• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

overgeeked

B/X Known World
On Gizmodo this morning:

Nursing has traditionally been one of the best-paying professions that doesn't require years of post-graduate work and is traditionally popular with people from poorer communities and immigrant communities as a way to lift whole families out of poverty and on the track to the middle class.

As always, this is going after the most repetitive aspects of a job and automating them. And while I certainly wouldn't want a chatbot trying to guess from context what the next word was in my healthcare instructions, they're just going to get better.

And AI companies will be coming for all the repetitive stuff in all of our jobs -- and we've all got those -- as soon as it makes financial sense for the bosses to do so.
A lot of people are going to die. I asked a bot about something yesterday and it confused three and five. If it does that with someone’s meds or care intructions, that’s going to result in dead patients and lawsuits. Thankfully there are unions out there that will be bulwarks against this. Too bad more people aren’t in unions. And, as mentioned, lots more people out of work.

I wonder at what point will the techbros around here see “AI” as a problem. Maybe when it directly impacts them and their family. It would be great if empathy were a more widespread trait.

Scribe

Legend
some one should have told this doctor not to do that

Once again you are conflating 2 different things.

A program being written to analyze data at a level humans cannot, to then inform human activity, is not replacing someone. A program being written to quite literally replace jobs, for tasks humans can do that can in theory be programmed, is replacing many someone's in an effort to drive down costs by replacing labour.

I'm not sure why you continue to do that, when its clear to everyone else that these things are not the same.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Wow. That’s insane. What an absolutely despicable move.
Honestly, a lot of artists I know are talking about leaving behind Adobe for alternative solutions. Thankfully, a lot of free competitors to photoshop are around (I personally prefer GIMP, its free, and 2.10 has no auto ai tools of any kind whatsoever).

Some artists I know are contemplating nuking their online presence, or moving behind secure paywalls like patreon to protect their work. This latest development is quite shocking because Adobe has been trusted for decades to work with artists, and they have significant influence over the creative economy.

Trust is the key issue, and at the moment public is losing trust in ai.

Once again you are conflating 2 different things.

A program being written to analyze data at a level humans cannot, to then inform human activity, is not replacing someone. A program being written to quite literally replace jobs, for tasks humans can do that can in theory be programmed, is replacing many someone's in an effort to drive down costs by replacing labour.

I'm not sure why you continue to do that, when its clear to everyone else that these things are not the same.
I was attempting to be sarcastic about the "AI is bad" I see to have failed, maybe I need an AI to help my sarcasm.

Scribe

Legend
I was attempting to be sarcastic about the "AI is bad" I see to have failed, maybe I need an AI to help my sarcasm.

Yeah, we get it, and its again because you are conflating opposing concepts.

Find me one person that say's programmatic analysis to detect cancer is bad.

Its not the same thing, and I think you know it, so your continued 'not all AI is bad' is just trying to obfuscate.

Yeah, we get it, and its again because you are conflating opposing concepts.

Find me one person that say's programmatic analysis to detect cancer is bad.

Its not the same thing, and I think you know it, so your continued 'not all AI is bad' is just trying to obfuscate.
well when someone says "“AI” as a problem" it's hard not to say "not all AI"

Frist they jumped on crypto with the crypto focused cards and now AI
7vcwp62e56pc1.jpeg

Remove ads