AI is stealing writers’ words and jobs…

Art Waring

halozix.com
Emad Mostaque, CEO of Stability AI, said on twitter that the dataset for SD3 was fully respecting opt-out "unlike anyone else", after mentionning their training method on arstechnica. Since the other major players in the field (Dall-E and MJ) don't communicate on this, maybe he's privy to insider info, maybe he's just commenting on their lack of transparency. If confirmed, it's good to have another major player (along with Adobe) who has an EU-compliant generative system.
Opt-out options are a cop out, allowing companies to deflect blame to artists. If they were actually interested in treating artists fairly it would be an opt-in system. Furthermore, tons of companies offer opt-out options that are never enforced. There is currently no law forcing companies to enforce opt-out lists, and they are free to ignore them at their convenience. As a traditional artist, opt-out only is not a valid solution. Period.

Not to mention, that the opt-out option completely ignores the issue of scraping and using personal data without consent. For the one company that does use opting-out, there are thousands of companies that ignore the issue completely. Until this is regulated across the entire industry, opting-out is next to useless.

Oh, and about Adobe. They claim they have 100% gotten consent to train their models, but many artists are saying that this is a blatant lie.

Article: Artists accuse Adobe of tracking their design process to power its ai.

quoted from the article:
Photoshop, and other Adobe products, are tracking artists that use their apps to see how they work—in essence, stealing the processes and actions that graphic designers have developed over decades of work to mine for its own automated systems. The concern is that what is a complicated, convoluted artistic process becomes possible to automate—meaning “graphic designer” or “artist” could soon join the long list of jobs at risk of being replaced by robots.

More:
Watch out for Adobe automatically Opting you In for “Machine learning” aka Ai. Also, tech companies that glorify “Opting out” options are using this to shift responsibility of Data mining onto US. Sneaky. Meanwhile Ai never forgets. It’s theatre.

The fear of design processes being tracked by technology and then used to train artificial intelligence taps into a broader discomfort with the way in which artists are treated by generative AI apps. David Holz, the founder of Midjourney, an AI image generator, said in a September interview with Forbes that his organization had not sought the permission of the artists on which its AI was trained—which caused consternation among the art community. Some artists have created tools designed to allow their colleagues to opt out of having their work used to train AI. The European Union has also questioned the legality of AI tools hoovering up vast amounts of artwork to train their machine learning models.

“For me, it’s astonishing that a paid service assumes it’s okay to violate users’ privacy at such a scale,” says Andrey Okonetchnikov, a front-end developer and UI and UX designer from Vienna, Austria, who uses Adobe products to sync photographs. “It’s troublesome because companies who offer to store data in the cloud assume that they own the data. It violates intellectual property and privacy of millions of people and it’s assumed to be ‘business as usual’. This must stop now.”

Another article listed here where stock art creators are interviewed, saying Adobe did not get their permission:

a vocal group of contributors to Adobe Stock, which includes 300 million images, illustrations and other content that trained the Firefly model, say they are not happy. According to some creators, several of whom VentureBeat spoke to on the record, Adobe trained Firefly on their stock images without express notification or consent.

While this is certainly an issue for other text-to-image generative tools such as DALL-E 2, Stable Diffusion and Midjourney (which were trained on scrapes of imagery posted to the public web, including copyrighted imagery), it is particularly egregious for a company like Adobe, which has been deeply intertwined with the creative economy for decades, they say.

He said he didn’t receive any notice that Adobe was training an AI model. “I don’t recall receiving an email or notification that said things are changing, and that they would be updating the terms of service,” he said.

There is still a very, very long way to go towards making ethically-sourced training models for generative ai. Your attempts to steer the narrative away from this are also an attempt to sweep the damage dealt to artists under the rug while you champion ai as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Adobe's stock made significant gains following the announcement of Firefly, I wonder why.

Simultaneously they are stealing your artistic process in real time.

This goes beyond just scraping data, Adobe is also training directly on your creative process without telling you. This is beyond vile in every way I can imagine. The only way to protect yourself as an artist is simply to NOT USE THE TOOLS.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Opt-out options are a cop out, allowing companies to deflect blame to artists. If they were actually interested in treating artists fairly it would be an opt-in system. Furthermore, tons of companies offer opt-out options that are never enforced. There is currently no law forcing companies to enforce opt-out lists, and they are free to ignore them at their convenience. As a traditional artist, opt-out only is not a valid solution. Period.

Not to mention, that the opt-out option completely ignores the issue of scraping and using personal data without consent. For the one company that does use opting-out, there are thousands of companies that ignore the issue completely. Until this is regulated across the entire industry, opting-out is next to useless.

Oh, and about Adobe. They claim they have 100% gotten consent to train their models, but many artists are saying that this is a blatant lie.

Article: Artists accuse Adobe of tracking their design process to power its ai.

quoted from the article:

More:

Another article listed here where stock art creators are interviewed, saying Adobe did not get their permission:

There is still a very, very long way to go towards making ethically-sourced training models for generative ai. Your attempts to steer the narrative away from this are also an attempt to sweep the damage dealt to artists under the rug while you champion ai as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Adobe's stock made significant gains following the announcement of Firefly, I wonder why.

Simultaneously they are stealing your artistic process in real time.

This goes beyond just scraping data, Adobe is also training directly on your creative process without telling you. This is beyond vile in every way I can imagine. The only way to protect yourself as an artist is simply to NOT USE THE TOOLS.
Wow. That’s insane. What an absolutely despicable move.

In this case we cheer on the big corporation when two decades ago we were booing them. Strange bed fellows indeed

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ROFL.

"Oh man good thing I helped get this code writing platform off the ground, now I dont need to code anymore!"
"Wait...I'm redundant? Oh, my whole department? Oh..."
My wife and I figured out about nine months ago that her contracting job is actually training an AI. Luckily, she had already was in the process of looking for a job, but there are people who had been thinking this was going to be their career. I do think there will still be jobs at the company in the future, just far fewer of them, as the work shifts to the corner cases AI is still having trouble with and needs to learn from the remaining humans.

Scribe

Legend
My wife and I figured out about nine months ago that her contracting job is actually training an AI. Luckily, she had already was in the process of looking for a job, but there are people who had been thinking this was going to be their career. I do think there will still be jobs at the company in the future, just far fewer of them, as the work shifts to the corner cases AI is still having trouble with and needs to learn from the remaining humans.

Yep. I had guys having the various tools write their emails for them. Then, when they got in front of clients, or management, they just looked like idiots without a clue.

Nobody who actually writes code for a living, is looking at that add and thinking 'man finally I have time to clean the house and cook!' they are thinking 'I live in a city, I wont be able to afford my house when I have to go work at a grocery store because I lost my coding job.'

You gotta wonder who buys that kind of advertisement.

Yep. I had guys having the various tools write their emails for them. Then, when they got in front of clients, or management, they just looked like idiots without a clue.

Nobody who actually writes code for a living, is looking at that add and thinking 'man finally I have time to clean the house and cook!' they are thinking 'I live in a city, I wont be able to afford my house when I have to go work at a grocery store because I lost my coding job.'

You gotta wonder who buys that kind of advertisement.
I was mainly impressed by the vertical monitor looking right from both sides

Remove ads