D&D 5E All I do is Bless, Bless, Bless

I've been playing an Order cleric, now at 11th level. It's a heavy combat game and I'm feeling like my contributions are pretty limited. The other PCs are a bard, moon druid, and two barbarians, so my first round is usually bless and a cantrip, then spiritual weapon second round.
In heavy armour I've got the best AC in the party, but my spear isn't much of a contribution to melee and my reaction attacks aren't much of a threat. Con save is +8, so failing concentration checks isn't usually an issue but casting a cantrip is almost always a better option than a melee attack, so why be in melee?
So here I am, heavily armoured with just over 100hp and I hang about in the back with the bard, maintaining concentration on the bless. My main contribution is to make a lot of noise any time the Blessings of the Mocker Gods turn a miss into a hit or make a saving throw succeed. I really have to sell myself to remind everyone I'm contributing!
My healing hardly even matters at this point. I can burn my 6th level slot and just barely mitigate one round of damage on one character.
Bless is almost always the best option for concentration so I barely use spell slots. I end each day with a big chunk of unused potential.
I feel like I'm not doing enough and I'm trying to decide if there's a way to up my game or if I should just talk to the DM about switching to a light domain cleric so that I'm not wasting the heavy armour and radiant melee damage. And I don't think I've ever used the Order domain's channel divinity. Not once.
Thanks for any advice, opprobrium, or commiseration!

Cheers,
Meshon
I'm starting a 4e campaign again (as a player). I used to use Lance of Feith a lot, so I could attack and buff in the same round. Guiding Bolt in 5e works the same way but it's not a cantrip :( Still if you aren't using up spell slots that may be a good idea, even if it's less powerful than Bless. You need to have your fun too.

I think in general 3e and 5e (and 2e!) didn't have the greatest spell options for clerics as the class has fewer supporting tropes than the wizard. So back in 2e there was the Chant spell, which was similar to Bless: a slightly more powerful bonus but you had to chant every round. The spell didn't appear in 3e, and why would it when the bard could do that as a free action? It was a flavorful spell though.

Undrave

Legend
Really appreciating the responses, it's renewed my confidence in this character. In tonight's game I got right into melee with some kind of giant worm, took a 74hp hit, cast bless (the thing had a high AC so it made sense) healed one of the barbarians and used Voice of Authority to give the extra attack, and then dealt the killing blow with a cantrip! Also made some bad decisions out of combat and had a great time.
Thanks!
Super happy to hear!

Don't forget to try Inflict Wounds sometimes, that thing that hit like a truck!

Also, back to the rituals bit I mentioned earlier, the Cleric gets access to Water Walk. It doesn't seem like much but for 1 hour, up to ten people can walk on liquids and that include stuff like quicksand and SNOW. It's surprisingly versatile and I really kicked myself the one time I forgot it could work on snow when my group had to trudge through the under dark to get out of a snowed in mountain fortress... We could have strode down the mountain like Legolas!

jgsugden

Legend
Really appreciating the responses, it's renewed my confidence in this character. In tonight's game I got right into melee with some kind of giant worm, took a 74hp hit, cast bless (the thing had a high AC so it made sense) healed one of the barbarians and used Voice of Authority to give the extra attack, and then dealt the killing blow with a cantrip! Also made some bad decisions out of combat and had a great time.
Thanks!
Awesome. I really love the RP side of the Voice of Authority and Cleric of Order. It is a lot of fun to be the Battlefront Leader cleric.

There has only been one PC in 5E that I decided I had to retire due to it being mechanically 'unfun' and ineffective. However, that was not a flaw of the class - I built a PC that was aimed to support melee combatants and the rest of the group decided to play ranged PCs (and we did not discuss PCs until they met in the prologue). I've had other PCs that I retired early for RP reasons (usually when I have a deep RP backstory and the DM has no interest in exploring any element of it, so I retire the PC to perhaps run it with another DM at another time), but that was the only one where the RP was fine, but the mechanics just did not fit the game.

Remove ads