D&D 5E Alphastream - Why No RPG Company Truly Competes with Wizards of the Coast

darjr

I crit!
Also I think the idea that 5e is based on CRs success is another denial. Maybe I’ve said it before.

The fact these sorts of denials show up so easily in discussions about 5es success, while baffling to me in some level, shows why I think Teos article and collection of data is important.

Also with credit to ENWorld and the community here too. For instance some of Teos references lead back to this site and work done here.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
I will politely disagree. All other generic rule sets are either clones of D&D or simply so ingrained with a specific setting that they are stuck with their fan base. Palladium is quite generic, but the system is quite heavy to learn. And each settings, though diverse, are bound to the rule sets which are far from generic.

I have to politely suggest your experience here is not sufficient. I can name any number of generic rules sets that are neither setting specific nor D&D clones; a number of them aren't even specifically aimed at fantasy. Savage Worlds comes to mind just as a well known example.

Bolares

Hero
The Call of Chulthu is to offer a gameplay totally opposed to D&D and dungeons crawlers, more focused into investigation and survival horror, when D&D PCs are practically one-man-army, even the glass-canon spellcasters.

If I was Hasbro I would worry about Paizo, Paradox Entertaiment or Chaosium being acquired by some cinema or videogame studio, because then those franchises could become true rivals.

There is not only one factor but a combo. CR helped a lot, but also Stranger Things, for example, or those arcades by Capcom, or the videogames Baldur's Gate and Newerwinter Nights.

And other advantage is D&D is the game parents want to play with their children and these are willing to play with the older members of the family. Even Ravenloft or Dark Sun can be not-too-mature for teen players. It is a serious advantage when players can start before when other titles are for +18 (and not only for the threads, but too complicated rules).

* D&D is not only a system and a franchise, but a "metaverse", and only World of Darkness by White Wolf has grown enough to be a potential rival.

And games based in famous franchises could sell more, but these have got a "time limit", and after the licencing deal it was to start from zero again.

* The weak point of D&D is not ready yet to be totally multi-genre and right power balance with the firearms and high-tech. A d20 Modern 2.0. is totally possible, and a new Star Wars d20 but these can't be compatible with D&D because barbarians, monks, paladins and focused melee-fight classes are replaced by gunslingers and one-man-army.

* The 80's cartoon helped to promote the franchise out of the English-speaker countries. I started with the Endless Quest game-books, a loved memory from my childhood. I started to know really the RPGs near of the end of 92 year, thanks by a one-shot magazine.
CoC is great. There is no shot it becomes a competitor to 5e.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
All other generic rule sets are either clones of D&D or simply so ingrained with a specific setting that they are stuck with their fan base.
That's not true at all. Fate, Cortex, GURPS, WOIN, Cypher, Genisys (sp?), Savage Worlds -- none of those are related to D&D, nor are they tied to a specific setting. But none of them are nearly as successful as D&D. It's not the genericness that's the magic sauce.

Oofta

Legend
That's not true at all. Fate, Cortex, GURPS, WOIN, Cypher, Genisys (sp?), Savage Worlds -- none of those are related to D&D, nor are they tied to a specific setting. But none of them are nearly as successful as D&D. It's not the genericness that's the magic sauce.
I would say that being generic enough is one ingredient. Name recognition, momentum/popularity, flexibility without going overboard, simple enough rules are a few other ingredients. We know it's not just the first two in the list as evidenced by 4E at least not at that point in time but it's also hard for any other game to gain traction because of them.

I know I continue to play D&D because I'm familiar with the basic tropes and concepts, it does what I need well enough that I don't need to look elsewhere. If D&D hadn't ever existed I just don't see games like CoC that are more genre specific being the top dog.

Remove ads