Agile Shield Fighter and Two Weapon Fighting

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
James McMurray said:
Really? My SRD says a medium heavy shield of bashing does 1d8. You've enchanted the shield with bashing, not the spikes. Spikes are enchanted as weapons and so cannot have the bashing quality. If you hit with the spikes you're back to doing 1d6.

Spikes aren't separate; what you have is a spiked heavy shield, which is both a shield, and can be made into a weapon in its own right.

It's not the spikes that are 'enchanted with weapons', and you don't 'hit with the spikes'; it's the spiked shield that is 'enchanted as a weapon', and you hit with the spiked shield.

-Hyp.

Bagpuss

Legend
Actually Bashing is applied to the shield which increases it's damage as if it had increased two size steps, from 1d4 => 1d6 => 1d8

Then Spikes are put on the Bashing shield, which makes it into a martial piercing weapon as if one size larger 1d8 => 2d6.

From the FAQ

The description of the magical bashing property for
shields says it can be added only to light or heavy shields.
Does this exclude shields with shield spikes? That is, can
you have a +2 spiked light shield of bashing?

You can add the bashing property to a spiked shield. If you
do, the damage dealt by the shield bash increases from normal
by 3 steps (2 for the bashing property and 1 for the shield
spikes), and the weapon becomes a martial piercing weapon.
The example +1 spiked light shield of bashing, if made for a
Medium character, would deal 1d8 points of piercing damage
from the bash. (Normally a light shield bash deals 1d3 points of
damage, but the spikes improve that to 1d4 and the bashing
enhancement increases that to 1d8.)

That example is a light shield but if you do it to a heavy shield you end up with 2d6+1.

James McMurray

First Post
My mistake. That is pretty nice. Of course, a +1 fire short sword also does 2d6+1, has a 19-20 crit range, and is finessable. It too can be combined with EWP (Bastard Sword) if you choose.

I'm sorry, your combo is nice, but it ain't broken. Well, once the part about trying to negate penalties from ITWF was removed. That definitely would have been nerfed.

sukael

First Post
James McMurray said:
Really? My SRD says a medium heavy shield of bashing does 1d8. You've enchanted the shield with bashing, not the spikes. Spikes are enchanted as weapons and so cannot have the bashing quality. If you hit with the spikes you're back to doing 1d6.

Huh? It's a "spiked shield", not "spikes" "and a shield".

srd said:
When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.

Note that the spikes change the shield's damage, rather than adding their own.

Remove ads