D&D 5E Adventures - Levels and page count

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Leveling on plot points doesn't work for everyone but if PCs aren't leveling fast enough, at the very least, increase XP they're getting to compensate.

I'm intrigued by seeing that the original writers of Ravenloft have apparently been running this for friends and family every year since they originally wrote it and are back on board for this one. To me, that says we might get quite a lot in the way of notes and information that may flesh out the page count quite nicely.

I'm also expecting some new monsters. I'm not expecting new player options but you never know.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
That is very odd to me too, because if I'm understanding you correctly, people are complaining that they're spending the same amount but aren't going up as much in levels?

That's baffling to me because whether or not I go up 1 level or 20 is irrelevant to how much time I actually spend playing. And to me, that's what is important when it comes to cost. I don't want to spend the same amount of $ on a product that I spend 25 hours with as one that I spent 100 hours with. I can have fun playing the game at any level. I cannot have fun playing the game if I'm not actually playing it.

By that logic, I could charge $39 for a five page book, as long as it gets you from level 1 to 15.

"You fight a duck. Gain a level!

The party will need to put on their snowboots. When they do, they gain a level!

If any member of the party farts IRl, the party gains a magic sword and 10 levels!"

The old school modules were released at varying party power levels - eg 'an adventure for 4-5 characters of levels 5-7'.

I'd rather see something more like this rather than a series of start overs to accommodate the 1-15 or 1-10 or 1-anything paradigm. That implies each AP should be a self contained campaign, without the ability to port characters across easily, if at all.

I'd like to see more of a series of 'modules' of varying level needs, myself, so the heroes of Cragmaw Castle can grow through lots of different scenarios, all iconic to 5e.

akr71

Hero
I haven't been keeping that up to date, but I thought the page count on Strahd was close to POTA & OOTA. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the fewer levels were to leave room to further detail the 'new setting' everyone has been clamoring for.

Buy the book, play the adventure, then make up your own Revenloft stories. Just my 2cp

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
I'm actually disappointed the level range is so broad; they said we'd get a shorter adventure, but I don't really feel that going 1-10 instead of 1-15 really fits the spirit of "shorter adventure."

Personally, the value of this adventure to me is exactly the same as the previous ones: basically none, because I don't want a campaign, I want an adventure.

Unlike the previous ones, I might actually end up buying this one anyway, once it is available for half or so price - depending on how easily it can be inserted into my actual campaign.
Yeah I will never buy such a long adventure. I did buy ruins of phandelver, admittedly, but at least that's only 1-4 or so. My preference is short adventures with a level range of about 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12. I don't really play above 12th level, all gets too gonzo.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Yes. I've said it before, but I want mini-paths. Adventures that take the players through just a few levels

I suppose in fairness, it's likely the old-timers who are really clamoring for this - and we're also the ones most comfortable with just taking older adventures and adapting them. As a few people pointed out quite a while back, we have no real need for new adventures; just based on the TSR stuff, I have enough adventure material to play for longer than I will live.

It is also seeming like WotC is intending for the AL stuff to fill the "shorter adventure" gap, while still relating to the main storyline. That's just an observation/supposition on my part.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
From them directly? Or, maybe they figured this new initiative would garner many short adventures (which is highly likely).

Mike Mearls on Twitter, July 2015:

"@michael_natale it's tricky, because shorter adventures are hard to make work in book and game stores. we have some ideas, though."

I could have sworn there have been other mentions too, but I can't find them now.

Remove ads