Air Conditioner Madness (What do you set yours at?)

What temperature do you usually keep your AC set at when you're home and awake on hot days?

• 78 F / 25.5 C or above

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • 76-77 F / 24.5-25 C

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 74-75 F / 23.5-24 C

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 72-73 F / 22-23 C

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • 70-71 F / 21-21.5 C

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 69 F / 20.5 C or below

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Have AC but don't know what temperature the room is

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC even though it often gets above 86 F/30 C

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Don't have AC, but it rarely gets to 86F/30 C here

Votes: 12 15.4%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We recently got new air conditioning and heating units for our house (our old units were 30+ years old; we're in the US south where we will have at least a couple days each summer over 100 F/37.8 C).

When I mentioned what temperature we keep our house at in the summer (77 F = 25 C) a bunch of friends here were shocked we kept it that high, even if it's a degree F lower than what the US Department of Energy recommends. Being from the upper-midwest in the US, I was surprised that so many folks in the US south (where we are now) had it set so low compared to what I was used to (I would have thought they would be more heat tolerant).

So, what do you keep your AC set at when you're at home and awake on hot days? In the comments, I'm particularly interested in what region of the world you're from and the region you live in now.
I grew up in Michigan and live in sunny Southern California now. We keep our air conditioner at 72-73 usually.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I suppose I should mention... beyond the fact that everyone starts getting a mite tetchy when they're uncomfortably warm, being freezing-ass cold all the time is actually a medically validated therapy for controlling my anxiety, mood swings, and violent outbursts. In addition to keeping my office as close to 60° F as possible, I keep ice packs in my office fridge to literally cool off in a hurry... in order to metaphorically cool off in a hurry.

If your sinus cavities feel cold and wet, your brain thinks you're over your head in cold water and prioritizes problem solving skills over fight or flight reactions.

Zardnaar

Legend
Top of the morning to ya.

IMG_20210702_090501.jpg

22 inside, outside was around 0. Currently 10 in the sun.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We recently got new air conditioning and heating units for our house (our old units were 30+ years old; we're in the US south where we will have at least a couple days each summer over 100 F/37.8 C).

When I mentioned what temperature we keep our house at in the summer (77 F = 25 C) a bunch of friends here were shocked we kept it that high, even if it's a degree F lower than what the US Department of Energy recommends. Being from the upper-midwest in the US, I was surprised that so many folks in the US south (where we are now) had it set so low compared to what I was used to (I would have thought they would be more heat tolerant).

So, what do you keep your AC set at when you're at home and awake on hot days? In the comments, I'm particularly interested in what region of the world you're from and the region you live in now.
I’m from the Southern Central Valley in California (Bakersfield, specifically). It is over 100 for about 90 days a year, here, and over 110 for anywhere from a few days to over a dozen.

I keep the ACs between 74 and 76, but that’s because they’re small mobile/wall units, not central air. The place stays around 76-78 in the hottest part of the day, and we keep our room 75 or so at night (door closed using our small window unit). But we have enough shade that it doesn’t take that much power to do so.

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember US tv shows in the 90's. Didn't really know what air conditioning was except maybe in a shop or government building.

Our ones were called "windows" with two settings. Open or closed.

Even now everyone has heat pumps I'm told they're different as they can heat and cool.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Your setting seem high to me, but I'm sure it's still a respite from the heat. Especially since it will dehumidify the air as well.

We keep ours at 72° F. I'd keep it a couple degrees cooler, but my spouse and 7yo complain about it being cold already.

I'm in New England, USA, for reference.
I had a roommate for a while who paid the power bill on his own because he insisted on keeping the house at 65 year round. I loved it. My wife gets cold at 75, so…I guess I’ll never get to live that life! 😂

Remove ads