• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment restrictions? not in my campaign

Piratecat said:
When someone turns evil in my game, they generally become a NPC. An evil campaign simply isn't the type of game I want to run.

Likewise -- Last couple of games I've required "good or neutral" starting alignments. Players may drift toward evil (and we had two evil characters in the party by the end of the last campaign as a result of a ressurection mishap -- but only because the players were mature enough to handle it, and one PC became an NPC quickly) but are not encouraged to.

If alignment bugs you, though, rather than eliminate it -- which can be tough as many spell and magical effects depend on it -- I'd recommend you simply ignore it. Have PC's pick an alignment as a label, to determine class eligibility and the effects of spells cast upon them. That alignment is fixed and does not change. Thereafter, ignore it, except for adjudicating spell effects -- let them roleplay however they want (for paladins, the most alignment-restricted class, have them roleplay according to a code rather than specific alignment -- they lost paladinhood if they break the code in some egregious manner, but not based on non-LG acts).

Alignment absolutely does not have to be a straightjacket.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads