D&D General AI isn't all that great when it comes to D&D

Clint_L

Hero
Another: "Write an outline for a level 5 D&D adventure. It should begin in a town, with the characters in jail. Include a pair of wyverns and, later, a Froghemoth who lives in a swamp. There should be a halfling child named Nona."

Here is an outline for a level 5 D&D adventure:

I. Introduction:

• The characters find themselves in a small town called Oakdale, where they have been arrested for a crime they did not commit.
  • While in jail, they meet a halfling child named Nona, who claims to have witnessed the real perpetrators of the crime.
II. Escape from jail:

• The characters must find a way to escape from jail and clear their names.
  • Nona offers to help them, as she knows a secret tunnel that leads out of the jail.
III. Search for the real perpetrators:

• The characters, with Nona's help, begin to search for the real perpetrators of the crime.
  • They learn that the perpetrators are a group of wyverns who have been terrorizing the town and stealing valuable items.
IV. Confronting the wyverns:

• The characters track down the wyverns to their lair, where they must confront the creatures and retrieve the stolen items.
  • During the confrontation, one of the wyverns is killed, while the other manages to escape.
V. Following the escaped wyvern:

• The characters decide to follow the escaped wyvern, hoping to find more information about the crime and clear their names.
  • They eventually come across a swamp, where they hear rumors of a Froghemoth living in the area.
VI. Confronting the Froghemoth:

• The characters venture into the swamp and eventually find the Froghemoth, who is guarding a treasure hoard.
  • They must defeat the Froghemoth in order to retrieve the stolen items and clear their names.
VII. Conclusion:

• With the stolen items recovered and the Froghemoth defeated, the characters are able to clear their names and return to Oakdale as heroes.
  • Nona thanks the characters for their help and promises to keep in touch.
So, this is super fun. I love that it obviously doesn't understand what Wyverns are and makes them gangsters or something, but that just adds to the wackiness. There are some really nice touches added - the town is called Oakdale? Nona offers to help escape through a secret tunnel? Cool. It's obviously very much on a rail but with a little massaging this could be a fun little story arc. I am going to experiment more to see just how granular I can get this thing to go. But you have to admit, for the minute of effort, max, it took me to come up with the prompt, the AI did pretty well. Look at how it kept the plot tied together.

And the AI has been in the wild for around a month. Give it, or its descendent, a year or two, and it is going to start coming up with good stuff.

Hussar

Legend
Bloody hell that's impressive. Granted, a wyvern isn't typically smart enough to do this, but, a bit of a tweak and this would work quite well.

this is just too good... I may never buy a WotC adventure ever again!

prompt:

write a D&D one-shot adventure in the world of Christmas. Santa is dead, and Disney Princesses are sent by Mickey Mouse to take over. Include at least one combat encounter, one exploration encounter, and one roleplay encounter

response:

"The Frozen Reign of the Disney Princesses"

Synopsis:
In a world where Christmas is governed by Santa Claus and his team of elves, something has gone terribly wrong. Santa is dead, and in his absence, the Disney Princesses have seized control of the North Pole, declaring themselves the new rulers of Christmas. Mickey Mouse, the leader of the Disney characters, has enlisted a group of heroes to help him take back the North Pole and restore order to the holiday season.

Setting: The adventure takes place in the North Pole, specifically in Santa's Workshop and the surrounding icy tundra. The workshop is filled with all sorts of magical toys and gadgets, as well as a giant toy-making assembly line. Outside, the tundra is a cold and treacherous place, home to all sorts of dangers such as polar bears and snow monsters.

Combat Encounter: As the heroes make their way to the workshop, they are ambushed by a group of Snow Monsters, giant creatures made of ice and snow. The Snow Monsters are loyal to the Disney Princesses and will stop at nothing to prevent the heroes from reaching the workshop.

Exploration Encounter: Once the heroes reach the workshop, they must navigate its many rooms and corridors, searching for clues about what happened to Santa and how to defeat the Disney Princesses. Along the way, they will encounter all sorts of interesting gadgets and toys, including a talking teddy bear and a spinning top that can create a whirlwind.

Roleplay Encounter: As the heroes search for a way to defeat the Disney Princesses, they come across a group of elves who are being held prisoner. The elves will plead with the heroes to help them escape and bring down the princesses, offering to share valuable information in exchange for their freedom. The heroes must decide whether to trust the elves and work with them, or continue on their own.

Conclusion: With the help of the elves and their knowledge of the workshop's defenses, the heroes are able to formulate a plan to take down the Disney Princesses and restore order to the North Pole. They launch a final assault on the workshop, using all their skills and resources to defeat the princesses and their minions. In the end, the heroes emerge victorious and are hailed as heroes by the elves and all the other Christmas creatures. The adventure concludes with the heroes being invited to join Mickey Mouse and the other Disney characters as they celebrate the holiday season and honor the memory of Santa Claus.

Regenerate response

Reynard

Legend
Could Hasbro hire an informatic team to design an IA for solo-quests in their VTT?
I am curious if companies or even individuals can create their own AI trained on material they own. Imagine, for example, the Tolkien estate training an AI on all of the Professor's work and notes, plus all the public domain material that influenced him, and then just started generating "new" material. Or James Patterson or Tom Clancy. Or NBC sitcoms.

I have a pretty big body of fragments, unfinished tales and unpublished novels and stories. Could I combine that with public domain works, train an AI, and use it to generate stories that I then curate and edit? Would that be ethical? Would it be art?

An AI could writte all the timeline of a fictional world, conquers, wars, weddings of kings, epidemics... discoveries...

I don't reject the idea of AI writting a sketch or outline for the initial brainstorm, but the humans should put the final touches, and maybe adding some plot-twist (for example that character is a traitor working for a secret enemy).

Will we watch AI creating family-sitcoms with machinima based in the Sims?

---

Discover the trailer for “Diary of Sisyphus”, the first feature film entirely written by an artificial intelligence.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
What I like about Canva's AI is that it is intended to give prompts to unlock writers block or to just save time.

Whereas ChatGPT is attempting to be human in its conversations.

I'd rather be helped than replaced

Steel_Wind

Legend
My point is, if you are strapped for inspiration, throwing out a few well crafted prompts and follow ups can provide more than a list of existing D&D settings. I wouldn't ask AI to write a campaign or adventure for me, but I would certainly use it for inspiration if I was suffering from writers block.
We have seen books of tables to create adventure seeds or NPC quirks be immensely popular among home brewers, especially the Iron DM types who prefer spontaneous, ad lib play. The sort of details that current AI throws out after drilling down just a bit may not be terribly original, but how various tropes mesh together in a particular place can be unique enough that it is more than sufficient to many.

Hell, many grognards here paid good money for Judges Guild products for OD&D and 1st ed AD&D which provided less detail (and originality) than the Chat AI examples above do.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Wow! ChatGPT is pretty good.

Prompt: write a unique magical artifact for D&D

Sure! Here is a unique magical artifact for D&D:

The Amulet of the Endless Void

This ancient, obsidian amulet is said to be imbued with the power of the void itself. It appears as a simple, black stone pendant on a chain, but its true power is revealed when it is activated.

When the wearer of the amulet speaks the command word, they are able to open a small portal to the void. This portal is small enough to fit a single hand through, but it is capable of sucking in objects and creatures that are within a few feet of it.

The void is a realm of nothingness, and anything that is sucked into it is essentially erased from existence. The amulet can be used to dispose of unwanted objects or to eliminate threats, but it should be used with caution, as the effects are permanent and cannot be undone.

The amulet also has a limited number of uses, typically around 3-5, before it must be recharged by a powerful magical being or artifact. It is said that the amulet was created by a group of powerful mages as a means of disposing of powerful magical artifacts that they feared could fall into the wrong hands.

The Amulet of the Endless Void is highly sought after by those who seek ultimate power and control, but it is also feared for its destructive potential. It is often guarded by powerful guardians and hidden in secret locations to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.

Remove ads