• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All Possible Ability Scores for 22 Points

randolph

First Post
PrecociousApprentice said:
Condensing this data down even further, it seems you could easily get just a couple of choices.

1) Do you want to overweight your primary stat?
2) Do you want to overweight one of your secondary stats?
3) Is one secondary stat more important than the other?
4) Are you OK with a penalty in a stat?
This spreadsheet might help during this prioritizing process.

Mirtek

Hero
What about this:

Human melee cleric
Str: 16 (+2 human stat bonus to make it 18)
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 11

All stat increases to bumb Str and Wis

rhm001

First Post
Bolongo said:
3) For most builds, absolutely. I would say a lot of builds don't actually have a proper tertiary stat - often you just want a 3rd score to be relatively decent to shore up one of your defenses or to get more hit points.

I think there are a number of builds that absolutely require a tertiary stat. I'll point to the paladin, just because I think it's the clearest example: Strength and Charisma for damage, Wisdom for many of the beneficial effects from powers (number of Lay on Hands/day, etc.). You can swap Strength and Charisma back and forth, or even make one tertiary, but you'll always need a Wisdom bonus. This hurts even more because you won't have many points to spare for Intelligence or Dexterity to help your Reflex.

Mirtek

Hero
rhm001 said:
I think there are a number of builds that absolutely require a tertiary stat. I'll point to the paladin, just because I think it's the clearest example: Strength and Charisma for damage, Wisdom for many of the beneficial effects from powers (number of Lay on Hands/day, etc.). You can swap Strength and Charisma back and forth, or even make one tertiary, but you'll always need a Wisdom bonus. This hurts even more because you won't have many points to spare for Intelligence or Dexterity to help your Reflex.
And don't forgt Con, he's a defender after all

silentounce

First Post
Mirtek said:
What about this:

Human melee cleric
Str: 16 (+2 human stat bonus to make it 18)
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 11

All stat increases to bumb Str and Wis

The 11 Cha is a waste, especially for someone with a high Wis. Why not 17, 10, 13, 10, 15, 8? and you can add the +2 to either Str or Wis.

Mirtek

Hero
silentounce said:
The 11 Cha is a waste, especially for someone with a high Wis. Why not 17, 10, 13, 10, 15, 8? and you can add the +2 to either Str or Wis.
I thought the 11 would be nice because the first +1 to all stats makes it 12 and then I get the +1 bonus (there are a few things that benefit slightly from +1 Cha mod).

The way I see it I need Str as my primary hit/damage stat for most attacks. Being a cleric the secondary stat is still Wis, for better healing and some powera relying on it. Then charisma could be my teritary stat because same power also rely on that, but I chose Con as secondary stat because although I don't have any power reyling on it and Str is already adding to the Fort defence, I just though that more hp/surges are alway nice to have for someone being a melee guy.

In the end my problem is that I can't really decide at the moment because it looks like I will play only RPGA games and we don't know how many points the RPGA will use for character creation.

silentounce

First Post
Well, with everything you've said above you could multiclass fighter and focus on weapons based on Con. That seems to be what you're going for.

Mirtek

Hero
silentounce said:
Well, with everything you've said above you could multiclass fighter and focus on weapons based on Con. That seems to be what you're going for.
I did indeed think about this option. In the end I decided against it for three reasons:

1. I like swords and with sword the fighter stats seem to be Str/Dex

2. I like 2h fighting and it seems to be inferior to 1h+shield. As clerics have no shield proficiency it more easy to justify going for the inferior option because I can't use shields without spendng a feat anyway

3. If I am the healer I don't risk ending in groups without healer (my last RPGA game was such a kind of game, the only healing the group of 6 characters had were 5 potions and 3 healing belts :D )

So my goal is to find the stat mix which gives me the best combination of melee progress (plan to use a bastard sword 2handed) and healing ability so that I can have fun hitting things with my big sword while still healing whoever needs healing

silentounce

First Post
Mirtek said:
I did indeed think about this option. In the end I decided against it for three reasons:

1. I like swords and with sword the fighter stats seem to be Str/Dex

2. I like 2h fighting and it seems to be inferior to 1h+shield. As clerics have no shield proficiency it more easy to justify going for the inferior option because I can't use shields without spendng a feat anyway

3. If I am the healer I don't risk ending in groups without healer (my last RPGA game was such a kind of game, the only healing the group of 6 characters had were 5 potions and 3 healing belts :D )

So my goal is to find the stat mix which gives me the best combination of melee progress (plan to use a bastard sword 2handed) and healing ability so that I can have fun hitting things with my big sword while still healing whoever needs healing

Have you thought about warlord? Because it seems like the only reason you chose cleric was because they have healing. Or, heck, go fighter and then multiclass into cleric for a little bit of healing boost. It really seems to me like you want to play a fighter, but are just afraid of being stuck in a party without healing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads