D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Malsoor listens to the vizier, eyes narrowing at her in the dim light. After several tense heart beats, at last the water bearer places a hand over his heart and inclines his head respectfully. "You are indeed daughter of the siswa. A fool could have asked for much more, but would have received far less. As you have spoken, so shall it be. I swear upon the water of Hakim to come to your aid in the future. As for the other thing..." Looking around as he secures the clasps on his shirt, the water bearer's eyes settle on the worn head of an ancient pick laying upon one of the tables, elevated above the sundry surgical tools and bandages. Rising, he retrieves it and, after a moment's reflection gazing down upon the pitted metal pick-head, he hands it to Akilah, "From my days mining the great ice that once lay beneath Hakim."[/SECTION]

Thateous

Explorer
"If you're able to part with the cavernesi, we are headed into the Badu-al-kabir in search of these raiders. Though I doubt a being who could live for so long would be interested in something so petty as revenge, the offer still stands." She turns to leave but pauses. "I am Akilah, Vizer and daughter to Ali al-Hadd, Sheikh of Tajar. It was a pleasure meeting you, water-bearer..." she then resumes her move toward the exit.

Akilah takes the pick and says over her shoulder, "Not sure how much more 'recovering' you need to do but take your time getting up. You're not the only 'cursed' one in the oasis and I'd rather not leave the others alone for too long. I must be going" she say with a short bow of her head.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal looks on with grave eyes, his powerful hands curled around the Holy Man's staff, the runes of his tabar glistening in the low light.

"Enjoy your freedom oh water bearer... and heed the Vizier's words. You have been given a great gift, do not spoil it. For if you do fall to baser instincts, she will not be the only one to act. I may be but a pilgrim, but the Universe is my Temple".

Punctuating his last word, Lal lifted the tabar a few inches and let the shaft strike the ground. The impact of the staff on the stone made a sound that was not particularly loud... but one that resonated, and seemed to carry far beyond what it should have.

With that, he turned and followed the Vizier out.

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Malsoor rises enough to bow, though he does not relinquish his grip of the bedside, as if he has yet to realize his time of convalescence has truly ended. "I shall remember our meeting, Akilah, daughter of Ali al-Hadd. There is much to be done to repair and fortify the caravanserai... no, I won't be leaving immediately. I have grown to...care...for this place, these people. May our paths cross as Fate wills." He watches Lal Qalandar quietly with an unnerving stare from the dim light of the oil lamp, staring at the dervish even as he and Akilah leave the sick room and make their way back to the main cavern of the carvanserai, where the jann Usqual is finishing his tale...[/SECTION]

Matthan

Explorer
"Thank you for the story, noble Usqual. It is the first I have heard of the history of your people. I was always taught to seek out the wisdom of every tale and treat it like treasure. I see two pearls in your tale. Some burdens can only be carried alongside others so the wise man should do as Shakar and seek the strength of many hearts to aid him in his journey. However, Shakar's family speaks to the paralysis of fear. They were afraid to shoulder their part of the burden and remained trapped. A burden not shared becomes shackles to the soul."

Husam adopts an apologetic tone as he continues, "I will do my best to treasure the wisdom you have shared, but I must admit my curiosity, noble Jann, and pray that you will forgive any insult as proceeding from a place of concern. Do you carry the wisdom of this tale? Have you shared your burdens or allowed them to shackle you?"

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Great roleplaying all around. I still struggle with how to award Inspiration, but let's say that [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] gets it for great negotiation / resisting the vampire's temptation, [MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION] gets it for extremely in-character quotable wit (that risked antagonizing an ancient vampire), and [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] gets it for masterfully discerning the moral of the jann's tale. Feel free to chime in if I miss anything or you all think something merits Inspiration; it's probably the area of DMing where I am most fallible.

[SECTION]Usqual, back still perfectly erect spreads his hand over the rug and the glowing sand hisses and seems to stream back into his hand and disappear. His copper-and-verdant green eyes twinkle at noble Husam seated across from him, bowing his head at the half-orc's wisdom. "Do I carry the wisdom of Shakar?" He echoes, letting the question float in the main cavern of the caravanserai carved from sandstone. "It is like reaching for a stonefruit on a tree that grows slightly further the further one reaches. But I am freshly burdened by the fighting in the Badu al-Kabir against the honor-less jann of Khaldun. The losses my people sustained were great, and those surviving were scattered in the seven directions including Sheikh Ja’afar-al-Din al-Shakari..." For a moment, Usual's voice lingers behind his veil, as if he were going to say more, but then falls into silent reflection. His eyes grow heavy at some memory, like they should be welling with tears, but no tears come. His waters have been stolen.

Thereupon, shortly after Hadia's return, Vizier Akilah and Lal Qalandar rejoin the main room, providing Usqual the moment he needs to regain his characteristically enigmatic and suave demeanor.[/SECTION]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: thank you :)

Lal looked grave as he entered the room. He sat upon a cushion and closed his eyes for a moment. As he opened them, a smile blossomed upon his face, and he took the benevolent countenance the others had grown used to.

"Fate smiles upon us. The water bearer is well again. Furthermore, we have learned more about the raiders - They are servants of the Brotherhood of True Flame, and their master is hidden in the Badu al-Kabir. Justice shall be delivered upon these brigands, and peace will return to the Oasis".

... I hope the conversation here were equaly beneficial?

Husam, trained to notice such thing, can see that Lal's Tabar is within easy reach, and that the runes on the blade seem to be glittering a bit more than normal...

Matthan

Explorer
Husam notices the subtle hints of disquiet about the monk and shifts slightly to be ready for an attack. He keeps an eye on Lal waiting for a signal just in case. "Master Usqual was just sharing a story with us. You would have enjoyed it. He is an incredible storyteller."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal's smile widens

"Ah, I am sorry I missed it. I do enjoy a good story. I only caught fragments of the end. Something about fighting in the Badu al-Kabir? Given that is were we are probably headed..."

"I have been remiss - a good story deserves a reward, and so does hospitality. I have pondered what trinket of my homeland I should give you oh Usqual, and I can think of nothing more appropriate than this"

Lal reached into his sack of trinkets, and after a few moment took out a small vial of clear glass, containing water. Despite the waxed cork, over the years some of the water had evaporated, and the vial was only half full. He presented the vial to Usqual and looked at him straight in the eye, and intoned:

"This is the water of the God River. It has many sources, as waters are collected from the endless glaciers of the Mountains of the Moon. Then they are swept countless leagues under fierce jungle, and they meet the sea at the Yellow City. On its banks one always finds temples and shrines. No one has ever counted the shrines, powers and divinities that are followed there - but each has its cult, praying, worshiping and sacrificing on the shores. This water has the power of ice, traces of countless sacrifices, and the essence of divinity. Perhaps it will ease you the pain from your lost waters..."

Remove ads