AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

JP82

First Post
Why is that a problem? You're assuming the current paradigm of people needing jobs, but that state of affairs is every bit as artificial as AI itself. Do the birds have jobs? Do the beasts?
convince companies to pay people the same amount for less time and you have a point. Until then...

JP82

First Post
Computers have been stealing our jobs for decades. We might not like it, but it is inevitable that people won't have anywhere near the kind of jobs we do in the future.
But the human population increases exponentially, and jobs decrease, so what is the solution? Corporations aren't just going to give us a living income

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
But the human population increases exponentially, and jobs decrease, so what is the solution? Corporations aren't just going to give us a living income
Not so much of an increase in several large economies recently...

"The new analysis estimates that 46% of countries had a fertility rate below replacement level in 2021. That number will increase to 97% by 2100, meaning the population of almost all countries in the world will be declining by the end of the century."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Copied from a Facebook post making the rounds.

“Posting this on behalf of a member who would like to remain anonymous:

I’m an art director and supervisor for a large studio. The studio heads had the bright idea before I started to hire prompters. Several bros were brought onto the film project. I absolutely hated myself for not quitting on the spot but stuck with it because it’s mercenary out there. Have a family to feed etc. I decided to use this time wisely. Treat them as I would any artist I had hired. First round of pictures of a sweeping Ariel forest landscape comes through and it’s not bad. They submit a ton of work and one or two of the 40 are ok. Nearly on brief. So first round feedback goes through and I tell them about the perspective mistakes, colour changes I want, layers that any matte painting would be split into.

Within a day I get 5 variants. Not changes to the ones I wanted but variations. Again. Benefit of the doubt I give them another round of feedback making it clear. Next day it’s worse. I sit there and patiently paint over, even explaining the steps I would take as a painter. They don’t do it, anomalies start appearing when I say I want to keep the exact image but with changes. They can’t. They simply don’t have the eye to see the basic mistakes so the AI starts to over compensate. We get people starting to appear in the images. These are obviously holiday snaps.

“Remove the people”

“What would you like them changed to?”

“…grass. I just don’t want them there”

They can’t do it. The one that can actually use photoshop hasn’t developed the eye to see his mistakes, ends up getting angry at me for not understanding he can’t make specific changes. The girl whose background was a little photography has given me 40 progressively worse images with wilder mistakes every time. This is 4 days into the project.

I’m both pissed about the waste, but elated seeing ai fall at the first hurdle. It’s not even that the images are unusable, the people making them have no eye for what’s wrong, no thicker skin for constructive criticism and feedback, no basic artistic training in perspective and functionality in what they’re making.

Yes the hype is going to pump more money into this. They won’t go anywhere for a while. But this has been such a glowing perfect moment of watching the fundamental part fail in the face of the most simple tasks. All were fired and the company no longer accepts Ai prompters as applicants. Your training as an artist will always be the most important part of this process and it is invaluable. I hope this post gives you a boost in a dark time.”

For anyone who claims that being able to drop a few words into a plagiarism machine makes you an artist, read that. Then read it again. Having the skills to create art, change art, manipulate it to brief...understanding of color, perspective, etc...these are just some of the skills required to be an artist. If you don't have those skills, you're not an artist. It's the Dunning-Kruger Effect writ large.
Sounds more like Set up to fail. If the initial images were good and just couldn’t be modified by the promoters then give the image you like best to someone that can actually change it.

But the average person (sadly) read at a middle school level. Why do you think all the articles on social media obviously written by someone who doesn't know English for crap trend (This is coming from a professional English news writer and editor for over 15 years)

That what I was told by a math teacher friend. I mentionned the difficulties, so far, for AI to understand more complex compositions, and she told me some of her students would have difficulty following the drawing instructions as well...

Remove ads