D&D 5E Alacrity, a new Ability Score

Yaarel

He Mage
With initiative variants cropping up lately, it got me thinking about initiative, the relative value of the Dex score, and previous edition speed modifiers. Lately I've begun to wonder what people would think of introducing an ability score determining a character's speed and ability to snap to action that was separate from Dex.

With that in mind, I introduce you to the Alacrity ability score.

Alacrity is an optional ability score like Honor or Sanity. When you use Alacrity, your Dexterity modifier isn't applied to your initiative modifier; instead, apply your Alacrity modifier.

Alacrity also helps determine how fast your character is. Every +1 (or -1) of your Alacrity modifier increases (or decreases) your speed by 2.5 feet. You may choose to apply these speed increases in increments of 5 feet and ignore the effects of a mere +2.5 foot increase.

Alacrity ability checks are used when fleeing an enemy, when chasing after someone, or when trying to get somewhere (or to something) before someone else does.

Any thoughts, concerns, or constructive criticisms would be appreciated.

I like the idea of Alacrity, featuring speed and initiative. I would also include the Reflex save and AC Dodge AC. And Jumping and Climbing and Tumbling as part of the Move Rate.

We seem to be looking at something like the Athletics skill check as a separate ability.

Similarly, I would rather see the Perception skill check as a separate ability.

An other thread consolidates into five distinctive abilities:
• Athletics (quick and sporty)
• Size (big and tough)
• Perception (sensing and surgical)
• Intelligence (knowledgeable and intuitive)
• Charm (charming and willful)

I like how Alacrity/Athletics modifies the base speed.

Yaarel

He Mage
Seriously, the reason for having different names, is because they represent different ways of organizing what the character can do.

The new organizations optimize better between simplicity and realism.

Yaarel

He Mage
Regarding speed.

2½ feet per bonus point seems awkward. (It makes sense, seeming to have the Wood Elf Fleet of Foot in mind, seeming comparable to a +2 bonus.)

What if, each bonus point equals +5 feet speed. But the base speed starts at 25, instead of 30?

So, score 10 is Speed 25.
Score 12 is Speed 30.
Score 14 is Speed 35.
Score 16 is Speed 40.
Score 18 is Speed 45.
Score 20 is Speed 50.

Note, riding horse, deer, and the like have speed 60.

With this, the Wood Elf Fleet of Foot should probably be +10 speed.

Note, a score of 1, with a −5 penalty is essentially speed 0.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I like the idea of Alacrity, featuring speed and initiative. I would also include the Reflex save and AC Dodge AC. And Jumping and Climbing and Tumbling as part of the Move Rate.

I agree that those make sense. I do feel like it would be getting to the point where Alacrity is becoming an ability score almost as big as Dex currently is though.

I like how Alacrity/Athletics modifies the base speed.

Thank you. It just kind of seemed appropriate that speed and the ability that modifies initiative would be tied together.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Regarding speed.

2½ feet per bonus point seems awkward. (It makes sense, seeming to have the Wood Elf Fleet of Foot in mind, seeming comparable to a +2 bonus.)

I'll go you one better and simply admit that +2.5 ft of speed per +1 doesn't just seem awkward, it is awkward. It definitely needs a change. I was thinking of just saying "+5 feet per four points over 10, and -5 feet per four points under 10." Or, of using this language "+5 feet (or -5 feet) per +2 (or -2) of Alacrity ability modifier."

What if, each bonus point equals +5 feet speed. But the base speed starts at 25, instead of 30?

So, score 10 is Speed 25.
Score 12 is Speed 30.
Score 14 is Speed 35.
Score 16 is Speed 40.
Score 18 is Speed 45.
Score 20 is Speed 50.

Note, riding horse, deer, and the like have speed 60.

With this, the Wood Elf Fleet of Foot should probably be +10 speed.

Note, a score of 1, with a −5 penalty is essentially speed 0.

I wanted to avoid altering the already given base speeds, and to avoid Alacrity having a massive impact on a character's speed. It's okay if it boosts or restricts it a bit, but having each +/- 1 equaling 5 feet could lead to bad places when a character's speed is also reduced by encumbrance or ray of frost (because those things could easily result in a negative speed).

MechaPilot

Explorer
I think that would be my preference.

Or you could use a table!

I decided to steer away from a table when I tied the speed bonus to the modifier instead of the score. My initial idea was to have the speed bonus exist only at the upper end of the score, sort of like what AD&D 2e might have done with it; like this:

16 - 17 = +5 feet
18 - 20 = +10 feet

That said, I could use a table. But, if I did, I'd be awfully tempted to make the speed bonus and penalty only apply at the more extreme ends of the table.

Yaarel

He Mage
In my experience, being +5 feet faster than your opponent is as good as being +50 feet faster.

If you can outrun and kite, then you can out run and kite.

So, the impact of +5 speed versus +25 speed, seems negligible to the gaming balance.

Additionally, the range of longbow keeps speeds irrelevant.

The range of player speeds from 30 (human) to 40 (cat, wolf) to 50 (lion, elk) are all within normal beast speeds, and seem like something a legendary hero should be able to do.

Satyrn

First Post
I, uh, should've done something to clarify that my table comment was meant jokingly. :blush:

I think having the bonus come at 14 will rather already count as sort of extreme. It's approaching high enough that someone will be debating placing their 14 in it or Constitution.

Remove ads