D&D 5E Alacrity, a new Ability Score

Sadras

Legend
Like what? Is there a problem with fast speed? How is it different from flying?

It can get ridiculous in open terrain with running around opponents/monsters who are slower and then just pelting them at distance with bows/spells like they are some sort of two-legged hun cavalry unit.

Table doesn't have access to the Fly spell.

Yaarel

He Mage
It can get ridiculous in open terrain with running around opponents/monsters who are slower and then just pelting them at distance with bows/spells like they are some sort of two-legged hun cavalry unit.

Wood Elf can already do that.

Not every character will build a high speed score.

Many monsters will themselves have high speed scores, like they do now.

Sadras

Legend
Wood Elf can already do that.

Sure, and I'd be more comfortable not to open that possibility to all characters of all races. I prefer combat speed being modified by race, magic or feat rather than individual scores.

At our table, characters have a travel speed and a combat speed. Based on equipment, all of the PCs are considered encumbered. In combat, they drop their backbacks (interact with the environment action) and engage at their standard speed (base racial speed).

If not on horseback, travel speed for the party is based on the slowest character in the group.

My issue arose predominantly due to a player once playing a monk who built him around movement - I don't want that issue again (no monk class allowed, no bs with movement).

Remove ads