• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Paper Chase, Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Seems like the elves got jumpy at the runnin' suggestion." mutters the dwarf to the giant.

"I thought you'd be more fun. Too bad." he says to Grys, as he moves protectively behind Alexia. After all, he made a promise to Braddock.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"I thought you'd be more fun. Too bad." he says to Grys, as he moves protectively behind Alexia. After all, he made a promise to Braddock.

"When we get jumped on the road, then you'll see how much fun I can truly be. I was actually surprised that you didn't want to head to a tavern after being cooped up in steerage for that long. But if you want to run behind the coach and stretch your legs, have at it." Grys replies to the dwarf with a smile.

"Each of us has our own personal strengths. Mine are tactics and strategies. It's what I do. If you choose to ignore my strengths in order to cut to the chase, you are free to do so. I would defer to you in your areas of expertise, but you are free to not defer to me in mine."

"Easy Grys, I didn't mean we need to rush in blindly, just that we can find little of interest this far out even if locals heard about some trouble overthere. And since we didn't notice any watchers we just MIGHT assume there aren't any since they already know where we're heading. Or we might use the night and try to find something that maybe isn't even here. I'm, or rather, I was strategical leader in my tribe. I value information about the enemy, but there must be a line in how much effort one puts into it."

KarinsDad

Adventurer
"Easy Grys, I didn't mean we need to rush in blindly, just that we can find little of interest this far out even if locals heard about some trouble overthere. And since we didn't notice any watchers we just MIGHT assume there aren't any since they already know where we're heading. Or we might use the night and try to find something that maybe isn't even here. I'm, or rather, I was strategical leader in my tribe. I value information about the enemy, but there must be a line in how much effort one puts into it."

"No worries Orsik. It's all good big guy." Grys says as he reaches up and pats Orsik on the shoulder. "We need to stand together in this, or the enemies will surely tear us apart. The watcher on the train does concern me greatly though. I always hate when the enemies know more about us then we do about them and it concerns me that someone is apparently spying on the Professor as well. I thought for once that we would be heading out on a mission that nobody knew we were doing, but that does not appear to be the case."

[sblock=OOC]
Just FYI. This is just Grys' normal behavior. He is an information and planning junkie and hates it when he's in the dark over something. Like Mythra, he will probably grate on people's nerves over this type of thing.
[/sblock]

OOC: As long as it is IC, I don't mind. Actually, I don't really mind if it's OOC as we don't knkow each other personally and I cannot say I'd be bothered by something anybody says about me. I'm fairly open this way as long as it doesn't interferre with our play time. And besides, you got some good credit since Orsik wouldn't even be here if not for your proposal :D

Antithetist

First Post
Alexia's enquiries soon turn up a coachdriver at the local inn, who for a little extra coin will set off within the hour and drive through the night.

Happily there is no sign of pursuit, and the nighttime journey is an uneventful one - the worst misfortune they meet is that it starts raining heavily, which is mostly an issue for Orsik since, with no room for him inside the coach, he is seated up front alongside the driver.

After a long, rainy morning spent on the high road that skirts around the fringes of the Greenhaunt, they finally pull into Sharford in the mid afternoon. The town seems about the same size as Hatheril, but out here on the edge of the forest there seems to be much more of a frontier mentality. The people seem hardier and less accustomed to strangers, and many of the buildings are timber rather than stone. Having paid the weary coachman, the party are left to their own devices.

rb780nm

First Post
OOC: I assume there's a temple of some sort around. If not on Balinor himself, then of the Sovereign host.

kal'Tarron turns to the others "We need to find information about this Derslin character. I suggest we split up and go where our diverse interests lead us. I will find a priest of Balinor, or at least the host and make some discrete inquiries.

Shall we meet back here at, say, sunset?"

Last edited:

Antithetist

First Post
OOC: Back up, you're getting a bit ahead of me with all those 'fast forward' type rolls. If the group agrees to split up and hunt out clues or rumours individually, that's fine, but it'll nonetheless take the form of a group skill challenge. Meaning one check each per round of the challenge.

Possibly I should have laid that out in my last post, sorry for any confusion - wasn't expecting you to race ahead quite so quickly. Anyhow, the Streetwise check was entirely unnecessary, you don't need to roll to find Sharford's temple to the Host - any passerby will tell you for free. So I can skip over that and take your Diplomacy check to make nice with the priests, which is worth a success in the skill challenge since they do indeed have some knowledge of local goings-on.

Meanwhile, what's everyone else doing? Feel free to discuss and sound out possible avenues of enquiry, don't feel like you need to make a check every post without fail. If, for instance, you just want to know if the town has an inn, you don't need to make a check to find that out (and making a check for that won't net you a success on the challenge).

Last edited:

Remove ads