D&D 5E Again the Banishment spell ruined my game !

Dausuul

Legend
Here's one way to make banishment a little less harsh on the target: Just remove the line where the target is incapacitated while banished. So it can drink a healing potion, cast a buff spell on itself, and ready an attack for when the spell ends.

Prism

Explorer
Wow, I'm in total disagreement with you here. If it's within the enemy's capabilities and it's the logical move, it's never a "dick move" to use their abilities in a tactically sound way. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it's doing your players a disservice to softball things, including things like this.

When this spell first came up in our game my character was trying to banish some devils. The DM referred to the spell and asked what component I was using. I could see his mind ticking with future possibilities so happily agreed to the specific repulsive component wording which meant I couldn't actually cast the spell at that time. Close call! Hopefully precedence is set..

Skyscraper

Explorer
A thought, upon thinking about this topic: if any spellcaster PC can cast banishment easily on an enemy cleric with basic spell components, then the opposite should be true. Opponent spellcasters should be able to banish the PC cleric easily. No?

Dausuul

Legend
A thought, upon thinking about this topic: if any spellcaster PC can cast banishment easily on an enemy cleric with basic spell components, then the opposite should be true. Opponent spellcasters should be able to banish the PC cleric easily. No?
Actually, clerics--PC or NPC--are lousy targets for banishment. They're proficient in Cha saves, and they often have decent Charisma scores as well. Still, you can always get lucky, as this PC apparently did.

In general, the weak point of banishment is the concentration requirement. Both monsters and PCs should target the caster as soon as somebody gets banished.

Nebulous

Legend

This is true, and players would absolutely HATE it. I can't speak for other groups, but my players would argue until they are blue in the face "such and such does not disgust me, so the spell wouldn't work"

Nebulous

Legend
I'm reading this thread with interest. I've not seen or used the Banishment spell yet. Hell, my players won't have access to it for a long time time, so it's not even on the radar. But i see the pros and cons that both camps here are taking. It's interesting.

Remove ads