D&D 5E Adventures in Middle Earth: Over the Edge of the Wild (RP Thread)

ArtoriusaurusRex

First Post
"Oh, uh, the cart's mostly full of iron tools," Baldor said, "As well as some wooden toys. If you do want to join me, I was getting ready to load the cart onto a ferry just over there." Baldor points past the hill. "In any case, I suppose I need to get back to it. It won't load itself."

Jago

Explorer
" Allow me to assist," Halvar offered, " Many hands will make the work go faster."

This was not what he had set out for this morning, but the Lakeman assumed that there was some purpose behind it. To travel Mirkwood was to invite foul luck, but even here, near Dale, Halvar knew that there were equally villainous predators. That the father and his son had been lucky enough to nearly reach the ferry was a blessed thing, more so that there were protectors to drive off the wolves.

He gave a small thought to the men they had chased off. Would it have been better to stop them entirely? To jail them, or worse? The more the wolf was denied food, the hungrier and more desperate it became. However, Halvar knew that such men would still be invited back by King Bard: they still had a place at home, should they choose to accept it. It pained him that still so many could not willingly embrace such an offer of brotherhood. The damage that the Old Master had reaped upon his people was far longer lasting than the Dragon Fire.

" T'was mighty fine fortune that we were here, Baldor," Halvar admitted, " Have you had much trouble on your journeys before?"

He kept the conversation going whilst following any instruction the merchant set out to help get the goods from the cart to the ferry station, and from there loaded onto any boat that would arrive.

ArtoriusaurusRex

First Post
It was a good hour before the elves arrived.

"Suillad mellon!" the lead elf called to Baldor on sight, "It's good to see you again, Baldor! And well met, to your companions!"

"And you, Lindar," Baldor answers.

Between the party and the newly arrived elves, the supplies are quickly loaded onto the boats.

The ponies are initially wary of stepping onto the raft, but when Lindar steps forward to whisper in one of their ears, the little beasts are quickly comforted and step aboard with no more time lost.

As the party finally departs, there is a sense of grand new beginnings in the air. Of hope, and freshness. The trees seem greener than they sometimes do, and much conversation and laughter is had. Especially with little Belgo, whom the elves clearly love and have known for a long time.

-----------------------------------------

A day and a half into the journey, on a cool, clear day, one of the elven scouts calls out.

"Fallen tree!"

And indeed, in the path of the boats was a large tree that had fallen over the river. The water babbled softly as it flowed over it in some parts and under in others.

ArtoriusaurusRex

First Post
With some quick thinking on Ceodric's part, combined with the skill, smarts, and athleticism of the others, a plan is devised.

Using ropes, one of the boats, and a woodcutting axe, the party manages to quickly eliminate the blockage in the river, chopping the tree in several sections until a path can be cleared.

"Wow," Belgo said, "You all cleared that in no time!"

"Impressive work indeed," Lindar echoes.

Which it was. The work is completed in less than half and hour, and in the backs of their minds, the company began to realize that they synergize well together.

-------------------------------------

The remainder of the journey went without incident, though the rowing was difficult and the forest canopy somewhat oppressive as they paddled further into the woods. Finally, the watergates of the Woodland Realm were in sight, and although every aching muscle was keenly felt, it was a good ache. The ache of a journey well traveled, for a worthy cause.

"Hail, Baldor," the gate guard calls, "The Elvenking welcomes you back to his halls. And who among you speaks for the newcomers?"

GreenKarl

First Post
As per normal, Bromm kept to few if any words with his new companions. During the rowing and moving of the trees he worked in silence and suborning pushed through to the other end. At the gate he puts up his oar and pulls out his pipe and pipeweed. He lights the weed silently and waits others to do the talking. Plus he didn't quite trust elves...

Jago

Explorer
~ Halvar stepped forward, having no qualms with Elves and their ilk; he had fought alongside them beneath the shadow of The Lonely Mountain, and considered those of Mirkwood fast friends of his people.

" Hail, Friend Elf," he called out, " I am Halvar, Son of Halstein, of Esgaroth. These are my companions."

The man stepped aside so that his cohorts may speak for and introduce themselves should they wished.

" Baldor had requested our aid to reach your lands," he explained after the introductions, " And we have insured that he and his son have arrived safely. May we enter alongside the merchant?" ~

In the gap allowed by Halvar for introductions, Ceodric spoke briefly and softly in Elvish. When he indicated Hilda, she barked but it seemed to be in a much softer manner than before, and even in a different accent. Almost.

OOC:
C: Hail friends. We are acting as guides for this merchant and his son who were waylaid by bandits. I am The Dreamer of Rhosgobel. This is my hound, Hilda.
H: Rowf.

ArtoriusaurusRex

First Post
"It is my duty to vet each and every potential entrant to the Woodland Halls, Halvar, son of Halstein," he said, "It is a privilege not freely given to all, and though we know of Baldor and his son, we do not know you. At least, not yet."

He then turns to The Dreamer.

<Sindarin>"Hail, Dreamer. Rare is the Woodsman who speaks our tongue. When and where did you spend time with my people to learn it?"</Sindarin>

<Sindarin> From Radagast the Brown and from listening with those of the Woodland Realm that have visited with him.<Sindarin>
<Quenya> I have a skill with languages. I pick them up easily. <Quenya>
<Westron> Though the tongues of Men come easier to me.<Westron>
<Sindarin> I am a healer and a seer. My blessing and my curse.<Sindarin>

ArtoriusaurusRex

First Post
<Sindarin> "Radagast is known to us. He is great among the wise, and your education is indeed reflective of such a teacher. I will welcome you into these halls. But, do you also vouch for these companions? Who are they?"

Remove ads