D&D General AI isn't all that great when it comes to D&D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I have found that the gloss comes off ChatGPT pretty quickly if you reroll the same prompt a couple of times. Typically it swaps out some nouns madlibs style, but isn't otherwise very creative.

However, it is really fun as a chill, guided text adventure style game.
Yeah. I can give it different general guidance and let it fill in different specifics. It seems good for inspiration, but not for finished stuff.

Clint_L

Hero
I have found that the gloss comes off ChatGPT pretty quickly if you reroll the same prompt a couple of times. Typically it swaps out some nouns madlibs style, but isn't otherwise very creative.

However, it is really fun as a chill, guided text adventure style game.
This is true.

But.

The reason I became interested is because I teach a subject, IB Theory of Knowledge, for which 2/3 of the assessment is a final essay, externally marked, in which students write on one of 6 different prompts, personal voice, maximum 1600 words. They are expected to show originality, critical thinking, refer to ToK concepts and expert knowers in their chosen fields, real life examples, and both arguments and counterarguments.

So I wanted to see how the AI could do, because obviously it is a problem if the students can just get an AI to write the essay for them.

And my initial findings reflect what you point out, to the extent that I am comfortable that I can recognize the AI's response to the essay prompts right away. Especially if the student just feeds in the prompt.

Yet then I started trying to go more granular. I started feeding it more specific prompts, going paragraph by paragraph and asking it to include particular types of details and specific thinkers or examples. Within an hour, I had learned enough to get it to craft a pretty original essay that would earn a decent mark. I am going to keep pushing to see how good I can get it.

This process depends on me being an expert in the subject, so for now I think our essays are safe. That stated, this is early days, and after just a few days of play with the AI, I am increasingly of the belief that within a few years, they will be as good as most humans at tasks like this. And then better.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I had it build an adventure about 10 days ago. I had posted in to a Discord to discuss, which is where the numbering and the time prompts are from. I told it to use 5 Room Dungeons, asked clarification on NPCs to get details, etc. My questions will be bolded, and often I put before them (comments) for the upcoming bit.
  1. [3:20 PM]
    Design a D&D adventure featuring aberrations using the Five Room Dungeon principles Here is a possible Five Room Dungeon adventure featuring aberrations: Title: "The Mad God's Menagerie" The Hook: The characters are hired by a wealthy collector to retrieve a rare and valuable aberration egg from a dangerous ruin. The collector offers a generous reward and promises to provide the characters with all the information and equipment they need for the mission. The Entrance: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment and avoid or defeat the guardians of the ruin to reach the entrance. The Puzzle: Inside the ruin, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. The Battle: The chamber is guarded by a powerful aberration, such as a mind flayer or a beholder, and its minions. The characters must use their wits and combat skills to defeat the aberration and its allies and claim the aberration egg. The Reward: The characters successfully retrieve the aberration egg and receive their reward from the collector. However, they soon realize that the egg is not as valuable as they thought, and that the real prize is the knowledge and power they have gained from their adventure. They must decide what to do with this newfound power and whether to continue exploring the ruin or leave it behind.

2. [3:20 PM]
    -- (Oh look, a typo. It handled it.) Please expand of the 3rd room. The third room in the adventure, "The Mad God's Menagerie," is the puzzle room. In this room, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. For example, the characters might need to find and arrange a set of magical runes in the correct order to activate a magical key that opens the door. Alternatively, the characters might need to solve a complex riddle inscribed on the walls of the room, which reveals the location of a hidden lever that unlocks the door. To make the puzzle more challenging, the room might be filled with hazards and distractions. For example, the floor might be covered in traps, such as spikes or poison gas, that the characters must avoid while solving the puzzle. Additionally, the room might be guarded by animated statues or other magical defenses that attack the characters while they are trying to solve the puzzle. Overall, the puzzle room presents a mental challenge for the characters, requiring them to use their intelligence, creativity, and problem-solving skills to unlock the door and progress to the next room.
  3. [3:20 PM]
    -- Suggest a puzzle for the room. One possible puzzle for the third room in the adventure, "The Mad God's Menagerie," is as follows: The characters enter the puzzle room and find a large, circular chamber with a door at the far end. In front of the door is a pedestal with a glowing crystal on top. The crystal is the key to unlocking the door, but it is protected by a magical barrier that prevents anyone from touching it. The characters must find a way to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. To do this, they must solve a series of riddles inscribed on the walls of the room. Each riddle describes a hidden object or mechanism in the room, and the characters must find and activate all of these objects in the correct order to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. For example, the first riddle might say: "The first step to unlock the barrier is to find the hidden lever that controls the flow of magic. It is hidden among the roots of the tree that stands in the center of the room." The characters must search the room and find the tree, which is actually a cleverly disguised magical construct. Among its roots, they will find a hidden lever that they must pull to activate the first step of the puzzle. The other riddles might describe other hidden objects or mechanisms in the room, such as a secret panel in the wall that reveals a switch, or a pressure plate on the floor that activates a magical device. The characters must solve all of the riddles and activate all of the hidden objects in the correct order to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. If the characters fail to solve the puzzle or make a mistake, they might trigger a trap or encounter a dangerous creature that attacks them. They must use their wits and ingenuity to solve the puzzle and progress to the next room.
  4. [3:21 PM]
    -- (A response showing it doesn't know the exact rules.) Pick monsters for room 4 that would be a Hard encounter for a party of five 8th level characters. Here are three possible monsters that could make a hard encounter for a party of five 8th level characters in the fourth room of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": A beholder: A beholder is a powerful aberration with a central eye that can shoot deadly rays, and ten smaller eyes that grant it various magical abilities, such as levitation, telekinesis, and mind control. A beholder is a formidable opponent for a party of 8th level characters, as its various eye powers can disrupt their spells and abilities, and its central eye can deal a devastating amount of damage. A group of mind flayers: Mind flayers are humanoid aberrations with elongated heads and tentacles, known for their intelligence and psionic powers. A group of mind flayers could make a hard encounter for a party of 8th level characters, as they can use their psionic abilities to control and manipulate the minds of the characters, and their tentacles can deal a lot of damage in combat. A gauth: A gauth is a small aberration with multiple eyes and powerful telepathic abilities. A gauth is not very powerful in combat, but it can use its telepathy to control the minds of the characters, making them attack each other or turn against the party. A gauth could make a hard encounter for a party of 8th level characters if it manages to control several of their members and turn them against the party.
  5. [3:22 PM]
    -- What would be a good twist ending to the adventure? A good twist ending for the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could involve the collector who hired the characters revealing that he is not who he appears to be. He could be revealed to be an aberration in disguise, using the characters to retrieve the aberration egg for his own nefarious purposes. The twist could be revealed when the characters return to the collector with the aberration egg. Instead of paying them the promised reward, the collector could reveal his true form and attack the characters. The characters must then use the knowledge and power they have gained from their adventure to defeat the collector and foil his plans. Alternatively, the twist could involve the aberration egg itself. The egg could hatch during the adventure, revealing that it contains a powerful and malevolent aberration that the characters must defeat. This could add an extra layer of challenge to the adventure, as the characters must not only defeat the collector and his minions, but also the newly hatched aberration. Overall, a twist ending can add a surprising and unexpected turn to the adventure, challenging the characters and forcing them to adapt and overcome new obstacles in order to succeed.

6. [3:22 PM]
    -- Please detail the Collector, including name and personality traits. The collector who hires the characters in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could be named Andros the Acquisitor. Andros is a wealthy and eccentric collector of rare and valuable items, and he is willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can help him acquire a rare and valuable aberration egg. Andros is a cunning and manipulative individual, who uses his wealth and charm to manipulate others and get what he wants. He is driven by his obsession with acquiring rare and valuable objects, and he is willing to go to great lengths to add new items to his collection. He is also ruthless and cunning, and he will not hesitate to use violence or deception to achieve his goals. Despite his selfish and ruthless nature, Andros is also charming and charismatic, and he is skilled at manipulating people and making them do his bidding. He uses his charm and charisma to lure the characters into accepting his mission and to gain their trust, but he ultimately has no loyalty to them and will turn on them if it serves his interests.
  7. [3:22 PM]
    -- Describe Andros physically including his clothes. Andros the Acquisitor is a middle-aged human male, with short black hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He is well-dressed and wears expensive clothes, such as a tailored suit, a silk shirt, and a pair of polished leather shoes. He carries himself with an air of confidence and sophistication, and he exudes a sense of power and authority. Andros is also very particular about his appearance, and he takes great care to maintain his well-groomed and stylish appearance. He wears a number of accessories, such as a gold watch, a diamond ring, and a monocle, which add to his sophisticated and wealthy image. Overall, Andros is a physically imposing and stylish figure, who uses his appearance and charm to manipulate and deceive those around him. He is the perfect example of a wealthy and powerful collector, who will stop at nothing to acquire the objects of his obsession.
  8. [3:22 PM]
    -- Assume Andros has a half-elven daughter who will help the adventurers. Please detail and describe her. Andros the Acquisitor's daughter could be named Eira. She is a half-elven woman, with long silver hair, pale skin, and piercing green eyes. She is tall and slender, with an elegant and graceful bearing. She is well-educated and well-spoken, and she has a sharp mind and a quick wit. Eira is the opposite of her father in many ways. She is kind, compassionate, and empathetic, and she is disgusted by her father's selfish and ruthless nature. She has a strong sense of justice and morality, and she wants to use her talents and abilities to help others and make the world a better place. Eira has also inherited her father's love of rare and valuable objects, and she is a skilled appraiser and negotiator. She uses her knowledge and expertise to help the characters on their mission, providing them with valuable information and advice on how to find and retrieve the aberration egg. She also helps them navigate the dangerous ruins and evade or defeat the guardians of the egg. In terms of appearance, Eira is dressed in practical but fashionable clothes, such as a leather jacket, a pair of sturdy boots, and a pair of gloves. She carries a backpack with all the tools and equipment she needs for her work, and she is armed with a bow and a quiver of arrows. Overall, Eira is a strong, intelligent, and resourceful ally for the characters, who helps them on their mission and provides a contrast to her father's ruthless and manipulative nature.
  9. [3:23 PM]
    -- What is so special about the egg that it has come to Andros' attention? The aberration egg that Andros the Acquisitor wants to acquire is special for several reasons. First, it is extremely rare and valuable, as it is the only known egg of its kind. This makes it a valuable addition to Andros' collection, and he is willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can retrieve it for him. Second, the egg is said to contain a powerful and malevolent aberration, which has the potential to become a deadly and destructive force if it hatches. This makes the egg a potential threat, and Andros wants to acquire it in order to control and contain the aberration within. Third, the egg is protected by powerful magic, which makes it difficult to retrieve and transport. This adds to its value and rarity, and it makes the challenge of retrieving the egg even greater. Overall, the aberration egg is a rare and valuable object that is coveted by collectors like Andros, and it presents a great challenge and opportunity for adventurers like the characters.
  10. [3:23 PM]
    -- Who protected the egg in the first place? It is not clear who protected the aberration egg in the first place, but it is likely that it was protected by a powerful and malevolent entity. This could be the aberration whose egg it is, or it could be a different aberration that wants to use the egg for its own purposes. For example, the egg could be protected by a powerful mind flayer, who uses its telepathic abilities to control the guardians of the egg and prevent anyone from stealing it. Alternatively, the egg could be protected by a powerful beholder, who uses its various eye powers to defend the egg and keep it safe from intruders. In any case, whoever protected the egg did so for their own reasons, and they will not take kindly to anyone who tries to steal it. The characters will have to face the guardians of the egg and overcome their challenges in order to retrieve the egg and complete their mission.
  11. [3:24 PM]
    -- (This one has a big typo - I misspelled Entrance and then accidentally picked Utterance as the spellcheck replacement. But look how it makes assumptions and handles it.) Specifically what challenges protect The Utterance? It is not clear what "The Utterance" is, as it was not mentioned in the previous answers. However, if "The Utterance" refers to the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie," then the challenges that protect it could include the following: The ruin where the egg is located: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment and avoid or defeat the guardians of the ruin to reach the entrance. The puzzle room: Inside the ruin, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. The guardians of the egg: The chamber where the egg is kept is guarded by powerful aberrations, such as mind flayers or beholders, and their minions. The characters must use their wits and combat skills to defeat the guardians and claim the egg. Overall, the challenges that protect The Utterance are varied and dangerous, and the characters must overcome them in order to retrieve the egg and complete their mission.

12. [3:25 PM]
    -- Specifically what challenges protect The Entrance? The challenges that protect the entrance to the ruin in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could include the following: The environment: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment, such as steep cliffs, deep ravines, and shifting sands, to reach the entrance. The guardians of the ruin: The entrance to the ruin is guarded by powerful and dangerous creatures, such as hydras, mummies, or trolls. These guardians are tasked with protecting the entrance and preventing intruders from entering the ruin. The characters must defeat or evade these guardians in order to reach the entrance. The entrance itself: The entrance to the ruin is hidden and well-defended. It might be disguised as a natural feature, such as a cave or a crevice, or it might be hidden behind a magical illusion or a powerful ward. The characters must use their skills and knowledge to find and unlock the entrance, in order to gain access to the ruin. Overall, the challenges that protect the entrance to the ruin are diverse and challenging, and the characters must use their ingenuity, skill, and determination to overcome them and reach the entrance.
  13. [3:25 PM]
    -- Write a letter from Andros to the Adventurers inviting them to recover the egg for him, including listing a reward of gold and magical items. Dear Adventurers, I am Andros the Acquisitor, a collector of rare and valuable objects. I have heard of your skills and expertise, and I have a mission that I believe you are well-suited for. I am seeking a rare and valuable aberration egg, and I am willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can retrieve it for me. The egg is located in a dangerous ruin, and it is protected by powerful guardians and traps. I will provide you with all the information and equipment you need to find and retrieve the egg, but the mission will be dangerous and challenging. If you are successful, I will reward you with a large sum of gold, as well as a selection of magical items from my collection. If you are interested in this mission, please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to working with you and adding the aberration egg to my collection. Sincerely, Andros the Acquisitor
  14. [3:25 PM]
    -- List the magical items from his collection he would be willing to reward the party with. If the characters are successful in the mission to retrieve the aberration egg for Andros the Acquisitor, he could reward them with the following magical items from his collection: A wand of fireball: This wand allows the user to cast the fireball spell, which creates a burst of flame that deals a large amount of damage to enemies in a 20-foot radius. A ring of regeneration: This ring allows the user to regenerate their wounds and regain lost hit points at an accelerated rate. The ring also grants immunity to poison and the ability to regrow lost limbs. A potion of invisibility: This potion allows the user to become invisible for a short period of time, making them difficult to detect and attack. The potion also grants the user the ability to move silently and pass through solid objects. A cloak of displacement: This cloak causes the user to appear in a different location than their actual location, making them harder to hit in combat. The cloak also grants the user the ability to blur their image, making them harder to see. A staff of power: This staff allows the user to cast a variety of powerful spells, such as fireball, lightning bolt, and teleport. The staff also grants the user access to additional spells as they gain levels. Overall, these magical items are powerful and valuable, and they can provide the characters with a significant advantage in combat and other challenges. They are a fitting reward for the characters' success in retrieving the aberration egg for Andros.

15. [3:30 PM]
    -- (Another typo - instead of minstrels I wrote mistrals. Google has confirmed that mistrals are elementals of mist and frigid wind, which I didn't know.) write a song the mistrals would sing about the Adventurers if they were successful in retrieving the egg. Here is a possible song that the mistrals, a race of air elementals, might sing about the adventurers if they are successful in retrieving the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": We sing of brave adventurers, Who faced the dangers of the wild, To retrieve a rare and valuable egg, Protected by powerful guardians, traps, and spells. They braved the ruins, the puzzles, and the beasts, To claim the prize and earn their reward, A rich and powerful collector, Who sought the egg to add to his hoard. The mistrals, the winds of the sky, Saw the adventurers on their quest, And they sang a song of their bravery, As they faced the challenges and passed the test. They fought with courage and skill, And they triumphed over their foes, They claimed the egg and the treasure, And they earned the mistrals' applause. So let us sing of the adventurers, Who braved the dangers and the risks, To claim the prize and the treasure, And to earn the accolades of the mistrals.

16. [3:31 PM]
    -- (while trite, this was amusing) Give three common catchphrases that Eira would use while helping to recover the egg. Here are three possible catchphrases that Eira, the daughter of Andros the Acquisitor, might use while helping the adventurers recover the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": 1. "Follow my lead." Eira is a skilled and experienced appraiser and negotiator, and she uses her knowledge and expertise to help the characters on their mission. She might use this catchphrase to indicate that she knows the best way to approach a situation, and that the characters should follow her instructions and guidance. 2. "Watch out for traps." Eira is aware of the dangers and challenges that the characters will face in the ruin, and she uses her knowledge and experience to warn them about the various traps and hazards they might encounter. She might use this catchphrase to remind the characters to be cautious and vigilant, and to avoid triggering any traps or hazards. 3. "Leave this to me." Eira is a skilled archer and a competent combatant, and she is able to handle herself in dangerous situations. She might use this catchphrase to indicate that she is capable of dealing with a particular threat or challenge, and that the characters should let her handle it. This could be useful when the characters are facing powerful guardians or traps, and Eira is able to handle them more effectively than the characters.

17. [3:34 PM]
    -- (this was a bit of a lead, but it worked well with it) Does the title of the adventure imply that there are other creatures to be found to create a menagerie, and that they were all hidden by a Mad God? The title of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" implies that there are other creatures to be found in the adventure, and that they were all hidden or collected by a Mad God. This suggests that the adventure involves exploring a collection of exotic and dangerous creatures, and that the characters must face and overcome these creatures to complete their mission. The Mad God referred to in the title could be the creator or curator of the menagerie, and it could be an ancient and powerful deity or aberration. The Mad God could have hidden or collected the various creatures in the menagerie for its own purposes, such as to create a personal army or to conduct experiments. Alternatively, the Mad God could be a metaphor for the madness and chaos that the creatures in the menagerie represent. The Mad God could represent the danger and unpredictability of the creatures, and the characters must face and overcome this madness in order to succeed in their mission. Overall, the title of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" implies that there are other creatures to be found in the adventure, and that they are connected to a powerful and malevolent force. The characters must face and overcome these creatures in order to complete their mission.

18. [3:36 PM]
    -- (a bit of a punt, but still did give suggestions.) What clue do the adventurers find that will lead them to the next creature in the menagerie? It is not clear what specific clues the adventurers might find that would lead them to the next creature in the menagerie in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie." This would depend on the specific layout and design of the adventure, and on the clues and information that the characters uncover during their exploration of the ruin. However, here are some possible clues that the characters might find that would lead them to the next creature in the menagerie: A map or diagram: The characters might find a map or diagram of the ruin, which shows the location of the various creatures in the menagerie. This could be a hand-drawn map, a magical map, or a detailed schematic of the ruin. A journal or diary: The characters might find a journal or diary written by the Mad God or by one of its minions, which contains information about the creatures in the menagerie and their locations. This could provide valuable insights and clues about the creatures and their abilities. A mysterious object: The characters might find a mysterious object, such as a key, a talisman, or a relic, which provides a clue or a hint about the location of the next creature in the menagerie. This object could be hidden in a secret compartment, behind a puzzle, or in the possession of a defeated guardian. Overall, the clues that the characters find will depend on the specific design and story of the adventure, and on the choices and actions of the characters. These clues will help the characters navigate the ruin and find the next creature in the menagerie, as they seek to complete their mission.

Nifty, especially when drilling down.

Reynard

Legend
I had it build an adventure about 10 days ago. I had posted in to a Discord to discuss, which is where the numbering and the time prompts are from. I told it to use 5 Room Dungeons, asked clarification on NPCs to get details, etc. My questions will be bolded, and often I put before them (comments) for the upcoming bit.
    Design a D&D adventure featuring aberrations using the Five Room Dungeon principles Here is a possible Five Room Dungeon adventure featuring aberrations: Title: "The Mad God's Menagerie" The Hook: The characters are hired by a wealthy collector to retrieve a rare and valuable aberration egg from a dangerous ruin. The collector offers a generous reward and promises to provide the characters with all the information and equipment they need for the mission. The Entrance: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment and avoid or defeat the guardians of the ruin to reach the entrance. The Puzzle: Inside the ruin, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. The Battle: The chamber is guarded by a powerful aberration, such as a mind flayer or a beholder, and its minions. The characters must use their wits and combat skills to defeat the aberration and its allies and claim the aberration egg. The Reward: The characters successfully retrieve the aberration egg and receive their reward from the collector. However, they soon realize that the egg is not as valuable as they thought, and that the real prize is the knowledge and power they have gained from their adventure. They must decide what to do with this newfound power and whether to continue exploring the ruin or leave it behind.

-- (Oh look, a typo. It handled it.) Please expand of the 3rd room. The third room in the adventure, "The Mad God's Menagerie," is the puzzle room. In this room, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. For example, the characters might need to find and arrange a set of magical runes in the correct order to activate a magical key that opens the door. Alternatively, the characters might need to solve a complex riddle inscribed on the walls of the room, which reveals the location of a hidden lever that unlocks the door. To make the puzzle more challenging, the room might be filled with hazards and distractions. For example, the floor might be covered in traps, such as spikes or poison gas, that the characters must avoid while solving the puzzle. Additionally, the room might be guarded by animated statues or other magical defenses that attack the characters while they are trying to solve the puzzle. Overall, the puzzle room presents a mental challenge for the characters, requiring them to use their intelligence, creativity, and problem-solving skills to unlock the door and progress to the next room.
    -- Suggest a puzzle for the room. One possible puzzle for the third room in the adventure, "The Mad God's Menagerie," is as follows: The characters enter the puzzle room and find a large, circular chamber with a door at the far end. In front of the door is a pedestal with a glowing crystal on top. The crystal is the key to unlocking the door, but it is protected by a magical barrier that prevents anyone from touching it. The characters must find a way to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. To do this, they must solve a series of riddles inscribed on the walls of the room. Each riddle describes a hidden object or mechanism in the room, and the characters must find and activate all of these objects in the correct order to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. For example, the first riddle might say: "The first step to unlock the barrier is to find the hidden lever that controls the flow of magic. It is hidden among the roots of the tree that stands in the center of the room." The characters must search the room and find the tree, which is actually a cleverly disguised magical construct. Among its roots, they will find a hidden lever that they must pull to activate the first step of the puzzle. The other riddles might describe other hidden objects or mechanisms in the room, such as a secret panel in the wall that reveals a switch, or a pressure plate on the floor that activates a magical device. The characters must solve all of the riddles and activate all of the hidden objects in the correct order to disable the barrier and retrieve the crystal. If the characters fail to solve the puzzle or make a mistake, they might trigger a trap or encounter a dangerous creature that attacks them. They must use their wits and ingenuity to solve the puzzle and progress to the next room.
    -- (A response showing it doesn't know the exact rules.) Pick monsters for room 4 that would be a Hard encounter for a party of five 8th level characters. Here are three possible monsters that could make a hard encounter for a party of five 8th level characters in the fourth room of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": A beholder: A beholder is a powerful aberration with a central eye that can shoot deadly rays, and ten smaller eyes that grant it various magical abilities, such as levitation, telekinesis, and mind control. A beholder is a formidable opponent for a party of 8th level characters, as its various eye powers can disrupt their spells and abilities, and its central eye can deal a devastating amount of damage. A group of mind flayers: Mind flayers are humanoid aberrations with elongated heads and tentacles, known for their intelligence and psionic powers. A group of mind flayers could make a hard encounter for a party of 8th level characters, as they can use their psionic abilities to control and manipulate the minds of the characters, and their tentacles can deal a lot of damage in combat. A gauth: A gauth is a small aberration with multiple eyes and powerful telepathic abilities. A gauth is not very powerful in combat, but it can use its telepathy to control the minds of the characters, making them attack each other or turn against the party. A gauth could make a hard encounter for a party of 8th level characters if it manages to control several of their members and turn them against the party.
    -- What would be a good twist ending to the adventure? A good twist ending for the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could involve the collector who hired the characters revealing that he is not who he appears to be. He could be revealed to be an aberration in disguise, using the characters to retrieve the aberration egg for his own nefarious purposes. The twist could be revealed when the characters return to the collector with the aberration egg. Instead of paying them the promised reward, the collector could reveal his true form and attack the characters. The characters must then use the knowledge and power they have gained from their adventure to defeat the collector and foil his plans. Alternatively, the twist could involve the aberration egg itself. The egg could hatch during the adventure, revealing that it contains a powerful and malevolent aberration that the characters must defeat. This could add an extra layer of challenge to the adventure, as the characters must not only defeat the collector and his minions, but also the newly hatched aberration. Overall, a twist ending can add a surprising and unexpected turn to the adventure, challenging the characters and forcing them to adapt and overcome new obstacles in order to succeed.

-- Please detail the Collector, including name and personality traits. The collector who hires the characters in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could be named Andros the Acquisitor. Andros is a wealthy and eccentric collector of rare and valuable items, and he is willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can help him acquire a rare and valuable aberration egg. Andros is a cunning and manipulative individual, who uses his wealth and charm to manipulate others and get what he wants. He is driven by his obsession with acquiring rare and valuable objects, and he is willing to go to great lengths to add new items to his collection. He is also ruthless and cunning, and he will not hesitate to use violence or deception to achieve his goals. Despite his selfish and ruthless nature, Andros is also charming and charismatic, and he is skilled at manipulating people and making them do his bidding. He uses his charm and charisma to lure the characters into accepting his mission and to gain their trust, but he ultimately has no loyalty to them and will turn on them if it serves his interests.
    -- Describe Andros physically including his clothes. Andros the Acquisitor is a middle-aged human male, with short black hair and a neatly trimmed beard. He is well-dressed and wears expensive clothes, such as a tailored suit, a silk shirt, and a pair of polished leather shoes. He carries himself with an air of confidence and sophistication, and he exudes a sense of power and authority. Andros is also very particular about his appearance, and he takes great care to maintain his well-groomed and stylish appearance. He wears a number of accessories, such as a gold watch, a diamond ring, and a monocle, which add to his sophisticated and wealthy image. Overall, Andros is a physically imposing and stylish figure, who uses his appearance and charm to manipulate and deceive those around him. He is the perfect example of a wealthy and powerful collector, who will stop at nothing to acquire the objects of his obsession.
    -- Assume Andros has a half-elven daughter who will help the adventurers. Please detail and describe her. Andros the Acquisitor's daughter could be named Eira. She is a half-elven woman, with long silver hair, pale skin, and piercing green eyes. She is tall and slender, with an elegant and graceful bearing. She is well-educated and well-spoken, and she has a sharp mind and a quick wit. Eira is the opposite of her father in many ways. She is kind, compassionate, and empathetic, and she is disgusted by her father's selfish and ruthless nature. She has a strong sense of justice and morality, and she wants to use her talents and abilities to help others and make the world a better place. Eira has also inherited her father's love of rare and valuable objects, and she is a skilled appraiser and negotiator. She uses her knowledge and expertise to help the characters on their mission, providing them with valuable information and advice on how to find and retrieve the aberration egg. She also helps them navigate the dangerous ruins and evade or defeat the guardians of the egg. In terms of appearance, Eira is dressed in practical but fashionable clothes, such as a leather jacket, a pair of sturdy boots, and a pair of gloves. She carries a backpack with all the tools and equipment she needs for her work, and she is armed with a bow and a quiver of arrows. Overall, Eira is a strong, intelligent, and resourceful ally for the characters, who helps them on their mission and provides a contrast to her father's ruthless and manipulative nature.
    -- What is so special about the egg that it has come to Andros' attention? The aberration egg that Andros the Acquisitor wants to acquire is special for several reasons. First, it is extremely rare and valuable, as it is the only known egg of its kind. This makes it a valuable addition to Andros' collection, and he is willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can retrieve it for him. Second, the egg is said to contain a powerful and malevolent aberration, which has the potential to become a deadly and destructive force if it hatches. This makes the egg a potential threat, and Andros wants to acquire it in order to control and contain the aberration within. Third, the egg is protected by powerful magic, which makes it difficult to retrieve and transport. This adds to its value and rarity, and it makes the challenge of retrieving the egg even greater. Overall, the aberration egg is a rare and valuable object that is coveted by collectors like Andros, and it presents a great challenge and opportunity for adventurers like the characters.
    -- Who protected the egg in the first place? It is not clear who protected the aberration egg in the first place, but it is likely that it was protected by a powerful and malevolent entity. This could be the aberration whose egg it is, or it could be a different aberration that wants to use the egg for its own purposes. For example, the egg could be protected by a powerful mind flayer, who uses its telepathic abilities to control the guardians of the egg and prevent anyone from stealing it. Alternatively, the egg could be protected by a powerful beholder, who uses its various eye powers to defend the egg and keep it safe from intruders. In any case, whoever protected the egg did so for their own reasons, and they will not take kindly to anyone who tries to steal it. The characters will have to face the guardians of the egg and overcome their challenges in order to retrieve the egg and complete their mission.
    -- (This one has a big typo - I misspelled Entrance and then accidentally picked Utterance as the spellcheck replacement. But look how it makes assumptions and handles it.) Specifically what challenges protect The Utterance? It is not clear what "The Utterance" is, as it was not mentioned in the previous answers. However, if "The Utterance" refers to the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie," then the challenges that protect it could include the following: The ruin where the egg is located: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment and avoid or defeat the guardians of the ruin to reach the entrance. The puzzle room: Inside the ruin, the characters must solve a complex puzzle or riddle to unlock the door to the chamber where the aberration egg is kept. The puzzle might involve finding hidden clues, deciphering ancient inscriptions, or manipulating magical devices. The guardians of the egg: The chamber where the egg is kept is guarded by powerful aberrations, such as mind flayers or beholders, and their minions. The characters must use their wits and combat skills to defeat the guardians and claim the egg. Overall, the challenges that protect The Utterance are varied and dangerous, and the characters must overcome them in order to retrieve the egg and complete their mission.

-- Specifically what challenges protect The Entrance? The challenges that protect the entrance to the ruin in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" could include the following: The environment: The ruin is located in a remote and inhospitable place, surrounded by treacherous terrain and dangerous creatures. The characters must navigate the challenges of the environment, such as steep cliffs, deep ravines, and shifting sands, to reach the entrance. The guardians of the ruin: The entrance to the ruin is guarded by powerful and dangerous creatures, such as hydras, mummies, or trolls. These guardians are tasked with protecting the entrance and preventing intruders from entering the ruin. The characters must defeat or evade these guardians in order to reach the entrance. The entrance itself: The entrance to the ruin is hidden and well-defended. It might be disguised as a natural feature, such as a cave or a crevice, or it might be hidden behind a magical illusion or a powerful ward. The characters must use their skills and knowledge to find and unlock the entrance, in order to gain access to the ruin. Overall, the challenges that protect the entrance to the ruin are diverse and challenging, and the characters must use their ingenuity, skill, and determination to overcome them and reach the entrance.
    -- Write a letter from Andros to the Adventurers inviting them to recover the egg for him, including listing a reward of gold and magical items. Dear Adventurers, I am Andros the Acquisitor, a collector of rare and valuable objects. I have heard of your skills and expertise, and I have a mission that I believe you are well-suited for. I am seeking a rare and valuable aberration egg, and I am willing to pay a generous reward to anyone who can retrieve it for me. The egg is located in a dangerous ruin, and it is protected by powerful guardians and traps. I will provide you with all the information and equipment you need to find and retrieve the egg, but the mission will be dangerous and challenging. If you are successful, I will reward you with a large sum of gold, as well as a selection of magical items from my collection. If you are interested in this mission, please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to working with you and adding the aberration egg to my collection. Sincerely, Andros the Acquisitor
    -- List the magical items from his collection he would be willing to reward the party with. If the characters are successful in the mission to retrieve the aberration egg for Andros the Acquisitor, he could reward them with the following magical items from his collection: A wand of fireball: This wand allows the user to cast the fireball spell, which creates a burst of flame that deals a large amount of damage to enemies in a 20-foot radius. A ring of regeneration: This ring allows the user to regenerate their wounds and regain lost hit points at an accelerated rate. The ring also grants immunity to poison and the ability to regrow lost limbs. A potion of invisibility: This potion allows the user to become invisible for a short period of time, making them difficult to detect and attack. The potion also grants the user the ability to move silently and pass through solid objects. A cloak of displacement: This cloak causes the user to appear in a different location than their actual location, making them harder to hit in combat. The cloak also grants the user the ability to blur their image, making them harder to see. A staff of power: This staff allows the user to cast a variety of powerful spells, such as fireball, lightning bolt, and teleport. The staff also grants the user access to additional spells as they gain levels. Overall, these magical items are powerful and valuable, and they can provide the characters with a significant advantage in combat and other challenges. They are a fitting reward for the characters' success in retrieving the aberration egg for Andros.

-- (Another typo - instead of minstrels I wrote mistrals. Google has confirmed that mistrals are elementals of mist and frigid wind, which I didn't know.) write a song the mistrals would sing about the Adventurers if they were successful in retrieving the egg. Here is a possible song that the mistrals, a race of air elementals, might sing about the adventurers if they are successful in retrieving the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": We sing of brave adventurers, Who faced the dangers of the wild, To retrieve a rare and valuable egg, Protected by powerful guardians, traps, and spells. They braved the ruins, the puzzles, and the beasts, To claim the prize and earn their reward, A rich and powerful collector, Who sought the egg to add to his hoard. The mistrals, the winds of the sky, Saw the adventurers on their quest, And they sang a song of their bravery, As they faced the challenges and passed the test. They fought with courage and skill, And they triumphed over their foes, They claimed the egg and the treasure, And they earned the mistrals' applause. So let us sing of the adventurers, Who braved the dangers and the risks, To claim the prize and the treasure, And to earn the accolades of the mistrals.

-- (while trite, this was amusing) Give three common catchphrases that Eira would use while helping to recover the egg. Here are three possible catchphrases that Eira, the daughter of Andros the Acquisitor, might use while helping the adventurers recover the aberration egg in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie": 1. "Follow my lead." Eira is a skilled and experienced appraiser and negotiator, and she uses her knowledge and expertise to help the characters on their mission. She might use this catchphrase to indicate that she knows the best way to approach a situation, and that the characters should follow her instructions and guidance. 2. "Watch out for traps." Eira is aware of the dangers and challenges that the characters will face in the ruin, and she uses her knowledge and experience to warn them about the various traps and hazards they might encounter. She might use this catchphrase to remind the characters to be cautious and vigilant, and to avoid triggering any traps or hazards. 3. "Leave this to me." Eira is a skilled archer and a competent combatant, and she is able to handle herself in dangerous situations. She might use this catchphrase to indicate that she is capable of dealing with a particular threat or challenge, and that the characters should let her handle it. This could be useful when the characters are facing powerful guardians or traps, and Eira is able to handle them more effectively than the characters.

-- (this was a bit of a lead, but it worked well with it) Does the title of the adventure imply that there are other creatures to be found to create a menagerie, and that they were all hidden by a Mad God? The title of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" implies that there are other creatures to be found in the adventure, and that they were all hidden or collected by a Mad God. This suggests that the adventure involves exploring a collection of exotic and dangerous creatures, and that the characters must face and overcome these creatures to complete their mission. The Mad God referred to in the title could be the creator or curator of the menagerie, and it could be an ancient and powerful deity or aberration. The Mad God could have hidden or collected the various creatures in the menagerie for its own purposes, such as to create a personal army or to conduct experiments. Alternatively, the Mad God could be a metaphor for the madness and chaos that the creatures in the menagerie represent. The Mad God could represent the danger and unpredictability of the creatures, and the characters must face and overcome this madness in order to succeed in their mission. Overall, the title of the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie" implies that there are other creatures to be found in the adventure, and that they are connected to a powerful and malevolent force. The characters must face and overcome these creatures in order to complete their mission.

-- (a bit of a punt, but still did give suggestions.) What clue do the adventurers find that will lead them to the next creature in the menagerie? It is not clear what specific clues the adventurers might find that would lead them to the next creature in the menagerie in the adventure "The Mad God's Menagerie." This would depend on the specific layout and design of the adventure, and on the clues and information that the characters uncover during their exploration of the ruin. However, here are some possible clues that the characters might find that would lead them to the next creature in the menagerie: A map or diagram: The characters might find a map or diagram of the ruin, which shows the location of the various creatures in the menagerie. This could be a hand-drawn map, a magical map, or a detailed schematic of the ruin. A journal or diary: The characters might find a journal or diary written by the Mad God or by one of its minions, which contains information about the creatures in the menagerie and their locations. This could provide valuable insights and clues about the creatures and their abilities. A mysterious object: The characters might find a mysterious object, such as a key, a talisman, or a relic, which provides a clue or a hint about the location of the next creature in the menagerie. This object could be hidden in a secret compartment, behind a puzzle, or in the possession of a defeated guardian. Overall, the clues that the characters find will depend on the specific design and story of the adventure, and on the choices and actions of the characters. These clues will help the characters navigate the ruin and find the next creature in the menagerie, as they seek to complete their mission.

Is it weird that I heard all the AI responses in Alexa's voice?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Part of what makes ChatGPT different than other human-ish seeming AIs is that it is designed to build off of previous prompts

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Just used ChatGPT for this, with the following prompts. Asked it to re-generate the response just to see how it changed.

Prompt A: "Please invent for me a fantasy setting, appropriate for playing Dungeons and Dragons. Include descriptions of the geography, the kinds of creatures and monsters found in the setting, and the five most common sapient races that live there."
Sure! Here is a fantasy setting I've come up with:
Geography: The continent of Eryndor is a vast and varied land, with rolling hills and grassy plains, dense forests and shadowy swamps, snowy mountains and arid deserts. The central region is dominated by the Great River, which winds its way from the frozen north to the steamy south, dividing the continent in half. On the western side of the river lies the Kingdom of Arvandor, a civilized realm of humans, elves, and dwarves, ruled by a wise and just queen. On the eastern side lies the Wildlands, a lawless frontier inhabited by all manner of creatures, both friendly and fierce.
Creatures and Monsters: Eryndor is home to a wide variety of beasts, both natural and magical. In the forests and fields, one might encounter deer, wolves, bears, and boars, as well as unicorns, pegasi, and dryads. In the swamps and marshes, one might encounter crocodiles, snakes, and giant spiders, as well as hags, werewolves, and ghouls. In the mountains and caves, one might encounter dragons, giants, and trolls, as well as dwarves, gnomes, and kobolds. In the deserts and ruins, one might encounter jackals, scarabs, and mummies, as well as genies, djinn, and efreet.
Sapient Races: The five most common sapient races in Eryndor are humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and halflings. Humans are the most populous and diverse of the races, with a wide range of cultures and traditions. Elves are a long-lived and graceful race, known for their beauty, their love of nature, and their proficiency with magic. Dwarves are a stout and hardy race, known for their skill at craftsmanship and their love of gold. Gnomes are a curious and inventive race, known for their love of art and their affinity for technology. Halflings are a small and nimble race, known for their love of adventure and their knack for thievery.
Sure! Here is a fantasy setting for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign:
Geography: The setting is a vast continent called Eryndor, which is located on the world of Arvandor. The continent is home to a wide range of environments, including dense forests, rolling hills, sprawling grasslands, jagged mountain ranges, and arid deserts. There are also several large bodies of water, including the Endless Sea to the west and the Luminous Ocean to the east.
Creatures and Monsters: Eryndor is home to a diverse array of creatures and monsters. In the dense forests, one might encounter a pack of vicious worgs, or a group of mischievous fey. In the rolling hills, one might encounter a herd of unicorns, or a pack of werewolves. In the sprawling grasslands, one might encounter a pride of lions, or a tribe of centaurs. In the jagged mountain ranges, one might encounter a dragon, or a group of dwarves. In the arid deserts, one might encounter a sandstorm, or a group of nomadic humans.
Sapient Races: Eryndor is home to a variety of sapient races. The five most common are:
  1. Humans: Humans are the most diverse and widespread race on Eryndor, with a variety of cultures and societies. They are known for their adaptability and resourcefulness.
  2. Elves: Elves are a slender and graceful race, with a deep connection to nature. They are known for their agility and keen senses.
  3. Dwarves: Dwarves are a stout and hardy race, with a strong affinity for craftsmanship and engineering. They are known for their resilience and strength.
  4. Halflings: Halflings are a small and nimble race, with a love of adventure and a talent for thievery. They are known for their quick reflexes and stealthy nature.
  5. Dragonborn: Dragonborn are a majestic race, with a strong connection to the elemental forces of the world. They are known for their breath weapons and physical prowess.

Prompt B: "Please invent for me a fantastical setting, appropriate for playing Dungeons and Dragons, that is inspired by the industrial revolution and high fantasy stories of magic. Make sure to describe the environment and geography, the creatures and monsters which live there, and the fragile peace between the five most common sapient races: humans, elves, dragonborn, tieflings, and orcs."
Here is a fantastical setting inspired by the industrial revolution and high fantasy stories of magic:
Geography and Environment: The setting is a vast and sprawling city called Ironforge, which is located on the world of Eldrith. Ironforge is a city of industry and innovation, with steam-powered factories and towering clocktowers. The city is surrounded by a vast wilderness, which is home to a variety of creatures and monsters.
Creatures and Monsters: The wilderness surrounding Ironforge is home to a diverse array of creatures and monsters. In the dense forests, one might encounter a pack of worgs, or a group of mischievous fey. In the rolling hills, one might encounter a herd of unicorns, or a pack of werewolves. In the sprawling grasslands, one might encounter a pride of lions, or a tribe of centaurs. In the jagged mountain ranges, one might encounter a dragon, or a group of dwarves.
Sapient Races: Ironforge is home to a variety of sapient races, which live in a fragile peace. The five most common are:
  1. Humans: Humans are the most diverse and widespread race in Ironforge, with a variety of cultures and societies. They are known for their adaptability and resourcefulness.
  2. Elves: Elves are a slender and graceful race, with a deep connection to nature. They are known for their agility and keen senses.
  3. Dragonborn: Dragonborn are a majestic race, with a strong connection to the elemental forces of the world. They are known for their breath weapons and physical prowess.
  4. Tieflings: Tieflings are a mysterious and misunderstood race, with a reputation for being cunning and manipulative. They are known for their innate magical abilities and their dark, otherworldly appearance.
  5. Orcs: Orcs are a brutal and warlike race, with a reputation for being violent and aggressive. They are known for their physical strength and endurance.
Despite the fragile peace between these races, tensions often run high in Ironforge, as each race struggles to gain power and influence in the city's complex political landscape. The city is also home to a variety of guilds and secret societies, which often compete for control of the city's resources and influence.
Sure! Here is a fantasy setting inspired by the industrial revolution and high fantasy stories of magic:
Geography and Environment: The setting is a sprawling city called Ironforge, located on the world of Arvandor. Ironforge is a hub of industry and innovation, with towering factories and steam-powered machines dotting the landscape. The city is surrounded by a dense forest and rolling hills, which are home to a variety of creatures and monsters.
Creatures and Monsters: Ironforge is home to a variety of creatures and monsters, both mundane and fantastical. In the dense forest, one might encounter a pack of worgs or a group of mischievous fey. In the rolling hills, one might encounter a herd of unicorns or a pack of werewolves. Within the city itself, one might encounter clockwork constructs, steam golems, or other mechanical creations.
Sapient Races: Ironforge is home to a diverse array of sapient races, who have all come to the city seeking opportunity and prosperity. The five most common races are:
  1. Humans: Humans are the most diverse and widespread race in Ironforge, with a variety of cultures and societies. They are known for their adaptability and resourcefulness.
  3. Dragonborn: Dragonborn are a majestic race, with a strong connection to the elemental forces of the world. They are known for their breath weapons and physical prowess.
  4. Tieflings: Tieflings are a mysterious race, with a connection to the planes of the Abyss. They are known for their cunning and magical abilities.
  5. Orcs: Orcs are a fierce and warlike race, with a strong affinity for battle and combat. They are known for their strength and endurance.
Despite the differences between these races, there is a fragile peace in Ironforge. The city is ruled by a council of representatives from each race, and there are strict laws in place to prevent conflict. However, tensions do arise from time to time, and the council must work to maintain the peace in the city.

There's obviously a lot of boilerplate in here (e.g. the racial descriptions, the environmental denizens), and some pretty clearly borrowed names (Arvandor, Ironforge), but frankly these are not half bad in terms of setting prompts. They would absolutely need a lot of human effort and polish to go from "setting concept" to "fleshed-out product," but they're pretty cohesive. I imagine you'd need to do some heavy lifting to add that "spark" that takes it from Generic Fantasy Setting #36 to Exciting World of Fantastical Adventure, but these could be useful for someone who needs a bit of grease for their creative wheels.

It's interesting spotting the AI-ness of it. The words are well structured and make good grammatical sense, but it doesn't reason very deep. Especially when it's provided nouns as prompts, it doesn't dive into the implications of thet things those nouns describe. it's more an exercise in ticking boxes and filling in gaps in the boilerplate.

Another: "Write an outline for a level 5 D&D adventure. It should begin in a town, with the characters in jail. Include a pair of wyverns and, later, a Froghemoth who lives in a swamp. There should be a halfling child named Nona."

Here is an outline for a level 5 D&D adventure:

I. Introduction:

• The characters find themselves in a small town called Oakdale, where they have been arrested for a crime they did not commit.
  • While in jail, they meet a halfling child named Nona, who claims to have witnessed the real perpetrators of the crime.
II. Escape from jail:

• The characters must find a way to escape from jail and clear their names.
  • Nona offers to help them, as she knows a secret tunnel that leads out of the jail.
III. Search for the real perpetrators:

• The characters, with Nona's help, begin to search for the real perpetrators of the crime.
  • They learn that the perpetrators are a group of wyverns who have been terrorizing the town and stealing valuable items.
IV. Confronting the wyverns:

• The characters track down the wyverns to their lair, where they must confront the creatures and retrieve the stolen items.
  • During the confrontation, one of the wyverns is killed, while the other manages to escape.
V. Following the escaped wyvern:

• The characters decide to follow the escaped wyvern, hoping to find more information about the crime and clear their names.
  • They eventually come across a swamp, where they hear rumors of a Froghemoth living in the area.
VI. Confronting the Froghemoth:

• The characters venture into the swamp and eventually find the Froghemoth, who is guarding a treasure hoard.
  • They must defeat the Froghemoth in order to retrieve the stolen items and clear their names.
VII. Conclusion:

• With the stolen items recovered and the Froghemoth defeated, the characters are able to clear their names and return to Oakdale as heroes.
  • Nona thanks the characters for their help and promises to keep in touch.

It doesn't seem to know what a wyvern is clearly (much less a froghemoth!), but also it doesn't provide any connection between the wyvern thieves and the froghemoth who somehow guards the stuff they've been stealing. It isn't yet imaginative enough to think up the specifics of the 'items' that have been stolen, though it WAS able to decide that the PCs are in jail becuase they've been falsely accused, and that the crime the PCs were accused of were theft, rather than murder for instance. An hard-nosed ENWorld Iron DM judge would also point out that Nona is a halfling child, but neither her halflingness nor her child-ness matters to the story.

prompt:

write a D&D one-shot adventure in the world of Christmas. Santa is dead, and Disney Princesses are sent by Mickey Mouse to take over. Include at least one combat encounter, one exploration encounter, and one roleplay encounter

response:

"The Frozen Reign of the Disney Princesses"

Synopsis:
In a world where Christmas is governed by Santa Claus and his team of elves, something has gone terribly wrong. Santa is dead, and in his absence, the Disney Princesses have seized control of the North Pole, declaring themselves the new rulers of Christmas. Mickey Mouse, the leader of the Disney characters, has enlisted a group of heroes to help him take back the North Pole and restore order to the holiday season.

Setting: The adventure takes place in the North Pole, specifically in Santa's Workshop and the surrounding icy tundra. The workshop is filled with all sorts of magical toys and gadgets, as well as a giant toy-making assembly line. Outside, the tundra is a cold and treacherous place, home to all sorts of dangers such as polar bears and snow monsters.

Combat Encounter: As the heroes make their way to the workshop, they are ambushed by a group of Snow Monsters, giant creatures made of ice and snow. The Snow Monsters are loyal to the Disney Princesses and will stop at nothing to prevent the heroes from reaching the workshop.

Exploration Encounter: Once the heroes reach the workshop, they must navigate its many rooms and corridors, searching for clues about what happened to Santa and how to defeat the Disney Princesses. Along the way, they will encounter all sorts of interesting gadgets and toys, including a talking teddy bear and a spinning top that can create a whirlwind.

Roleplay Encounter: As the heroes search for a way to defeat the Disney Princesses, they come across a group of elves who are being held prisoner. The elves will plead with the heroes to help them escape and bring down the princesses, offering to share valuable information in exchange for their freedom. The heroes must decide whether to trust the elves and work with them, or continue on their own.

Conclusion: With the help of the elves and their knowledge of the workshop's defenses, the heroes are able to formulate a plan to take down the Disney Princesses and restore order to the North Pole. They launch a final assault on the workshop, using all their skills and resources to defeat the princesses and their minions. In the end, the heroes emerge victorious and are hailed as heroes by the elves and all the other Christmas creatures. The adventure concludes with the heroes being invited to join Mickey Mouse and the other Disney characters as they celebrate the holiday season and honor the memory of Santa Claus.

Mickey Mouse changes sides between the prompt and the story! Traitor!!!! Again, it isn't able to understand what a Disney Princess is, or give an example of one, or explain how the Disney Princesses would use their powers to fight the PCs (other than arguably the Snow Monsters? Elsa COULD have sent them, but I'm not sure the AI intends that).

New prompt: "Write a scenario for a Dungeons and Dragons game for a level 5 party, and include a frost giant and winter wolf."

Here is a scenario for a Dungeons and Dragons game for a level 5 party, featuring a frost giant and a winter wolf:

The party has been hired by a wealthy merchant to retrieve a valuable magical artifact from a remote mountain temple. The merchant has received word that the artifact is guarded by a frost giant and a winter wolf, and has offered the party a generous reward for its safe return.

As the party makes their way up the mountain, they must brave treacherous winter weather and navigate through frozen tunnels and ice-covered cliffs. Along the way, they encounter a group of frost giant raiders who are searching for the same artifact.

The party must use their skills and resources to outwit the frost giants and evade the winter wolf, who is said to be able to track its prey through the snow. As they approach the temple, they discover that the frost giant guarding the artifact is actually a powerful cleric, using the artifact to channel the power of an ancient god of winter.

The party must confront the frost giant cleric and her minions, and decide whether to take the artifact for themselves or return it to the merchant as promised. Will they be able to defeat the frost giant and winter wolf, or will they succumb to the icy dangers of the mountain temple? The fate of the artifact is in the hands of the party.

It looks like its ability to 'comprehend' is heavily assisted when multiple elements in the prompt are thematically related. So in this one it understands that both frost giants and winter wolves are cold-related, which it then uses to weave ice and snow and the 'ancient god of winter' through the adventure. And in the previous example, the prompt included both Santa and Christmas, so from context it could incorporate elves, toys, snow, and the North Pole. But 'Disney Princesses' were only mentioned once, so it wasn't quite able to make the logical leap into full-on Disney movie tropes, despite the Mickey Mouse reference.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases