deciding on when and how to move on to Sharford." Grys replies to Muzdum.

"The man following us on the lightning rail did not get off and was a bit taken back that the three of us did not get off right away. That means that he knew our destination ahead of time. It also means that his instructions were to stay on the lightning rail and follow us if we decided to not get off at Hatheril. Someone is putting in quite a bit of effort to keep an eye on us. That someone may be the Professor since he was presumably the only one who knew of our assignment, but I suspect that it is not him. We may want to consider heading to Sharford in a non-conventional manner in order to throw off these unseen watchers."

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
ooc: Alexia's Streetwise is +11.

Alexia furrows her brow at the presented issue, "Well... the easiest way to get there will be by getting a ride with a mail coach. Also, that will probably be more discrete than hiring a private coach, since the mail would be going there anyway. However, it does mean that we'll be at the mercy of the postal service's schedule. We might need to spend the night here."

She then smiles gently towards Mythra, "How was first class? Something we should spring for on the return trip?"

Luinnar

First Post
No, it was horrible. There were not enough soft pillows and the chocolate was too bitter. The wine was not the right year and the stupid women kept coming in asking me if I wanted anything. Mythra says. Actually he had a good time, but he would never admit it.

Mythra summons Martha with a wave of his hand. Where is he now? What did you find out.

[sblock=Martha's Answer?]
Or at least how I imagine she talks ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTunhRVyREU"]YouTube - Meow Mix song[/ame]
[/sblock]

Remove ads