Agile Shield Fighter and Two Weapon Fighting

Bagpuss

Legend
Ah but it's not that simple.

If you just play it like TWF gives no benifit then then you are forcing folks to take a pointless feat TWF if they want to shield bash more than once a turn effectively killing the Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater TWF tree, for someone that wants to bash away with his shield.

It being the Rules Forum I thought there might be some folks here that might have a more elegant solution than just sticking your head in the sand and pretending there isn't a problem.

It amazes me that people read a Rules Forum when they have no interest in discussing rules.

Last edited:

Twowolves

Explorer
Considering that the off hand attacks are with a sub-par at best weapon (shield), that can't easily have weapon enhancements added, I don't see it's that bad. The two weapon fighter with a flaming burst keen off-handed weapon will still do more damage in the long run, wouldn't he?

Bagpuss

Legend
Perhaps but then he wouldn't have +3 to his AC (plus whatever magic the shield has) and be at -2 to hit, with his first attacks and -4 with his second compared to the shield fighter. And the Shield Fighter could always enchant the spikes to be keen flaming burst.

MacMathan

Explorer
IMHO it was a feat that allowed a sword and boarder a shield bash without having to have a high dex.

A lot of S&B characters lean towards heavy armor where a high dex is wasted anyways.

I saw it as kind of like the feat, Armor specialization I think it was called, that allowed someone to get an AC bonus that couldn't qualify for Dodge dex-wise.

Personally IMC I would not allow them to stack.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Twowolves said:
Considering that the off hand attacks are with a sub-par at best weapon (shield), that can't easily have weapon enhancements added...

Er?

An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

A +1 shield (1160gp, say) gets no bonus to attack or damage, but its shield bonus is improved. But a shield which is a +1 magic weapon (2310gp) might have its normal shield bonus, but it gets a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls.

At the extreme end, you might have a +5 Heavy Fortification shield which is a +5 Flaming Burst Shocking Burst Ghost Touch weapon (300460gp).

Note that shield spikes aren't required to make a shield into a weapon, and if you add spikes to a shield, you get a spiked shield; you don't make +1 Flaming spikes on a shield, you make a +1 Flaming spiked shield. It's the shield or the spiked shield which is made into a magic weapon, not the spikes.

-Hyp.

3d6

Explorer
Even better, buy a +1 bashing spiked heavy wooden shield. For 4157 gp, you get a +1 shield and a +1 one-handed weapon that deals 2d6 points of damage.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Darklone said:
Agile Shield Fighter is a strange feat... I think it's only purpose is to allow shield fighters without high Dex to go shieldbashing TWF.

Yes, and it does not say you have to use a Light Shield. You can use your heavy steel shield, and it would have the same penalties as a buckler...

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Darklone said:
All I want to hear is one rule: TWF cannot be used with shields.

Gimme that and I'm happy.

Sorry, but it can. A person who wants to fight with a shield in the offhand now has 2 paths before them:

take 2wf if you have a 15 dex, and take improved shield bash

OR

Take agile shield fighter, shield specialization, and improved shield bash. This way, you dont need a 15 dex. So it is more limited in that you need more feats and it is a more narrow effect, but easier to get into.

I will give you this-- they don't stack. That'd be dumb.

Remove ads