D&D 5E Alignment

Rogerd1

Adventurer
So who keeps standard alignment, and who discards it?

What do you use instead? Does this affect the standard cosmology based upon alignment?

Thoughts and discussion.

I keep the standard alignments. I do not really enforce it beyond the "no evil" policy we have. I use alignment as a basic guideline on how to play some foes. Beyond that, not much. But strangely, that not much is pretty much unavoidable and required. Way more simple than writing a paragraph about intents and motivations.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
At our table, alignment is just a shorthand designation that tries (and usually fails) to encapsulate a character's needs, wants, desires, attitudes, personality quirks and so on. What will happen is that after the player has figured out all of these things of their personality both before and as they play... usually an alignment can be determined after the fact for what their alignment might be. But we never start with alignment and build out.

It's for this reason that I don't have a "no evil" policy. Because my players might very well create a character that works completely fine as part of the group, might go along with everything the group wants to do... but when you look at their personality and desires they might very well be classified as "evil". But at that point, it's all good.

My house rule is using aligment with allegiance, and even when these may be opposite, for example a chaotic sherif who breaks the rules usually to defend the law, or a zealot doing evil actions in the name of the supreme goodhood. And spells or other powers with aligment key can hurt enemies with the same alignment but different allegiance (race, brotherhood, country, religion, family, tribe, clan...) for example a drow cleric vs an orc shaman. I think the chaothic characters need a common allegiance too cooperate to work together as a team. And "chaotic" characters can behave totally "lawful", but only with the members of the their allegiance.

Other house rule is chaotic good means to be attuned with the primal forces, or behaving "lawful" but only with the members of an allegiance.

the Jester

Legend
I keep alignment. However, I encourage Unaligned as an option; having an alignment is an active choice that requires work to maintain.

I use alignments as cosmic forces, so I still have (f'rinstance) Anarchic and Axiomatic Weapons in my game. In fact, the struggle between Law and Chaos, how either extreme can be bad, and how Neutrality can be an active force (in the form of seeking the Balance) has been a dominating theme for the entire campaign, since the mid-90s.

I keep it, but do not enforce it. It's just something in the background that summarizes your deeds, and slowly changes depending on how you act. It occasionally comes up when determining the effects of a spell or ability, but mostly it's just an invisible descriptor.

I do run alignment as determined by outside forces. So you might rationalize your actions, but the universe doesn't agree.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Depends on the campaign. Mostly I don’t bother with it any more; if a player really wants to write an alignment on their character sheet I won’t stop them, but it means about as much as writing down that their character is a Sagittarius, or an ENTJ or whatever.

Occasionally, I’ll run a campaign where alignment actually matters. In that case it’s defined in pretty strict terms, and the alignment a player writes on their sheet is a statement of intent. It’s how the character sees themselves, or an ideal they try to live up to. The character’s “true” alignment is based on their actions, and it’s what matters for the purpose of any mechanics that care what their alignment is.

Remove ads