D&D 5E AiME for 5e Monsters

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Given the low-power/low-magic feel of the setting, I guess its the same reasoning that why they didnt make stat for Gandalf: the party is not supposed to engage a Nazgul with chances of surviving. Its one of the thing that bothers me with AiME: if you read Adventures in the Wilderland, many questlines are made so the PC cant win and must flee or be saved by a deus ex machina, and you cant really ''kill'' the endboss, you only ask a powerful NPC to finish it or delay its plans for a couple years.

Eric V

Hero
Hmm. That's a less-than-attractive aspect of the setting...I remember in the Loremaster's Guide that one could dispense with that particular (deus ex machina) aspect, though.

I wish they had provided stats though; especially since the heroes aren't necessarily supposed to beat them. It would have helped with adventures and so forth. I had an idea to use one of the lesser known Nazgul as a long term opponent, maybe have one of the Blue wizards as a patron, that kind of thing...

Tales and Chronicles

Hmm. That's a less-than-attractive aspect of the setting...I remember in the Loremaster's Guide that one could dispense with that particular (deus ex machina) aspect, though.

I wish they had provided stats though; especially since the heroes aren't necessarily supposed to beat them. It would have helped with adventures and so forth. I had an idea to use one of the lesser known Nazgul as a long term opponent, maybe have one of the Blue wizards as a patron, that kind of thing...

And that's fair. I get that this type of setting is made to force the players to think outside the box and have them gather Patrons, Santuaries and Artefact to win a given situation, but many players will play the setting with the same assumption that with D&D: level appropriate encounters, players-only spotlight, do-it-yourself heroism etc. I know I wont be able to run a AiME campaign with my regular table, because the idea that I they can lose their character to corruption if they do what they usually do (aka stump on NPC and beg for loot) wont be fun to them. So, I think you should go ahead a have a lesser Nazgul as a high level foe, and have them gain access to not-well-known Patrons (these dont really need stats): Tolkien said that he hoped is setting would be used to create and inspire many adventures to the readers, and thats what your doing. I know I'll be using WOtC campaigns in this setting, even if it requires a lot of conversion and even if the usual canon tells me that a group of adventurer should not be able to engage a high-dragon.

Satyrn

First Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's very helpful.

I can't imagine -why- they haven't statted up the most famous opponents in the lore, though...

It's probably because they don't think it's appropriate for the characters to ever be able to deafeat these mighty foes.

Or maybe because they are such singularly unique foes they don't want to set down their stats in any definite way. So if the Loremaster requires a ringwraith suitable for 10th level PCs, he can make it, while some other Loremaster can make another for his 20th level table.

Eric V

Hero
:/

I hope that's not the reason. It's already in the book that Shadow is never defeated, merely delayed, so that shouldn't be an issue. If we were talking about something other than that which Aragorn drove off with a torch, but those things are definitely stat-able, no?

As for the alternative...well, I would think having them at 3 different power levels, (for example) would satisfy that. At least some guidelines, no? It's arguably the most classic confront-able foe in the lore!

(never mind no barrow-wights, Balrog, etc.)

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Oh...no, not fighter. The Ringwraiths aren't badass fighters. Fear is their greatest weapon.

Our chief weapon is surprise... surprise and fear... fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four... no... Amongst our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Tales and Chronicles

:/

I hope that's not the reason. It's already in the book that Shadow is never defeated, merely delayed, so that shouldn't be an issue. If we were talking about something other than that which Aragorn drove off with a torch, but those things are definitely stat-able, no?

As for the alternative...well, I would think having them at 3 different power levels, (for example) would satisfy that. At least some guidelines, no? It's arguably the most classic confront-able foe in the lore!

(never mind no barrow-wights, Balrog, etc.)

In Wilderlands Adventures, there's a Night Wight at CR 3 that makes for a good low level ''Nazgul repelled by torches'' if you buff it up a little. Or a Ghost from the MM could do the trick.

Next level could be the Wraith we discussed earlier (CR 5+).

Then, you have the Blackguard from Volo's at CR 8, which you could modify to make it more spectral or make it mounted.

Final apparition could be a Lich (CR21) where you remove its spells and change them for more martial features.

I would have to dig out my books for The One Ring to check for sure, but I do not remember them giving the Nazgul any stats right away for that system either. I think the first one appears in the second set of adventures they published, and that one has not been converted to AiME yet. That is the Darkening of Mirkwood campaign book, which includes stats for three of the Nazgul.

You could also go to Cubicle 7's website and check out their AiME forum, as I am sure someone there has done some homebrew stats by now that they could share.

Remove ads