D&D 5E All I do is Bless, Bless, Bless

Stormonu

Legend
"my first round is usually bless and a cantrip"

How is it that you're allowed to cast both bless and a cantrip in the same round? Is that a limited-times-per-day ability?
If the Bless is somehow changed to bonus action, it can be done.

It's on page 202 of the PHB, under Casting a Spell: Bonus Action

BONUS ACTION
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

In the game I run, I'm bit more lax. You can also get two spells off if you cast a bonus action cantrip (such as Shillelagh) and a leveled spell as an action. Basically, one cantrip and one levelled spell; one of the two must take a bonus action.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Play whatever is fun for you. Simple but true statement.

There's a common misunderstanding in D&D that every group has to be optimized so everyone compliments everyone else. If you don't like casting bless, do something else. Seriously, you'll feel better. It's not much fun when you're waiting for your turn to roll around, and the barbarian rolls d20 x2 (reckless) + damage dice, then again for Extra Attack, and then someone else does the same, and then the Moon Druid shapeshifts into something cool and does the same, and you simply say "I cast bless." No dice rolling, no tension (OMG, the battle is close, will I hit), just a declaration and you fade into the background for combat.

Some people are cool with this. They contributed to a successful combat in a way that doesn't get recognized. But if you're bored with it, do something else. Odds are at your levels, several of your gamers aren't missing much anyways with reckless attacks. Clerics have awesome options. Finally, in a good D&D campaign, it's not all about combat. Clerics have an amazing repertoire of spells that can allow you to solve nearly any situation. See if you can think of some creative use that might bypass some combats (e.g. speak with dead on enemy sergeant to learn their defensive layout and so on). Gives you a chance to shine in a way others can't.

meshon

Explorer
Really appreciating the responses, it's renewed my confidence in this character. In tonight's game I got right into melee with some kind of giant worm, took a 74hp hit, cast bless (the thing had a high AC so it made sense) healed one of the barbarians and used Voice of Authority to give the extra attack, and then dealt the killing blow with a cantrip! Also made some bad decisions out of combat and had a great time.
Thanks!

jgsugden

Legend
Good gods. What brought about that class combo?
Story.

The PC was a Glasya Tiefling Ranger. She was brought up to believe that good and evil were labels that people used to oversimplify complex situations. For example, Asmodeus was labeled Evil and spoken of with curses because he had the audacity to demand what was promised to him in exchange for his leadership in the fight against Demons (the Blood War).

As the time went by, this backstory became more of her primary story, and she started to preach for Asmodeus. The Cleric and Divine Soul levels were a reflection of her faith. As she rose in her faith, she was tasked with certain "responsibilities" that lent themselves to rogue and fighter levels. She is an unholy assassin.

Zardnaar

Legend
Spirit Guardians and upcast it using lvl 4-6 slots.

That's 4d8-6d8 damage per round. Toll the dead is usually better than sacred flame.

Combine with spiritual weapon can also be upcast in a level 4 slot.

If you really need to nova 6d8+2d8+wisdom and cantrip damage as well.

Spiritual guardians also lasts 10 minutes so you can get multiple combats.

Waste of time using weapons as well. See if you can swap out divine strike for the new rule in Tasha's adding d8 to cantrips. 4d8 radiant sacred flames.

A ran a campaign all of the way to 20th and beyond (lots of boons). The Cleric of Light wore heavy armor and used a magic staff and shield. He tanked a LOT of hard shots and cast spells to attack. It was good for him to be in the thick of combat, especially in cramped quarters because the rest of the PCs were melee and could teleport. He would use his blinding flash to impose disadvantage and cause a lot of missed attacks. Every missed attack is one less heal. Also, he'd cast Spirit Guardians regularly, and increase the spell level to 5th (rarely 6th because there are too many good healing spells at that level). The damage adds up very quickly.

You have to be brave. If you're wearing heavy armor and using a shield get out there and fight. Dare them to attack you.

Zardnaar

Legend
A ran a campaign all of the way to 20th and beyond (lots of boons). The Cleric of Light wore heavy armor and used a magic staff and shield. He tanked a LOT of hard shots and cast spells to attack. It was good for him to be in the thick of combat, especially in cramped quarters because the rest of the PCs were melee and could teleport. He would use his blinding flash to impose disadvantage and cause a lot of missed attacks. Every missed attack is one less heal. Also, he'd cast Spirit Guardians regularly, and increase the spell level to 5th (rarely 6th because there are too many good healing spells at that level). The damage adds up very quickly.

You have to be brave. If you're wearing heavy armor and using a shield get out there and fight. Dare them to attack you.

Difference in AC is only one in medium armor and you become SAD keying everything off wisdom.

I love my Order Cleric! My usual routine is

round 1 = Bonus action Bless (free attack for the barbarian) + Toll the dead
round 2 = Bonus action Spiritual Weapon at the highest level + Cure Wounds (possibly on the barbarian, free attack) or Toll the Dead
round 3= Bonus action keep hitting with Spiritual Weapon + Cure Wounds a tank (free attack) or Toll the Dead, or shoot a Flame Strike or high-level Guiding Bolt.

If I loose concentration on Bless, I take the opportunity to use another concentration spell, like Spirit Guardians or Dawn.

Remove ads